Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I read the torque spec for the OEM crossbars wrong
instead of inch pound, I torqued as foot pound, so basically over torqued by 12 times, or less because I couldn't get the click and the bolt just kept on spinning and rounded the HEX

As I have rounded the HEX bolt, the bolts are stuck there tight.

I tested the crossbars, there is no movement whatsoever in any direction. The clamps seat correctly.

Should I just call it good or overtightened bolts can be a problem down the road?
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
94 Posts
Oh bummer. It’s overtightened, so no worries about it coming loose. If you are pleased with the position of the bars where they are “forever,” then you’re done.
if you ever have to move or remove them, you should let an experienced mechanic do it to minimize the chance of damage (it’s easy for a tool to slip and gouge the paint). A master mechanic will have the tools and tricks to remove the rounded out bolts.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh bummer. It’s overtightened, so no worries about it coming loose. If you are pleased with the position of the bars where they are “forever,” then you’re done.
if you ever have to move or remove them, you should let an experienced mechanic do it to minimize the chance of damage (it’s easy for a tool to slip and gouge the paint). A master mechanic will have the tools and tricks to remove the rounded out bolts.
:Dluckily I measured the bars to mm precision before I over torqued them they are exactly 700mm across and centered. I guess I'll just have to live with them being on there permanently.

FYI, OEM crossbars have no locking mechanism like those Thule ones, but I rounded the bolts so nobody can easily steal them as a side effect

·
Registered
127 Posts
:Dluckily I measured the bars to mm precision before I over torqued them they are exactly 700mm across and centered. I guess I'll just have to live with them being on there permanently.

FYI, OEM crossbars have no locking mechanism like those Thule ones, but I rounded the bolts so nobody can easily steal them as a side effect
Its not broken, its a feature lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can always drill out the hex bolts of you want to remove the bars at some point - just do it slowly! You'll have to buy new bolts, but that isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
  1. While this misfortune is still fresh, park in the midday sun to get everything good and hot.
  2. Place protective padding around the work area, and optimally, have a trusted helper to assist.
  3. Use the largest vice-grip pliers that will fit into the space available, with sharp teeth on the jaws! Lock them onto the bolt head as tight as you can get them.
    Note: It is very important to have the grip point as far back down into the jaws as possible -- your chances of success rise exponentially!
  4. Helper should rapidly tap sharply on the top of the bolt, with as much force as practical, with a small hammer. Use a short steel rod, or another bolt, to get in between the vise-grip jaws to deliver the taps. Continue tapping rapidly throughout step #5.
  5. Whisper incantations, burn incense. Slowly increase the turning pressure until you, or the bolt, gives up.
  6. Purchase and install replacement bolts. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only issue you may have is it the bolt/nut gets fatigued from vibrations and being pulled on. If it was over-torqued the bolt/nut is working beyond its intended specifications. It'll probably be fine. Just check in on them from time to time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
How's that possible? Aren't you in CA?
LOL... yes sir... but man-oh-man, that exact parking space number and even the view (what I can see) is exactly like my work garage parking space. Must be a coincidence, but weird... kind of X-Files like weird.. :alien:

Hey, sorry my point was "love the wheels and the rack"... looking really sharp and well done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts