Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally think Hyundai should have paired the smart driving items as unlockable packages you can purchase unlocks to either with the dealer or after the fact. This could considerably reduced the cost of the base vehicle, as well as allow those with lower trims to grab things like BVM (blindspot visual monitoring) without blowing 40k. I could give a crap on things like adaptive cruise, lane keeping, etc, but blindspot indicators and cameras are highly desirable features to me (and for some reason I thought these were both standard).

Some other automakers are starting to use this method to both simplify manufacturing, as well as retain resale value, since features are not just unattainable for future buyers. This just my two cents, but I think Hyundai overestimated how much younger people like me care about these extra 'safety' features. I have been really really excited about this vehicle, but if I could strip out a bunch of these features that would go unused and cut the Limited or SEL Premium down by 2-4k, I would be almost certainly off of the fence.

I am pretty sad so many very specific selling points for the SC (especially BVM) are on the Limited, while some others less practical ones are standard.

What do you all think? How do you feel about software unlocked features and just standardizing the necessary tech across most or all trims to allow the option to opt in?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
Problem is, not every feature is a software thing. A lot of those safety systems require significant changes in physical hardware as well. Having the software in place doesn't help if the sensors they require don't exist. IE reverse blind spot monitoring requires (usually) rear radar sensors. Software updates won't make those appear, and if they build that hardware into every vehicle, it greatly increases the hard costs of manufacturing.

I'd rather know what I'm buying when I buy it and NOT have the manufacturer able to enable/disable my vehicle's functions after purchase. If they can give it ... they can take it away.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what you are saying. My thought though, is if you make the entire lineup with all those sensors, you both only really add the cost of those sensors (minus the savings by reducing tool changes on the factory) across the models. With how cheap many of these sensors are getting, it would likely be 1-1.5k tops to add them, as for lane keeping and similar standard features already require cameras and maybe radar anyway, so they are mostly there already.

I figured the strongest argument is them not having the ability to take it away after the fact, although, they honestly can do that now regardless of the hardware. That's also why I was thinking software unlocks done at dealers physically on the car would be best, versus Tesla's OTA solution.

I guess maybe it's just me, but I like the idea that if I decide I should have spent more on the car, I can add it without buying a new car, but I can start without a lot of the noise I don't really need.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
I agree that the visual blinker lane change camera feature should be offered on ALL trim levels, because of its' safety advantage. Even the SE and SEL with analog dash could display in the 4" screen between the gauges (I think I read it has a small screen there). Auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto-up/down front windows and XM Sat Radio "activation" option should be standard from the base trim on up. It's 2022 for Christ sakes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
... the manufacturer able to enable/disable my vehicle's functions after purchase. If they can give it ... they can take it away.
OR, they could 'rent' the function to you, for some nominal fee -- let's say 99 cents per year to start.... You can see where this could go bad pretty quickly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OR, they could 'rent' the function to you, for some nominal fee -- let's say 99 cents per year to start.... You can see where this could go bad pretty quickly.
Again, the tech is there to do this now, so I don't know if it really changes much to restructure it. Thats why I suggested its actually just a setting that Hyundai gives you the unlock code for your vehicle or something and its all locked locally to the car. Sure a good hacker could break this, but generally Hyundai gets their money, and would not be able to turn off the feature on you.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah, it's not just the "subscribe now" model that's an issue. What happens some years down the road when it's costing companies money to keep their "connected services" alive?? Do you see this stuff being available 20 or 30 years from now? It's not unusual for vehicles to go that long - and if they rely on 3rd party servers or services to actually FUNCTION it's a recipe for worse than planned obsolescence. It's a plan for FORCED obsolescence! Imagine 10 years from now, your warranty runs out, your SC is still great, and BLAMMO! Hyundai decides to stop providing some function/feature that connects to a server to work and your vehicle is now a functional brick. Yes, I DO love to run worst case scenarios in my head when it comes to technology. Technology changes way too fast, requires new hardware to keep up way too fast, and is way too hard to retrofit into vehicles where all of your systems are integrated.

That's one of the main reasons I'm a fan of Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - keep the tech in the device we already keep updated and can follow us as we upgrade it through the years. I don't really want car makers to become software companies.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Please NO... don't give them any ideas!

What happens some years down the road when it's costing companies money to keep their "connected services" alive?? Do you see this stuff being available 20 or 30 years from now? It's not unusual for vehicles to go that long - and if they rely on 3rd party servers or services to actually FUNCTION it's a recipe for worse than planned obsolescence. It's a plan for FORCED obsolescence! Imagine 10 years from now, your warranty runs out, your SC is still great, and BLAMMO! Hyundai decides to stop providing some function/feature that connects to a server to work and your vehicle is now a functional brick.
This X100

I don't want the functionality of my vehicle to be dependent on some server saying my subscription is still good.

·
Registered
720 Posts
... I don't really want car makers to become software companies.
Amen to that, brother! I don't know about Hyundai, but Honda's software is so bad in our '15 MDX that it almost makes me weep. I've heard that the Ridgeline's is no better.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd rather know what I'm buying when I buy it and NOT have the manufacturer able to enable/disable my vehicle's functions after purchase. If they can give it ... they can take it away.
Hyundai actually did that with their Blue Link telematics system (not sure if you get that in Canada - it's their version of OnStar). When they first introduced it pretty much everything came with it standard. Then a few years later they decided that if you didn't subscribe to the system after a certain period they would permanently disable it and the only way to re-enable it would be to replace the hardware for over $500. Not sure if it's been resolved, but there was a class action lawsuit against them for it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
See? That's my point exactly. Thank you for the real world example of why vehicle features as a network-connected software feature is horrible for owners. Let's not even think about what skilled hackers can do if they get into it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is why I suggested hardware unlock codes local to the car, like you put in a code for your particular car into that OBDII scanner and it unlocks the feature, but its some secret Hash of your VIN or something, so you would have to pay for it, but could not be reversed over a network.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
507 Posts
Hyundai actually did that with their Blue Link telematics system (not sure if you get that in Canada - it's their version of OnStar). When they first introduced it pretty much everything came with it standard. Then a few years later they decided that if you didn't subscribe to the system after a certain period they would permanently disable it and the only way to re-enable it would be to replace the hardware for over $500. Not sure if it's been resolved, but there was a class action lawsuit against them for it.
Mazda in 2013 had the navigation system available as a "software" feature. If you did not pay the price, then you would not have navigation. I actually returned a Mazda CX-5 to a dealer which offered a 5 day/250mile return policy on a new vehicle , and they were so upset that they offered to cover the cost of activating the navigation system to keep me from turning in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Mazda in 2013 had the navigation system available as a "software" feature. If you did not pay the price, then you would not have navigation.
I rented a Mazda once and when you scrolled over to the NAV menu you are greeted by this friendly reminder...

Computer Font Gadget Technology Personal luxury car

I found the compass to be insulting, as if to say: I see where your heading, please insert coin to continue o_O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts