Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally found a dealer nearby (35 mins) who had a Santa Cruz in stock to test drive. I presently own a Honda Ridgeline 2011 RTL, my second Ridgeline since 2006.

My impressions:
  • Sticker price incl destination charge was $41,330 and included carpet floor mats, cargo net, first aid kit, cargo net, wheel locks
  • The Santa Cruz seems light and lively, great handling and road feel, road noise minimal
  • the steering wheel seemed very small when I first saw it, but no issue with it, does its job
  • Comfortable seats, nice layout in the ****pit, great forward and side visibility
  • Plenty of pedal response, good feel, car wants to go and be driven
  • Ride in my opinion is somewhere between a 2018 Turbo CRV and a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6, also cars I own and family members primarily drive and I drive them often
  • I had my Ridgeline parked next to it, honestly it didn't seem much smaller, the front looks pretty wide/broad nearly looked as wide as my truck, road clearance seemed the same, or the SC seemed an inch better, while it was not as tall and the overall length differed, surprisingly it really didn't look like that small from the outside compared to my truck, obvious differences were rear seat space and smaller bed length, these two areas are where the size differences are mostly noticed in my opinion
A few things that I noticed:
  • The entertainment/ac/heating screen/panel at the bottom sticks out further than the top of the screen (slightly slanted) and has a rounded corner at the lower part right at the outside of my right knee, this part sticks out wider than the lower console and was uncomfortable on my knee as its hard plastic, only real design flaw I could notice, in my opinion
  • I didn't touch much on the entertainment and heat/cool system, but sound system was very good and interior temperature very comfortable, looked great on the car
  • the digital dashboard was cool, when putting on left or right blinker one of the gauges turned on the side view camera which was very clear and helpful
  • I'm 5'11" 215 lbs I fit well in the drivers seat, I then sat in the back seat and had plenty of leg room, I also did this exercise on the front passenger seat, ample leg room
  • front passenger seat manually adjusted, only driver seat is electric
  • The back seat is roomy leg wise, but looks narrow as far as width, fitting three in the backseat would likely be very uncomfortable
  • the under seat storage in the rear was roomy, but If I bought the truck I might remove the plastic storage tub to allow room for travel bags, duffel bags etc
  • back didn't have a shared arm rest in the middle seat
  • the rear door glass narrows on the back part of the door, makes the body and flow look real cool, but really cuts off the rear passengers visibility in an awkward way
  • the rear back window is really narrow, visibility was very poor backing up, also I assume the high bed and tailgate don't help as well but the reverse camera was very clear, had a very wide view and was very helpful
  • the rear window is manual, not electric
  • the gas cap door doesn't lock
  • 20" inch low profile rims looked great, but in NY I'm not sure I'd keep em' with all the potholes
  • The tailgate was real smooth when it opened, great feature as it was dampened
  • the bumpers steps and the high bed sides made real easy to get good fitting and grabbing onto truck to get in the bed
  • with the tailgate down trying to open the trunk required leaning over a bit and some strength was needed to get the trunk lid moving before the struts provided any help
  • the trunk is very shallow because the spare tire is mounted right underneath it
  • the retractable bed cover was a little stiff and somewhat noisy when pulling the strap to close it, it rolls up in a small canister in its housing, so not unexpected
overall a well-thought out and great looking car/truck/SAV, for those that are already driving a compact automobile it will be an easy decision because its a great car and fills a lot of needs. Hyundai did a great job.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
Thank you for the review. I appreciate the comparison with the G1 Ridgeline even if the SC was probably at least $10K more than the Ridgeline when new. The new Ridgeline has an even more spacious bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
finally found a dealer nearby (35 mins) who had a Santa Cruz in stock to test drive. I presently own a Honda Ridgeline 2011 RTL, my second Ridgeline since 2006.

My impressions:
  • Sticker price incl destination charge was $41,330 and included carpet floor mats, cargo net, first aid kit, cargo net, wheel locks
  • The Santa Cruz seems light and lively, great handling and road feel, road noise minimal
  • the steering wheel seemed very small when I first saw it, but no issue with it, does its job
  • Comfortable seats, nice layout in the ****pit, great forward and side visibility
  • Plenty of pedal response, good feel, car wants to go and be driven
  • Ride in my opinion is somewhere between a 2018 Turbo CRV and a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6, also cars I own and family members primarily drive and I drive them often
  • I had my Ridgeline parked next to it, honestly it didn't seem much smaller, the front looks pretty wide/broad nearly looked as wide as my truck, road clearance seemed the same, or the SC seemed an inch better, while it was not as tall and the overall length differed, surprisingly it really didn't look like that small from the outside compared to my truck, obvious differences were rear seat space and smaller bed length, these two areas are where the size differences are mostly noticed in my opinion
A few things that I noticed:
  • The entertainment/ac/heating screen/panel at the bottom sticks out further than the top of the screen (slightly slanted) and has a rounded corner at the lower part right at the outside of my right knee, this part sticks out wider than the lower console and was uncomfortable on my knee as its hard plastic, only real design flaw I could notice, in my opinion
  • I didn't touch much on the entertainment and heat/cool system, but sound system was very good and interior temperature very comfortable, looked great on the car
  • the digital dashboard was cool, when putting on left or right blinker one of the gauges turned on the side view camera which was very clear and helpful
  • I'm 5'11" 215 lbs I fit well in the drivers seat, I then sat in the back seat and had plenty of leg room, I also did this exercise on the front passenger seat, ample leg room
  • front passenger seat manually adjusted, only driver seat is electric
  • The back seat is roomy leg wise, but looks narrow as far as width, fitting three in the backseat would likely be very uncomfortable
  • the under seat storage in the rear was roomy, but If I bought the truck I might remove the plastic storage tub to allow room for travel bags, duffel bags etc
  • back didn't have a shared arm rest in the middle seat
  • the rear door glass narrows on the back part of the door, makes the body and flow look real cool, but really cuts off the rear passengers visibility in an awkward way
  • the rear back window is really narrow, visibility was very poor backing up, also I assume the high bed and tailgate don't help as well but the reverse camera was very clear, had a very wide view and was very helpful
  • the rear window is manual, not electric
  • the gas cap door doesn't lock
  • 20" inch low profile rims looked great, but in NY I'm not sure I'd keep em' with all the potholes
  • The tailgate was real smooth when it opened, great feature as it was dampened
  • the bumpers steps and the high bed sides made real easy to get good fitting and grabbing onto truck to get in the bed
  • with the tailgate down trying to open the trunk required leaning over a bit and some strength was needed to get the trunk lid moving before the struts provided any help
  • the trunk is very shallow because the spare tire is mounted right underneath it
  • the retractable bed cover was a little stiff and somewhat noisy when pulling the strap to close it, it rolls up in a small canister in its housing, so not unexpected
overall a well-thought out and great looking car/truck/SAV, for those that are already driving a compact automobile it will be an easy decision because its a great car and fills a lot of needs. Hyundai did a great job.
Did you notice if the sunroof cover opened and closed manually. In a video I saw it looks like it does.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you notice if the sunroof cover opened and closed manually. In a video I saw it looks like it does.
I moved the sunroof cover back and forth with my hands....I think I did ???, but I didn't even open the sunroof...something n hindsight I should have tried

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the review. I appreciate the comparison with the G1 Ridgeline even if the SC was probably at least $10K more than the Ridgeline when new. The new Ridgeline has an even more spacious bed.
I bought the Ridgeline RTL in 2011 for 33k, new Ridgeline equipped like the SC I think is the RTL-E, I think about 45k-46k

·
Registered
227 Posts
I didn't buy it, 41,330 sticker out the door not incl taxes. not likely to buy it, for about 5k more I may get the Ridgeline, bigger interior, bigger trunk and bigger bed, nothing against the SC
What color, and is it anywhere near Missouri or Wisconsin (400 miles is near enough, lol)? If you don't mind answering. Been trying to check out a limited, and I haven't found any dealers going to sell at MSRP if I was interested.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What color, and is it anywhere near Missouri or Wisconsin (400 miles is near enough, lol)? If you don't mind answering. Been trying to check out a limited, and I haven't found any dealers going to sell at MSRP if I was interested.
on LI in NY, White Limited Turbo AWD

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's the vehicle I reserved, but cancelled the reservation, small world, lol. They were selling it for list? It's been there a few days. Man, that info center screen gets smudged. You're right, those 20's would have a tough time on our roads.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's the vehicle I reserved, but cancelled the reservation, small world, lol. They were selling it for list? It's been there a few days. Man, that info center screen gets smudged. You're right, those 20's would have a tough time on our roads.
that was your car, how cool.....yeah the patio black screen get smudgy and dusty real bad, I believe it was list, was on the car...any reason why you passed...

·
Registered
221 Posts
that was your car, how coll.....yeah the patio black screen get smudgy and dusty real bad, I believe it was list, was on the car...any reason why you passed...
After weighing the pros and cons there were just too many compromises from what I was looking for, plus the whole roll-out just turned me off. We got more info from this forum than Hyundai. Now the question is what to get? Want to get something that my wife and I will like, usually she has her car and I have my several, all stick, which she can't drive. Just sold a nice Infiniti for a good buck, so I got money burning a hole in my pocket, LOL. How did the dealership seem? I may look at a Genesis there.....my wife likes SUV's, I don't, but the GV70 looks promising. No rush, waiting to see what else comes out and for the chip dust to settle. Stay away from Atlantic Hyundai in West Islip.
I have a feeling we may see some interesting offerings in the next Santa Cruz.
Good luck with the Ridgeline, can't go wrong. Who's your Honda dealer?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts