Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There Could Be Another Trucklet on the Market very Soon. I realize this could be old news, but I just found this..

However, one key point that maybe included within the VW version is a diesel engine which the SC doesn't have. If that is the case, we'll prob wait for the VW version.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
This has been teased for a long time, only a few years after SC concept came out…
I do like the Chevy Avalanche style fold down… Something, that should have been considered for SC and Mav.
VW has teased us with the new concept VW Bus for many years now as well. The latest was a 2022 all electric version. Or is that now 2023? Lol...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The SC was teased back in 2015: The Long, Tortuous Wait for the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz so brace yourself for a long wait. The mid engine Corvette rumors started in the 1970s :ROFLMAO: they even built prototypes.

There are plenty of UTEs sold in South America that could make thier way to US soil... or not. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I bet everyone in the auto industry is keeping a close eye on Mav and SC sales figures - they will pounce as soon as its economical feasible. Hyundai is a real test because America's big 3 already own the truck market. However the compact not-really-a-truck market? Completely untested waters. Those who tried before like Subaru didn't really cash in. Honda has sold Ridgelines for awhile but success has been limited.

So years from now the SC will either be the shining star example that re-booted the compact truck market or just another I-told-you-so failure that couldn't carve out a new niche.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I mean, the article came out in 2018 ... has there been any speculation or production since? Seems like if they WERE going to do it, it fell off the map. We'd be more likely to see Stallantis bring over the Ram 1000 or Ram 700 first. They'd just have to reengineer for US safety standards.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
276 Posts
First, one thing about the VW concept I like is the raised roof rails. I like those and they would look good on the SC without the crossbars.

As for small trucks, I think the Maverick may be the litmus test that determines if there's a market for small "trucks" because it's designed to look like a truck. The SC, while I will defend as a truck any day of the week, has that unique styling that defines it truly as a crossover pickup. If the market takes off, the success of either may determine the approach of how other carmakers design their vehicles. Do they go the truck design route or the bolder crossover design route? I just hope that for the sake of the future of small pickups and the possibility of more choices that compete for my dollar, that this market takes off this time around.

Oh, and for the win, having come from a Ram 1500, I could get behind a refreshed Ram 700/100 for the US Market

Wheel Tire Car Grille Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Yep. That mini Ram is a cool lookin' little trucklet.

Personal opinion, I think this may be the time of the small truck resurgence simply because of the size of full-size - or even mid-size - trucks right now. Your options were "old full size but called mid-size" or "1980s monster truck" with nothing to fill the gap left by the old style Ranger or the S-10/S-15/original Colorado/Canyons. Do I think these would take off if they were car-based, like the old El Camino/Ranchero? Probably not. They have all the problems that come with sedans, which "nobody" is buying anymore. Low entry, no ground clearance, etc. Where the "crossover pickup" (which I like as a category name, actually) strikes a great balance for most people is the ease of entry and ride height of popular SUVs with the increased fuel economy over most full frame trucks and MOST (if not all) of the capability the average truck owner actually uses. Tow a boat/small camper, haul some mulch from the hardware store, throw some lumber in the back, etc.

It fills a need that folks like me (us) couldn't fill with any existing new vehicle. It's specifically why I've held on to my almost 25 year old GMC so long. It was a part-time driver when I needed a truck that was cheap to keep around. Although I think I'm still a bit attached, because I haven't listed it for sale yet. Really need to do that ...

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited, Black
141 Posts
There are cool trucklets all over the world that we don't get in the USA (the land of trucks).
I'll never understand Mercedes not bringing the X-300 to the US. I'd have bought one the very first day.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
First, one thing about the VW concept I like is the raised roof rails. I like those and they would look good on the SC without the crossbars.

As for small trucks, I think the Maverick may be the litmus test that determines if there's a market for small "trucks" because it's designed to look like a truck. The SC, while I will defend as a truck any day of the week, has that unique styling that defines it truly as a crossover pickup. If the market takes off, the success of either may determine the approach of how other carmakers design their vehicles. Do they go the truck design route or the bolder crossover design route? I just hope that for the sake of the future of small pickups and the possibility of more choices that compete for my dollar, that this market takes off this time around.

Oh, and for the win, having come from a Ram 1500, I could get behind a refreshed Ram 700/100 for the US Market

View attachment 3965
I like that and I will use it from now on to explain the SC "A Cross-Over Pickup"

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
... As for small trucks, I think the Maverick may be the litmus test that determines if there's a market for small "trucks" because it's designed to look like a truck. The SC, while I will defend as a truck any day of the week, has that unique styling that defines it truly as a crossover pickup. If the market takes off, the success of either may determine the approach of how other carmakers design their vehicles. ...
While I think you're right on-target, I am beginning to fear that external factors (supply chain woes, the gathering inflation storm) may so affect the arrival of these 'little trucks' that one, or both, may die aborning.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
408 Posts
I saw the Ram 700 when I was researching buying my SC. If it had been available at the same time, I might have chosen the Ram over the Hyundai because there is a local Dodge/ Ram dealership here. It would have made maintenance easier as my nearest Hyundai deal is 2 hours away.

Reactions: CASD

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts
There are cool trucklets all over the world that we don't get in the USA (the land of trucks).
I'll never understand Mercedes not bringing the X-300 to the US. I'd have bought one the very first day.

View attachment 4395
From MotorTrend article: "After just three years on the market, Mercedes-Benz's X-Class pickup is being discontinued. Production will cease at its assembly plant in Spain by June. If you're unfamiliar with the X-Class, it is a midsize pickup truck that is pretty much a badge-engineered version of the Nissan Navara, the global-market version of the lowly Frontier. That little factoid should answer questions about why Mercedes never brought the X-Class to the truck-loving U.S. of A., even though it (briefly) considered doing so." Here's the link Mercedes-Benz X-Class Pickup Truck Discontinued After Slow Sales

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That MB trucklet would have never worked in the US market, it doesn't fit in with their brand image here. However as a Nissan it could have been a hit. I think Mav sales might get some other brands to jump into this segment. I've said before CUVs are popular and trucks are popular, plus overlanding is growing trend - so in theory a CUV with a bed should be successful.

·
Registered
SEL Premium Hampton Grey
132 Posts
Look up the chicken tax, if you are wondering why the US does not get many overseas small trucks. It would have ended with the Trans Pacific trade agreement, if the US had not pulled out of it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
We once had small pickups in the US, remember the Mazda B2200? The chicken tax is part of it, but as this older article states its not the only reason: https://jalopnik.com/why-don-t-we-get-small-trucks-in-america-1725619233

I think the main reason is same as why we don't have many compact cars anymore - the profit margin just isn't there. Ford cheapest vehicle is current the Mav, gone are Focus and Festiva and even the Fusion. The OEMs make big money off big trucks, thus development of small trucks became a losing scenario. So what changed? Well both the SC and Mav are based off already popular and profitable vehicles - CUVs. In particular Ford is leveraging three vehicles from one platform - you've got the Escape, the Bronco Sport and now the Mav. The SC is based on the Tuscon which is Hyundai's second most popular model.

I once cursed the stupidity of CUVs - they are just hatchbacks with plastic wheel arches and higher ground clearance but their popularity has allowed for the return of compact right-sized trucks. I think the real dead zone now is previous mid-sized truck category where the Ranger lives. You can get 90% of its ability in the smaller and cheaper Mav. Or pay 10% more and you get a full size F150.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I once cursed the stupidity of CUVs - they are just hatchbacks with plastic wheel arches and higher ground clearance but their popularity has allowed for the return of compact right-sized trucks. I think the real dead zone now is previous mid-sized truck category where the Ranger lives. You can get 90% of its ability in the smaller and cheaper Mav. Or pay 10% more and you get a full size F150.
[/QUOTE]

I loved my '99 Honda Cr-V! One best vehicles I have ever own. If the NE winters didn't eat it up I'd still have it. Easy maintenance, reliable, went anywheres I needed it to go, could tow my M/C.... and then honda had to make it bigger and fancier. It was no longer practical for me. Then the Element came along and went away. I don't understand why practicality can be part of the marketing strategy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We once had small pickups in the US, remember the Mazda B2200? The chicken tax is part of it, but as this older article states its not the only reason: https://jalopnik.com/why-don-t-we-get-small-trucks-in-america-1725619233

I think the main reason is same as why we don't have many compact cars anymore - the profit margin just isn't there. Ford cheapest vehicle is current the Mav, gone are Focus and Festiva and even the Fusion. The OEMs make big money off big trucks, thus development of small trucks became a losing scenario. So what changed? Well both the SC and Mav are based off already popular and profitable vehicles - CUVs. In particular Ford is leveraging three vehicles from one platform - you've got the Escape, the Bronco Sport and now the Mav. The SC is based on the Tuscon which is Hyundai's second most popular model.

And the Santa Cruz is just a SUV with a open trunk, actually the upper models have a hatch that just rolls instead of hinged.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
408 Posts
How does Ford get around the chicken tax with the Maverick that's built in Mexico?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts