Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirming what us on the forum already thought, Hyundai is seriously considering a production pickup.

The confirmation comes after a "good response" to the Santa Cruz according to R&D director Park Byung-cheol. Byung-cheol warns that there are still "hurdles" that must be overcome before a pickup truck can make it to market. Details were not discussed though.

So now we wait for more details to emerge.

Hyundai considers production pickup | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's great news! I know it's still gonna be awhile before we can go check one out at the nearest dealer but at lease news and signs of progress are happening. Hopefully this time next year we'll all have the chance to pre-order one of these bad boys. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are thinking that the Santa Cruz could be delivered in the summer of next year?

·
Registered
728 Posts
So you are thinking that the Santa Cruz could be delivered in the summer of next year?
For now that would be a good bet as even that is a while away from now, how this year plays out for the SC will greatly determine if we see it come next summer.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If deliveries were to happen next summer then we would be seeing a production version in the near future. I'm not sure that is going to happen. I think that it may end up being closer to the holiday season of next year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah. I say by the end of the year we'll have an idea of where Hyundai is going with the Santa Cruz. If they are going to make something similar to the concept or a completely different style truck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The big consideration for them is if they want to try competing with the big dogs or if they want to try to bring something new to the market. I think the latter would be a better strategy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The latter, being different is a gamble but worth it as they seem to be willing to risk, which is good.

What I do want to see is them eventually scaling up their efforts to higher truck segments...that's where we'll see them step into the ring with the big dogs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The problem with trying to "compete with the big dogs" is its going to be a very long process. They will have to slowly build their reputation in the truck market by starting with the SC and growing in size. The Ridgeline has been around for a while and still hasn't gained much acceptance with "real truck buyers". The next iteration will look more truck-like, so that is just their next step in gaining more market acceptance. Hyundai also has very limited experience building non-industrial body-on-frame trucks. We saw what happened with the Kia Borrego when they tried to take on the truck-based SUV competition. That lasted only a year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If they can build a great small truck (or truck-like vehicle) then it will give them a stepping stone to building a larger size truck. It does have to be a long term strategy. This is far from happening over night.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely going to take a while, or maybe we'll be proved wrong? Hyundai has been making a lot of great and brave moves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts