Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the SC has great storage space under the rear seats, it's terrible that half of it is being occupied by the car jack. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to this. I though of maybe buying a hydraulic bottle jack small enough that i could fit into one of the bed pockets (not sure if they come small enough). What's your thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
Just keep in mind the jack was purposely put inside the cabin so it wouldn't make you unload the bed to get to it.

That said, a lot of pickups locate it behind the rear seatback, but ours don't fold down.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I took mine out and put it in the garage. I traded in a Jeep Renegade that didn't even come with a spare tire. A small air compressor was included instead. I kept that and put it in the SC.

Someone on another post mentioned that they dropped the spare tire and had room to put the jack inside the spare wheel well. He stated he hadn't noticed any rattling noises from it either. Seems like a pretty good option.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Given the room under the rear seat it almost looks like you could just shove everything under it and up against the back wall. That is where the jack is on my Dakota. I keep a 4-way tire iron wrapped in a blanket back there too since my trailer lugs are a different size then my vehicle wheel lugs... learned that one the hard way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree. Few weeks back was coming back through the mountains from a camping trip some guy in his mustang got caught in a little rock slide and had driven on about a 10inch boulder in the road. Was able to lift him up and grab the boulder out with the 3 ton Jack I had in the truck. Certainly handy to have one

·
Registered
30 Posts
yea, but I think a hilift jack would be a bit redundant. The body molding may not be durable enough to withstand all that weight on the hilift. But I'm already seeing some SC's decked out with all kinds of gear. Seen one on the parkway last weekend.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
144 Posts
ideally and even safer when one is getting older, is prob get an account with triple A we have a trip A account. They saved our butts a few times. but I still want to have some piece of mind knowing I could do it if I wanted to.
AAA puts the A's in "Aaargh! I can't believe how long it takes to get a tow truck out to me at their rates!"...I have literally just paid myself and gotten a truck in ten minutes after waiting an hour for an AAA hook....but I still have it too. It was more use for getting discount hotel rates, but my travel is non-existent courtesy of Covid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One can't expect AAA to be right there in an instant. So we wait if we have too. We've never been in an issue that we couldn't handle. fail batteries etc. One issue though I hate when dealership of tire placed use 200psi on the lugs that's about the only time we need help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Silver Gas Auto part Technology Nickel

This is not about storage for the jack, but an accessory I think makes the jack easier to use. I dislike the lug wrench that typically comes with a vehicle. A 1/2” drive ratchet wrench or a 1/2” drive crank-like spinner would be much easier to use on the lug nuts and on the jack. The wheel lug nuts are 21mm. I made a fitting so I can operate the jack with a 21mm socket wrench. It bolts onto the jack with a 5/16” bolt. The nut on the bolt needs to be only finger tight. If I round the square corners on my fitting, I can fold it 90 degrees and leave it in place all of the time. I had to build up the hex head on a bolt I will never use and then grind down the weld bead on all six sides until it fita the 21mm six point socket fairly closely. I had to change a tire on another vehicle with the same type of lug wrench and jack handle that comes with the Santa Cruz. It was no fun, and as soon as I could, I made a similar modification on that vehicle’s jack. (The ratchet in the photo is a 3/8” drive I am not using much in recent years, and it is strong enough to loosen a wheel lug nut.)

·
Registered
515 Posts
While the SC has great storage space under the rear seats, it's terrible that half of it is being occupied by the car jack. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a solution to this. I though of maybe buying a hydraulic bottle jack small enough that i could fit into one of the bed pockets (not sure if they come small enough). What's your thoughts on this?
You can get small bottle jacks that lift 5 - 7 tons that should work (I've got one). I think it's small enough to fit in the rear cubbie, or just drop it in the brunk. That along with a folding lug "t-wrench" will save a lot of space -just make sure it has the correct size!

Nickel Metal Auto part Aluminium Titanium

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got this idea from another user. I took the jack out and put it in a heavy duty trash compactor bag and sprayed it down with WD-40 to prevent rust, lowered the spare tire and put it in between the spare and the body. it holds it well and I put a large ziptie holding it to the lowering cable to make sure that it does not drop out. Now it is completely out of the way and accessible when I need the spare. All of the tools are underneath the seat back portion of the rear seats so my underseat storage is completely open now.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts