Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of buying the new Hyundai Santa Cruz Ultimate. The vehicle is close to $50000.00 here in Canada. Firstly I think it’s way over priced but my main concern is all the information I have been reading on the net of how bad Hyundai engines are and how they are failing with major class lawsuits involved. Then there are reports of water getting into brake lines etc and transmission problems. Then now reports of water getting into the headlight units. What are the **** is going on with Hyundai. I thought this brand was supposed to be a superior auto manufacturer. I’m really rethinking my decision to buy this product. Anyone got any thoughts on this ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Or a Ford.....or a Dodge

I have owned 3 Hyundais in succession and never had an issue with any of them but like anything its how you treat and maintain the product....I'm pretty sure every auto maker has their issues and all it takes is a few to post how terrible a product is to get all the sheep following.

First of all if you think its way overpriced then why are you considering it and posting a blather of negative comments. Have you even driven one and logically compared it to the alternatives.
Maybe you should rethink your way right out of here.......

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
76 Posts
I think Mike is right on. Buy a Chevy/Ford/Ram or anything else for that matter. These aren't the easiest to get a hold of and if you talk yourself out of it based on others opinions that will cause a hesitation and maybe someone here who is waiting and actively searching can get one. Price only matters if the price YOU pay is worth it to YOU.
Price to high?--- Don't buy it
You can always find someone on the internet to agree with about any Bats***t idea.
Hyundai engines bad? Out of how many engines? built when? built where? Any mass produced product is going to have some sort of failure rate. In the auto industry every part is recorded with a batch and lot number for EVERY single piece on the car/truck and can be traced back incase a recall needs to be done.
Class Action lawsuits are really good for attorneys on both sides. The actually (victims) don't really get much out of it.
Water in the Brake lines? This is complete BS it is impossible. Someone is feeding you a line of crap on that one.
Water in the headlights? LOL really. the thought of water possibly getting into your headlights is going to stop you from buying something?
Hyundai isn't superior or inferior to any other mass produced product. These aren't one off customs. "Gas Monkey or Count Customs, ICON, Speed is the new Black. ETC.
Sounds to me like maybe you have already made your mind up against it.
Even if the "all the information on the net is true" - My theory is I will burn that bridge when I get to it. It's worth it to me to have the happiness now and not sweat what might happen.
I hope that whatever you choose to purchase serves you well and provides a lifetime of enjoyment.

In case you haven't realized it by now. I love mine. I would've eaten my dead grandmother's toenails to get one.
I have one. I bought it on Friday the !3. It was made on 7/12 and it is (wicked awesome!) Don't believe me.
Drive one

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a 2008 Sonata that I put on 200,000 miles in less than 4 years without a single problem. I also think that it was one of the most comfortable cars I’ve driven.
Got my SC Limited August 9th, replaced a full sized truck. I’m very happy with my decision.
If the SC isn’t what you want, you don’t have to come here to try to convince yourself.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
I have been thinking of buying the new Hyundai Santa Cruz Ultimate. The vehicle is close to $50000.00 here in Canada. Firstly I think it’s way over priced but my main concern is all the information I have been reading on the net of how bad Hyundai engines are and how they are failing with major class lawsuits involved. Then there are reports of water getting into brake lines etc and transmission problems. Then now reports of water getting into the headlight units. What are the **** is going on with Hyundai. I thought this brand was supposed to be a superior auto manufacturer. I’m really rethinking my decision to buy this product. Anyone got any thoughts on this ???
I'll bite and ease your reliability uncertainty a bit, maybe...

Most of the past major component problems (engine & transmission) I read about with Hyundai were Gasoline Direct Injection engines (possibly not maintained well or lack of proper lubrication, who knows?) and undesirable operation of the "dry" dual clutch transmission at low speeds or crawling speeds off-road under stress (over heats). Hyundai has addressed both of these issues in the new 2022 Santa Cruz.

First off, both engine offerings on the new 2022 Santa Cruz have Multi Port Injection (MPI) in addition to Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which was added to hopefully resolve issues possibly related to GDI only.

Second, the base model SE & SEL have a standard proven slush-box automatic. The SEL Premium & Limited with the Turbo engine have a "wet" DTC automatic transmission, which provides better cooling of the clutches than the old "dry" DTC's.

Other minor fit, finish, build, etc... issues are rather random and few and far between, as with all manufacturers IMHO. I come from a high end Toyota, BMW, Porsche and Mini background of cars owned in the recent past. At 62 I'm not in need of those high priced very nice cars that usually require a second truck-ish vehicle when you own them. The new Santa Cruz provides that beautiful interior and styling, along with improvements that "I" feel negate anything that may have concerned me in some of their past vehicles. Plus you get that wonderful 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the major components and 5 year on electrical. That's the best in the industry as far as I know. Also by going with the Santa Cruz for my retirement vehicle with a planned long-term (10 year plus) ownership, I can size down to just one vehicle that: fits into my garage, is easy to get in and out of, easy to park, can make fast food drive through turns, haul minor loads and is very economical IMHO.

So there's an owners sales pitch to you. Take it or leave it, that's up to you. The Santa Cruz checked all my boxes and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
...I have been reading on the net of how bad Hyundai engines are and how they are failing with major class lawsuits involved.
No insight on the details, but I know there are lawsuits. Likewise, don't know the % of engine failures. Leaving all the web panic, and "I read", stuff there was something that I was eyewitness to that triggered some concern. As a hobby, I restore vintage motorcycles. I recently went to an old-school engine shop to get a cylinder bore job done. While there, the owner showed me why his shop was so busy. You could hardly move about the machine shop due to the backlog of Hyundai engines awaiting repair.

He somehow got involved with supporting, on a major scale, the repair issues that Hyundai was experiencing due to the lawsuit. I didn't ask him what was specifically wrong, but all indications were that he was doing a lot of work on the heads and top end, more than the bottom end. As I consider the Santa Cruz as my first Hyundai purchase, I have not been able to erase the image of that machine shop full of engines!

With that said, while at the Hyundai dealer, looking at the only Santa Cruz I have yet found on a lot, I encountered a man, and his family, just returning from a test drive in it. He related that they have now had nine Hyundai in a row, with no problems with any of them, except one, which oddly was their latest one. Minor brake issue. Was not stopping them from purchasing the SC as number ten though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no water getting in the DRL's lol

They have a clear cover in front of them that has a gap where water can get in but it's not actually going into the headlight or messing anything up. It can be easily be blown away or evaporate off.

As for the engines, there is a recall but it hasn't affected any of the SC components

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
First, I'll point out that the comments about the base SE/SEL models are US-only. So you can comfortably read past those. They missed that you are in Canada.

As a new (last Friday) Ultimate owner myself, here are my thoughts on your post.
Price: Yep. It ain't cheap. You can shave off about 6k by going with the base Preferred trim if you don't want the extras. Originally, I ordered the Trend. I'm very happy that my wife said to go Ultimate instead. The extras that are missing from the Trend (SEL Premium-ish in the US??) are some of my absolutely FAVOURITE features. No, not the cooled seats - the adaptive cruise and 360 cameras. Seriously, worth. every. penny. Sorry, nickel. We ain't got no pennies no more. Honest to Timmies double-doubles (which, let's be real, holds more value than "god" up here.) it is NOT overpriced for what you are getting. Is it expensive? Ummm ... yes-ish? About 50% over my previously most expensive vehicle. So yeah. If budget is big for you, I'd suggest taking an honest look at a Maverick, if you're cool with the look of it. Similar size (slightly larger), similar power (slightly less) from the 2.0T version. But you can certainly spec it cheaper if you're willing to forgo the everyday driving luxuries that the Ultimate offers. Ford has no direct competitor in any Maverick trim, even the more pricey First Edition. The price of every new vehicle has shot up in the last 10 years. It's the new reality.

As far as what you read on the net about Hyundai, temper those screaming from the rooftops about how awful it is with how many NORMAL owners (not forum-goers or fanboys/girls) a: care two hoots about the vehicle itself to ever go to such places and b: the fact that when someone DOES have a problem the first place they run is online forums to complain/ask for help/see if they're alone - and then post the same problem on the same vehicle across no less than 17 different forums/Facebook groups/review sites/etc. What you see online is ALWAYS skewed in both directions - the extremes. As far as reliability goes, we had a good discussion at our dealership about their service team vs. my local GM service department. Our GM dealer has 7 full time mechanics working 6 days a week with a minimum two week wait to get a basic oil change. They're THAT backed up. At my Hyundai dealer, they had a mechanic leave because he got bored at never doing more than oil/lube/filter service jobs because they didn't see enough broken vehicles. And their service bay is only open 5 days a week. They will book Saturday appointments for service with their out of town customers (like me). Which one do you think is more reliable? Yes, you will read about problem engines. They DID (Kia as well, same engines) have an issue with I think it was the 1.6L engine in the Soul and Kona. May have been some others. I have a friend who's had a couple of Souls now who was impacted with it and frustrated by the dealer/Kia since it was before the recall on them. That's where you're probably hearing about lawsuits - because the early victims of the issues really got screwed around/over until it was acknowledged. The 2.5T in the Santa Cruz is used in many other Hyundai products, and from what I've seen has been quite problem-free. I have zero worries about mine.

Never heard of issues with water in the brake lines, can't comment on that. But there are only a very few ways that could happen.

Transmission problems? We've had ONE report on the forum of it blowing up after 330 miles - and it was replaced and (if I recall correctly) sent back to Hyundai to study the cause of the failure.

Water in the headlights. Just plain false. What was observed/shown is water AROUND the sealed DRL units in the grille, because they are separate pieces. You can either blow it out with compressed air or simply wait for the water to dry. There is no water getting into the light itself.

I have FAR fewer worries about the longevity of my Ultimate than I do with the Equinox we bought last year, last week of August. By this February (5 months old) it was off the road for a full MONTH because of a poorly designed PCV system that freezes up in the winter, an intercooler that's prone to icing problems in the cold, and blew out both the front AND rear crank seals. I've seen another Equinox sitting at our dealer for over a month on dollies because it is ALSO missing its engine/transmission. Not sure if it's the same or similar issue, but let me tell ya, it reinforces our original plan last year to ditch it for something else by year five. I'm planning on making the Santa Cruz a 10 year or until something more irresistible comes along vehicle. That's why I added the 200,000km extended bumper-to-bumper warranty too. Don't care that it added 4 grand to the price. I call that pretty cheap insurance, given all the tech in these things and how pricey it will be to replace out of warranty.

Ultimate-ly (see what I did there?) it's your decision. Do what you're comfortable with. I absolutely had my doubts about buying it once they finally released the Canadian pricing. Absolutely considered the Maverick. Bookmarked a couple of different builds. Made comparison spreadsheets. I looked at the Canyon AT4, the Ranger XLT, the Ram 1500 Classic, and test drove them all this summer. I looked online at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier, even the Veloster N. I realize that's not a truck, but man, I'll bed that would be some kind of fun on the daily commute!! LOL

I have more faith in Hyundai's engineers than darn near any other brand on the road today. Look at the industry awards and the customer satisfaction reports. Hyundai today is where Toyota was a decade or more ago. But the internet has a long memory and some of the "problems" you'll find are generations old. Hyundai/Kia have been KILLING IT the last few years. Probably in part because of the former BMW executives they've brought on board to specifically change their market position.

Sorry if I'm a little long-winded. Do yourself a favour. Find a dealer with a demo model - MOST dealers in Canada have specific demos that they are not allowed to sell so that people can see them/drive them/order them - and get in it. Take it for a drive. Then you'll know for sure if it's the right size/comfort for you. For me, this little truck NAILED IT on a good 95% of everything I wanted and my list of dislikes are petty little things like the manual rear window that you can't reach from the front seat, the start button dance you have to do to get the wipers to sit up so you can lift them off the glass, the lack of power front passenger seat, and the gloss black trim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm here in the Great White North as well.. Edmonton, and I have the same ultimate sage grey SC that WBB has, and will second all of his notes. Im currently in my garage loving all the extra room I now have (i sold my 2017 Silverado LTZ to get the SC) and really see it as a big step up in tech and smarts. I've had new GM trucks every three years for the past 12 years but since I sold the fifth wheel and don't need a beast anymore, this SC does everything I need here on the acreage, and is a hoot to drive as well! Try it out.. you really owe out to yourself to give it a shot. My pet peeves are no wireless android auto on the ultimate (I have to use a cord... truly a first world problem) and the little window on the back just seems senseless. But I'm grinning every time I'm driving. Tows 5000 lbs so I'm ready for the lake in the summer 😎 and I can pull a utility trailer when I get cornered to help somebody move. (I prefer to drive and let the younger backs do the lifting).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have owned six Hyundai vehicles and none of them had any issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who replied to my post. Except for Boilermanwho was extremely rude and condescending. I was just trying to clarify some information that I read. I’m not an expert but I dont need rude people downgrading me when all I’m trying to do is get a better understanding. Thanks to all the rest. I did learn a few things.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
Thanks to all who replied to my post. Except for Boilermanwho was extremely rude and condescending.
I think you misread his post. I didn't see that at all. But I've been on the forums a little longer, so I have a bit of a feel for some of the personalities. It's one of the problems with reading things online. Tone and intent can get lost. Read it again, change the tone you read it in. His points are perfectly valid, even if you read it in a condescending way. I don't believe for a minute that was his intent. If you don't feel the package is worth the money, absolutely consider the other options. Maverick will be the closest in size and you CAN get it at a significantly lower price. But it won't been equipped the same or drive the same. The Canyon can cost less as well, but I tried out the top tier AT4 model and frankly, it felt like a 90s throwback by comparison. I found the size of the Ranger to be awkward. Tall enough you kinda need steps, but the steps themselves put you in a spot that's almost more awkward getting in and out of. I tried the big Ram 1500 too ... BIG being operative. And I could have driven one home for a few grand less than my itty bitty (by comparison) Santa Cruz.

Absolutely weigh your options. Look at your budget and what you're comfortable with. The SC may not be the best option for you across all categories - and budget is most definitely a huge factor. If I needed to shave 6 grand off the price to make it work would I have ordered a base model instead? You bet! Would I have loved it just as much - no. Would I have still loved it? Absolutely!! The package as a whole is ideal for me. It fits my wants/needs better than anything else on the market. But I guarantee I wouldn't love the base model AS MUCH because a couple of my favourite features are only available on the Ultimate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First, I'll point out that the comments about the base SE/SEL models are US-only. So you can comfortably read past those. They missed that you are in Canada.

As a new (last Friday) Ultimate owner myself, here are my thoughts on your post.
Price: Yep. It ain't cheap. You can shave off about 6k by going with the base Preferred trim if you don't want the extras. Originally, I ordered the Trend. I'm very happy that my wife said to go Ultimate instead. The extras that are missing from the Trend (SEL Premium-ish in the US??) are some of my absolutely FAVOURITE features. No, not the cooled seats - the adaptive cruise and 360 cameras. Seriously, worth. every. penny. Sorry, nickel. We ain't got no pennies no more. Honest to Timmies double-doubles (which, let's be real, holds more value than "god" up here.) it is NOT overpriced for what you are getting. Is it expensive? Ummm ... yes-ish? About 50% over my previously most expensive vehicle. So yeah. If budget is big for you, I'd suggest taking an honest look at a Maverick, if you're cool with the look of it. Similar size (slightly larger), similar power (slightly less) from the 2.0T version. But you can certainly spec it cheaper if you're willing to forgo the everyday driving luxuries that the Ultimate offers. Ford has no direct competitor in any Maverick trim, even the more pricey First Edition. The price of every new vehicle has shot up in the last 10 years. It's the new reality.

As far as what you read on the net about Hyundai, temper those screaming from the rooftops about how awful it is with how many NORMAL owners (not forum-goers or fanboys/girls) a: care two hoots about the vehicle itself to ever go to such places and b: the fact that when someone DOES have a problem the first place they run is online forums to complain/ask for help/see if they're alone - and then post the same problem on the same vehicle across no less than 17 different forums/Facebook groups/review sites/etc. What you see online is ALWAYS skewed in both directions - the extremes. As far as reliability goes, we had a good discussion at our dealership about their service team vs. my local GM service department. Our GM dealer has 7 full time mechanics working 6 days a week with a minimum two week wait to get a basic oil change. They're THAT backed up. At my Hyundai dealer, they had a mechanic leave because he got bored at never doing more than oil/lube/filter service jobs because they didn't see enough broken vehicles. And their service bay is only open 5 days a week. They will book Saturday appointments for service with their out of town customers (like me). Which one do you think is more reliable? Yes, you will read about problem engines. They DID (Kia as well, same engines) have an issue with I think it was the 1.6L engine in the Soul and Kona. May have been some others. I have a friend who's had a couple of Souls now who was impacted with it and frustrated by the dealer/Kia since it was before the recall on them. That's where you're probably hearing about lawsuits - because the early victims of the issues really got screwed around/over until it was acknowledged. The 2.5T in the Santa Cruz is used in many other Hyundai products, and from what I've seen has been quite problem-free. I have zero worries about mine.

Never heard of issues with water in the brake lines, can't comment on that. But there are only a very few ways that could happen.

Transmission problems? We've had ONE report on the forum of it blowing up after 330 miles - and it was replaced and (if I recall correctly) sent back to Hyundai to study the cause of the failure.

Water in the headlights. Just plain false. What was observed/shown is water AROUND the sealed DRL units in the grille, because they are separate pieces. You can either blow it out with compressed air or simply wait for the water to dry. There is no water getting into the light itself.

I have FAR fewer worries about the longevity of my Ultimate than I do with the Equinox we bought last year, last week of August. By this February (5 months old) it was off the road for a full MONTH because of a poorly designed PCV system that freezes up in the winter, an intercooler that's prone to icing problems in the cold, and blew out both the front AND rear crank seals. I've seen another Equinox sitting at our dealer for over a month on dollies because it is ALSO missing its engine/transmission. Not sure if it's the same or similar issue, but let me tell ya, it reinforces our original plan last year to ditch it for something else by year five. I'm planning on making the Santa Cruz a 10 year or until something more irresistible comes along vehicle. That's why I added the 200,000km extended bumper-to-bumper warranty too. Don't care that it added 4 grand to the price. I call that pretty cheap insurance, given all the tech in these things and how pricey it will be to replace out of warranty.

Ultimate-ly (see what I did there?) it's your decision. Do what you're comfortable with. I absolutely had my doubts about buying it once they finally released the Canadian pricing. Absolutely considered the Maverick. Bookmarked a couple of different builds. Made comparison spreadsheets. I looked at the Canyon AT4, the Ranger XLT, the Ram 1500 Classic, and test drove them all this summer. I looked online at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier, even the Veloster N. I realize that's not a truck, but man, I'll bed that would be some kind of fun on the daily commute!! LOL

I have more faith in Hyundai's engineers than darn near any other brand on the road today. Look at the industry awards and the customer satisfaction reports. Hyundai today is where Toyota was a decade or more ago. But the internet has a long memory and some of the "problems" you'll find are generations old. Hyundai/Kia have been KILLING IT the last few years. Probably in part because of the former BMW executives they've brought on board to specifically change their market position.

Sorry if I'm a little long-winded. Do yourself a favour. Find a dealer with a demo model - MOST dealers in Canada have specific demos that they are not allowed to sell so that people can see them/drive them/order them - and get in it. Take it for a drive. Then you'll know for sure if it's the right size/comfort for you. For me, this little truck NAILED IT on a good 95% of everything I wanted and my list of dislikes are petty little things like the manual rear window that you can't reach from the front seat, the start button dance you have to do to get the wipers to sit up so you can lift them off the glass, the lack of power front passenger seat, and the gloss black trim.
Hey WBB I am glad you responded with reason rather than "If you don't like it leave". For my self I am a little concerned that the 2.5L engine has only been around since last year, 2020. I had hoped it had a little more experience. I guess we'll see how it holds up over time.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
76 Posts
Thanks to all who replied to my post. Except for Boilermanwho was extremely rude and condescending. I was just trying to clarify some information that I read. I’m not an expert but I dont need rude people downgrading me when all I’m trying to do is get a better understanding. Thanks to all the rest. I did learn a few things.
I apologize for coming off the way I did. It was not intentional.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
Water in the Brake lines? This is complete BS it is impossible. Someone is feeding you a line of crap on that one
Brake Fluid is hydrophilic, or more accurately hygroscopic. Its molecular O-H structure easily allows hydrogen bonding with hydromolecules, e.g., H2O. No idea what context the OP was referring to regarding water in the brake lines, but it is VERY possible if the Brake Fluid had already absorbed the water, prior to being introduced into the master cylinder, brake lines, and calipers. That is why the Brake Fluid packaging instructs the use of a sealed bottle only.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts