Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23' AWD Atlas White SEL w / Activity Pack & Hitch
41 Posts
* UPDATE *
The salesman called me today. I am not crazy ! It was the TRANSMISSION ! He didn't give me any details though.
He is trying to find me another one...
If you choose to reply - I think Jerome's question, "So this was a a 2023 model" was meant for you. (Initially, I thought he was directing the question to me.)

·
Registered
2023 Santa Cruz Limited Sage-Grey w/Dark Grey Interior
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Since you haven't bought it yet - listen to MaineMan's advice - either walk - (and this is my opinion) OR settle for an AWD SEL SC with - or without the Activity Pack. The SE or SEL will have the 8 speed torque convertor transmission. I bought a 2022 Santa Fe Limited. 2.5T, with the DCT in 11/1/2021. Probably the best, most high tech car we have ever owned. On 08/02/22 with only 5661 miles the DCT quit with my wife while pulling out onto a highway Car was towed by Hyundai. While we were waiting for a transmission (that never arrived) and driving an Enterprise rental on Hyundai's dime - Hyundai agreed to buy-it back due to extended delay in getting transmission from Korea. We had decided we wanted another Santa Fe - just not another one with the DCT. We stepped down to the SEL model with Convenience Package (as I recall). It is kind of like the Activity Pack for the SC. I am not going to lie to you, I still miss the turbo on the 2.5L engine and the leather seats! I like the torque convertor transmission on the SEL as good if not better than the DCT (before it died). So you have a decision to make. Even if you do decide to get a Limited, there are thousands on the road today with no reported problems. And, Hyundai is working at resolving this problem in all the models that offer this transmission. While at the dealership, I made the mistake of taking a test ride in a Santa Cruz. I knew I had to have one of these!
Thanks. Not getting that one. Waiting for the salesman to find me another one. I still want it!
Since you haven't bought it yet - listen to MaineMan's advice - either walk - (and this is my opinion) OR settle for an AWD SEL SC with - or without the Activity Pack. The SE or SEL will have the 8 speed torque convertor transmission. I bought a 2022 Santa Fe Limited. 2.5T, with the DCT in 11/1/2021. Probably the best, most high tech car we have ever owned. On 08/02/22 with only 5661 miles the DCT quit with my wife while pulling out onto a highway Car was towed by Hyundai. While we were waiting for a transmission (that never arrived) and driving an Enterprise rental on Hyundai's dime - Hyundai agreed to buy-it back due to extended delay in getting transmission from Korea. We had decided we wanted another Santa Fe - just not another one with the DCT. We stepped down to the SEL model with Convenience Package (as I recall). It is kind of like the Activity Pack for the SC. I am not going to lie to you, I still miss the turbo on the 2.5L engine and the leather seats! I like the torque convertor transmission on the SEL as good if not better than the DCT (before it died). So you have a decision to make. Even if you do decide to get a Limited, there are thousands on the road today with no reported problems. And, Hyundai is working at resolving this problem in all the models that offer this transmission. While at the dealership, I made the mistake of taking a test ride in a Santa Cruz. I knew I had to have one of these!
Thanks. I'm getting that one. Waiting for the salesman to find me another one. I dtill want it !

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the non turbo. It's gutless. Unless you are used to some other sub-200 hp, 4 thousand lb dog that gets mid 20 mpg (and there just aren't many made these days) , you wouldn't be happy.

As far as the turbo, I wouldn't even give advice. They most certainly aren't doing well. More than one has been broken when new. Hyundai is guessing and throwing tsb at it. Given their track record with lies and denial on the Theta engine disaster, it's risky.

I dont rely on any one vehicle. So to me, I'd risk it. If I have a vehicle break down I can drive one of many others and have it towed and tell them get it right and my lawyer will be in touch. Not call me until it's right. I have done it before. (Not with a Hyundai). BUT if I wasn't a car guy, with a collection of cars and trucks, and I needed one good car to be reliable and last 200k with no issues....I wouldn't even consider the Cruz. Look up any survey from most any source about long term reliability or 200k mile registration percentages.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@Akfan - Wow - lol. From your above post, all I can say is I hope you can find a way to have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Gusto!
Bah humbug...

Actually
I had Ham, Turkey, chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, deviled eggs..... spent time with 2 different 95 year old relatives (although all my own grandparents have been gone for years) and then pulled a 100+HP sxs with an 800 HP truck to go wheeling with friends...... and I have 2 family meals to go. It's just a great day and time to be a gearhead. 20 years ago 800 hp was a dream from anything civil enough to be on the street. ("Muscle" cars like camaro and mustang were 300hp 20 years ago. ) Much less pulling a trailer. And side by side were 20-30 hp.

. Calling out a slow vehicle (I have plenty that are slow by today's standards) or noting the potential issues to a prospective buyer isn't just being grumpy. My point about the NA Cruz is that if you have owned anything made in the past 5-10 years, the Cruz is slow. Even compared to a Camry, the most boring car known to man. But even compared to 1/2 ton trucks and fat heavy SUV. While getting mid to low 20s mpg for most people on here,ours included. So the turbo would easily be preferred choice to me. Especially since most of the 2k or so folks on here are getting as good mileage from the turbo. HOWEVER with the turbo you get the dct which from what we see, is a gamble. And enough have failed that is not just a fluke anymore. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one, but I'd be more shocked by it not failing in 100k than failing. Ive bought vehicles that had garnered a name for having issues and hoped I wouldn't. In every case...they had the issue. I had a BMW that everyone said would blow a head gasket. It did. At 30k miles. I bought a Jeep that everyone said would have issues. It did. The jeep place had it more than I did. I had an RT dodge that everyone said would self destruct because of cylinder deactivation. It did. And I owned and raced subaru for years. The head gasket issues were real. Lol. Point being that 1-2 of an issue will happen. But when there gets to be a certain number of failures, it's no longer a fluke.

If you went back a year I was flamed for pointing it out. Some thought I was terrible for saying hyundai would end up recalling the dct. Of course I was right. And there will be more fuss over it. Hyundai is guessing and swapping parts. Putting in another trans identical to the ones that are failing. Ford did the same with their dct. Recall a small bunch. Still failed... recall more... still failed. Eventually just decided that the trans is junk. Same for Nissan and subaru cvt. And Hyundai/ kia is coming off of a recall that resulted from being in court and caught lying and covering up. They blamed everything. Lied about numbers. Knew what the issue was and covered it up. Denied it. Etc etc. Ive been involved in these affairs for years at my company. We manufacture parts for these companies. I've been involved in the back and forth during these early stages of a failure. I'm not guessing now. Nor was I guessing a year ago when I said there would be recalls amd investigating with the trans.

As far as personal use I only buy American vehicles 99% of the time. I own no Japanese vehicles. But for anyone who wants to register and drive a single vehicle my recommendations are different than my own purchases. Not because of who makes them. But based on how many parts on that particular model have been used for many years without issue. Any vehicle can leave you beside the road. Our fleet trucks are proof of that. Two of the most sold and most reliable vehicles made...yet your stranded over a belt or a single sensor.... lol. And vast majority of the time its nothing important that causes the breakdown. Not an issue but a sensor thinking that there is an issue.

But happy holidays to everyone here. Enjoy them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The salesman says the clutch plate needs to be replaced. They are trying to get Hyundai to send a new transmission.

·
Registered
22 SC Limited • Hampton Gray
497 Posts
Just me…but there is no way I would take a new vehicle with a replaced trans….if I knew it was replaced. Who knows if the replacement trans is new or rebuilt…and if the techs that install it will do a good job or not….

I know the Alabama assembly plant has its issues, but I still think that a vehicle that rolled off the assembly line as a whole unit has a better chance of everything being right and aligned and calibrated properly, more than a vehicle that has received a major repair in the field.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just me…but there is no way I would take a new vehicle with a replaced trans….if I knew it was replaced. Who knows if the replacement trans is new or rebuilt…and if the techs that install it will do a good job or not….

I know the Alabama assembly plant has its issues, but I still think that a vehicle that rolled off the assembly line as a whole unit has a better chance of everything being right and aligned and calibrated properly, more than a vehicle that has received a major repair in the field.
So what do you think the dealer will do with it ? They would (I hope) have to disclose what happened. Sell it as used ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would think they will sell it as new and that’s probably very acceptable. Technically its still new and has a new warranty. As an example, If a headlight were bad from the factory and the dealer noticed it before sale, they would replace it…rightly so. The definition for new is it has not been titled to a buyer, and it will still only have a few miles on it. I don’t think they will disclose unless asked. But this not a headlight…..although I doubt you would have any issues with a replaced trans….but why risk it? In 2 years if something failed….would you always think back and wonder if it had anything to do with the work done?

Once the vehicle is yours, the entire conversation changes….

Just my 2 cents, sorry if I have placed doubt in your mind. At the end of the day, you have to do what’s right for you.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
375 Posts
@Stuzys - are you still thinking about buying the 4K lb paperweight?

My gut feeling is, Hyundai is obligated to document and keep records of any/all work performed. Can someone, on the know, answer this question?

This isn’t like a lost puppy 🐶 in need of a home. It wil be $40K roll of the dice. Good luck with that!

gusto!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
@Stuzys - are you still thinking about buying the 4K lb paperweight?

My gut feeling is, Hyundai is obligated to document and keep records of any/all work performed. Can someone, on the know, answer this question?

This isn’t like a lost puppy 🐶 in need of a home. It wil be $40K roll of the dice. Good luck with that!

gusto!
No. Definitely won't take it. Curious what the dealer will do with it...

·
Registered
496 Posts

I would think they will sell it as new and that’s probably very acceptable. Technically its still new and has a new warranty. As an example, If a headlight were bad from the factory and the dealer noticed it before sale, they would replace it…rightly so. The definition for new is it has not been titled to a buyer, and it will still only have a few miles on it. I don’t think they will disclose unless asked. But this not a headlight…..although I doubt you would have any issues with a replaced trans….but why risk it? In 2 years if something failed….would you always think back and wonder if it had anything to do with the work done?

Once the vehicle is yours, the entire conversation changes….

Just my 2 cents, sorry if I have placed doubt in your mind. At the end of the day, you have to do what’s right for you.

I manage a facility that makes parts. There is a decent chance you have had a vehicle with a new part already replaced. At least one of two of the folks on here. How do you think there are "rebuilt" engine and trans for them to put into vehicles that are new models, not even sold yet.

It's not uncommon for an engine or trans to fail an inspection new and be sent to an inspect and repair line. They tear it down and use it as "rebuilt" . No carfax or anything report either. A surprising number of new vehicles have already had paint repair too. Lol.

Sometimes you get a "do not use" lot number. May say "all engine from number xxx to xxx" may have improper clearance issues. You pull those engine from brand new cars and inspect them. If any are bad you call the engine plant and inform them and they add more to the range. Now more plants may need contacted. Or nothing is wrong and those go into inventory as rebuilt even though they have never been fired up. May have only had the oil pan removed. Either way the vehicles now are on their second engine.

99% of the time you pull them and disassemble and they were fine. After working there for 5 years I swore i wouldn't buy another new car. Lol. Until after 20 years I kept to that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dealer will sell it as new if the title hasn't changed hands. I doubt that these events are rare. The vehicle gets fixed and that's that. Depending on the dealership, the "repair" may or may not show up on a CarFax or Autocheck report. Or the other scenario is dealer keeps it as Demo and sells it at a discount with a full warranty. Either way the trucklet is going down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So the dealer found me one. However it is in NJ and I am in MD. Hyundai site says it's 120 miles away. How many miles do you think is acceptable when getting a new car? I looked at some articles that said over 200 should be considered used. Also, the salesman said this one has been sitting around a while because the dealer markup is redicoolous (2-3k).
What would you do? They are supposed to pick it up today 12/1.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Stuzys, I think you’ll have to answer the mileage question yourself. But are you splitting hairs? Does 120 miles actually matter to you? I drive that much in a day often in the area I live in. The alternative would be for the dealer to put it on a flat bed truck and haul it to you, and I suspect it could be more expensive. As for the original dealer having it marked up, why does it matter? Is the transferring dealer passing on the markup to you? If yes, then that’s a concern….if not, then the original markup has no bearing. I suspect you should only be concerned with the final price vs the MSRP. If your concern is the vehicle has been on the lot for a few months, then look at the build date on the door of the vehicle and ask yourself if you think it’s new enough…..but you’ll have to think of some date criteria to justify what a date cutoff should be. Has the dealer where the vehicle has been at…had a tropical storm or hail storm recently? Perhaps that is a question….

Overall, perhaps others will chime in on your question.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
375 Posts
120 miles! I’ve driven that far just to have a 🥩 dinner. Is the SC the one you want? If so, then anything less than a 6 hr drive should be a nonissue. Take the trip. Check it out. Buy it or not. Find a nice steakhouse to stop at on the way home. Enjoy the adventure. The hunting for any vehicle was the best part the process. The bagging, tagging and bringing one home is only a small part of the story!

Gusto!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh, and the one BIG question you should ask….does the vehicle have the Gas Door Dimple? If yes, then all is good! I’m just kidding, when the 23 model came out…one of the few differences anyone on the forum could find between the 22 model and 23 model was the addition of a dimple for your finger on the gas filler door…and we made a big deal out of it. LOL.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts