Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I want to future-proof a little by going hybrid or electric.
I thought about that. But things are changing so fast, I don't want to drop $70k+ on a truck.
The SC price point is low enough that I can trade it in 3-4 years if something amazing happens somewhere else.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
Unlike so many today, I'm trying to stay away from all the tech they are putting in cars and trucks these days. Prefer trouble free basic MPI and a proven slush box, with a nice sounding radio and hands free Blue Tooth and cruise control for the only tech. Knobs and buttons turn me on! :LOL: That's why I really like what Hyundai has offered up in the Santa Cruz SE base model. I'm a simple guy that enjoys mechanical things over electrical things.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Although after watching the electric F150 reveal, I'm almost tempted to wait for some kind of hybrid/electric option in the SC, Maverick, or next gen Ranger. I have a feeling the gas mileage of the SC won't be spectacular (still probably best gas powered truck), but I think I want to future-proof a little by going hybrid or electric.
IMO nothing is less future proof than buying a non-Tesla EV in 21.

1) People often think that fuel is the most expensive aspect of owning a vehicle, but its not, its depreciation per mile! EV resale value even in this market is horrible, whereas if you bought a regular F-150 recently you could probably resell it for what you bought it or more. Tesla is oddly an exception with great resale. And for those that plan to keep the vehicle 10+ years to where resale isn't as important, expensive out of warranty battery replacement makes them more expensive to maintain. I was shocked when I heard BMW charges $16K to replace the battery in a i3 out of warranty for example, when even very low mileage 2014s sell for under $14K (vehicles that were originally $50K).
2) EV tech is still changing too rapidly compared to mature ICE tech, so today's EVs are going to feel outdated a lot faster than their ICE counterparts.
3) Still in the chicken/egg dilemma where EV infrastructure is so drastically inferior to gasoline/diesel
4) The far left doesn't have a monopoly on power in the US, so natural market forces still matter a lot meaning even if EVs take off and there are no growing pains with the grid and electric rates remain low, reduced global oil demand will lower fossil fuel prices (saw that with COVID already where oil even traded negative for the first time in history and world governments had to agree to artificially reduce oil output to save the market, and artificial output reduction that is still in place). So gas prices aren't likely to average out over a long period at any insane levels.

Mild hybrid is easier to justify, but pure EV I think we're still at that point where the new technology is inferior to the old tech, except in areas where the government is artificially manipulating the market with heavy subsidies for EV and heavy taxation and regulations against ICE. The Tucson's 227hp hybrid would be a nice option, but the 2.5T should do great on the highway and is still going to be more fuel economic than the top three selling vehicles in the US which are still halfton pickup trucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
IMO nothing is less future proof than buying a non-Tesla EV in 21.

Tesla is just what people think of when they think electric vehicles. No one thinks of real plug in hybrids. Chevy put the Volt on the market in 2011. I have a 2013. To this day people are surprised that Chevy made some thing that plugs in. People who don't pay attention to cars have only ever heard of Tesla.

This weekend I ran into a guy driving a 2014 Cadillac ELR. The natural market forces on that plug in hybrid are interesting. It lost about 60% of it's value but is now increasing in value and is worth over 50% of the sticker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Tesla hater. But just like people talk about the "Toyota Tax" There is definitely a "Tesla Tax" based completely on name brand familiarity. People know the name like Keenex, Crow Bar and Crescent wrench.

·
Registered
"I want my SAV!"
141 Posts
When I hear Tesla, I think shoddy workmanship, possible death trap and crazy (yet very intelligent) owner. IMHO that "Auto Pilot" feature should be banned, period! ☠

Reactions: NY Yankee Pride
21 - 25 of 25 Posts