Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
This makes sense as traditional truck buyers don't want anything to do with these weak unibody truck-lets, like the Ridgeline. Honda has flipped the script and made the RL more truck-like in the latest version, I think this was a mistake, they should embrace its non-truck-ness. But that is hard to do when the F150 outsells everything else on the market by double.

The CUV market is very strong too so this not-quite a truck but more like a CUV is (in theory) a nearly perfect vehicle segment. I believe the RL misses the mark by not being small or cheap enough to capture CUV buyers, yet its not truck-y enough to win over truck buyers... it is in no man's land.
The Ridgeline is not meant to be a big seller for Honda. The Odyssey, Pilot, and CRV fill that bill. It is the most comfortable riding truck with the most cargo space of a truck you can fit in a normal garage. I hope the SC is not too small. I take back all I said about the Colorado. It was mentioned on the top 10 new vehicles list not to buy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
... I believe the RL misses the mark by not being small or cheap enough to capture CUV buyers, yet its not truck-y enough to win over truck buyers... it is in no man's land.
It seems to be the terrestrial equivalent of that mis-begotten abomination of the seas: the motor-sailer (which just barely has either of the capabilities that its name implies.)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
It seems to be the terrestrial equivalent of that mis-begotten abomination of the seas: the motor-sailer (which just barely has either of the capabilities that its name implies.)
Yet, it is the vehicle most practical for the majority of truck buyers regardless.

·
Registered
509 Posts
So far. ;)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's what I use a truck for..Back and forth to work on pavement, Maybe a little snow play...Hauling Honey-do project stuff...a little lumber, bag of mulch and rocks, Maybe put the kennel in back for Lizzie so she can picnic with us... I just don't see a need of a full-size truck in my life. And with these Trucks (Cruz-Maverick) I'll be getting decent mpg... Heck the Fiat 500 Pop with auto only got 28mpg in town.. You'd have to have a big pair to drive that on the interstate at 80mph...Between the motor whining and getting bounced around by the Semi's passing you, it wasn't much fun and down right scary at moments..lol

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
Probably one reason the Santa Cruz was not based on the Sante Fe platform is because Kia is coming out with a truck based on the Telluride platform, so it will be more the size of a Ridgeline.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Probably one reason the Santa Cruz was not based on the Sante Fe platform is because Kia is coming out with a truck based on the Telluride platform, so it will be more the size of a Ridgeline.

The SC rear suspension and drive train are all based on the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
615 Posts

That's a lot of extra R&D though, whereas Kia making a restyled version of the Santa Cruz would be cheap since they share everything even parts bin when needed. As far as I know, Kia has their own version of almost everything that Hyundai makes, including the new 2022 Tucson in the just announced 2023 Sportage, but its usually a year behind.

So makes me wonder if we'll hear about a Kia Cruz in 2023. :oops:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Y'know what? That's super cool. Telluride-based would make it a really direct Ridgeline competitor - and also still larger than I want in a truck, so I won't feel bad about buying the SC in the meantime. Honestly, the Telluride styling would lend itself very well to a truck. Can't wait to see it, won't be on my shopping list either way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I still think Hyundai has over priced the SC. I can get a AWD v-6 Ridgeline base, for the same price SC equiped liked the Ridgeline. It's a no Brainer. Yes the Honda is the Base version, but it has all the things I want. Hyundai has a tuff sell, here.......But i really love the front end on the SC!!!! It is way cool at night on the road. I have seen two now at night! KUDOS! Hyundai. Bring that price down!!!!!!!!! Okay?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I still think Hyundai has over priced the SC. I can get a AWD v-6 Ridgeline base, for the same price SC equiped liked the Ridgeline. It's a no Brainer. Yes the Honda is the Base version, but it has all the things I want. Hyundai has a tuff sell, here.......But i really love the front end on the SC!!!! It is way cool at night on the road. I have seen two now at night! KUDOS! Hyundai. Bring that price down!!!!!!!!! Okay?
What are you comparing when you say "same"? Are you comparing a Ridgeline RTL to a SC Limited?

IMO the SC isn't so much priced wrong, its just that they aren't giving enough trims/options. For example, go build a Chevy Silverado or a Dodge Ram, the options are virtually unlimited, so everyone can kind of build the exact truck that they want and not spend money on things that don't interest them. A Silverado Custom in red with the black rally package actually looks really sick IMO, and you can reduce the cost by getting it in just RWD and you can go single cab, quad cab, crew cab, with various combinations of long bed, normal bed, or short bed. The interior is super basic, and it has no rear window port, no sunroof, no parking sensors, no 360 camera, no ventilated seats, super cheap infotainment, but from the outside it looks cool and its roomy and for $37K MSRP with usually pretty decent discounts it can come out w/ a lot of bang for the buck.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car

So for example, if I could do similar on a Santa Cruz I'd probably do it Canada style, I'd get my black chrome package, the turbo engine, AWD, no port, no sunroof, no parking sensors, the basic 8" infotainment, maybe an in-between pleather/cloth combo, and the upgraded digital instrument cluster, and at Canadian pricing that is several grand less than ours using current exchange rate it'd be a bargain.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Except to get the digital cluster here, you have to go Trend (mid-tier of the three options) which includes the sunroof. The only way to get no sunroof is to give up the digital dash for the analogue gauges. LOL There is no winning. That's why we said screw it and went for the Ultimate (aka Limited) trim. It's only $6k over the base model for all the bells, whistles, and ventilated seats.

We also don't get any base $25k option ... it just starts at a bit over $38k here, like it or leave it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
That's a lot of extra R&D though, whereas Kia making a restyled version of the Santa Cruz would be cheap since they share everything even parts bin when needed. As far as I know, Kia has their own version of almost everything that Hyundai makes, including the new 2022 Tucson in the just announced 2023 Sportage, but its usually a year behind.

So makes me wonder if we'll hear about a Kia Cruz in 2023. :oops:
I don't think they want to scavenge sales from the SC, so my guess would be not. The Kia version will definitely be larger.

·
Administrator
77 Posts

I wouldn't put too much faith in anything from that website. :)

That article was dated May 31, 2021, but it's based on an article from November 20, 2020 on PickupTruckNews.com (another rubbish website) which in turn cites a Motor1.com article from July 2019 which was based on an article by Carsguide.com.au about a ute (truck) for the Australian market.

Carsguide.com.au published an update on May 21, 2021 stating: "Kia's (and thus Hyundai's) new ute won't appear in 2022 as originally thought, with the brand in Australia telling CarsGuide the new model is now more likely to turn up in the "next couple of years" - if at all...."

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think they want to scavenge sales from the SC, so my guess would be not. The Kia version will definitely be larger.
Isn't that kind of their business model though?

Same Chassis:
Hyundai Venue = Kia Soul
Hyundai Kona = Kia Seltos
Hyundai Tucson = Kia Sportage
Hyundai Santa Fe = Kia Sorento
Hyundai Palisade = Kia Telluride
Hyundai Sonata = Kia K5
Hyundai Accent = Kia Rio
Hyundai Ioniq = Kia Niro

I think only the Kia Carnival, Kia Stinger, and Hyundai Veloster are the only ones that don't have a counterpart for the other brand, right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Two of the cars maybe all three are unique segments. They may see this(for now) as a test segment. If the idea catches on and SC sells like a small CUV then I would guess we might see a Kia version.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
At least the Ridgeline has reverse tilting mirrors which prove to be quite beneficial when parking along the curb. The Santa Cruz has cameras but the tilting mirrors were an oversight.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts