Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice! anyway you could share the model/part numbers? Also, do you think you could fit two of those kayak holders up there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice! anyway you could share the model/part numbers? Also, do you think you could fit two of those kayak holders up there?
For the roof rack, I went to the Thule site and did the “Fit My Vehicle”. It came back with Wingbars Evo 127 + Flush Rail Evo + Kit 186112. They had a quick turnaround and it was delivered less than a week after I ordered.

The kayak holder is a Hullavator Pro 898 and it makes loading kayaks a breeze. This holder can be difficult to find and is sold out on the Thule site. I found mine on eBay. Because it extends out over the side of the roof, there should be enough room for 2 holders, but the limiting factor is the width of the kayaks.

Note: Thule sells the locks separately, which I didn’t realize when I ordered. Between the roof rack and kayak holder, there are spots for 6 locks.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Found the roof rack kit - $710 in Canada, available in a week. That's not terrible - and would definitely be faster than waiting for Hyundai to release theirs. (Thule Evo WingBar | Thule for any Canuks looking for these, save you the search.)

Pretty much all of their kayak carriers are out of stock except the Hull-a-Port XT (Thule Hull-a-Port XT | Thule) which seems like a flexible option.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
could you show us the side profile of the vehicle indicating where on the rail you positioned the bars?

·
Registered
22 Posts
And we still don't have a good sense of what the (static? dynamic?) roof weight limits are do we? Asking for those of us who dream of a rooftop tent...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rails have a good amount of curvature, so this is about as flat as I could get and still meet Thule’s spacing recommendation. From where the rail meets the black plastic to the foot of the left crossbar is 8 inches. From the foot of the left cross bar to the foot of the right crossbar is 27.5 inches per Thule (~22.25 between the two crossbar feet or 35.5 from the black plastic).

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
The rails have a good amount of curvature, so this is about as flat as I could get and still meet Thule’s spacing recommendation. From where the rail meets the black plastic to the foot of the left crossbar is 8 inches. From the foot of the left cross bar to the foot of the right crossbar is 27.5 inches per Thule (~22.25 between the two crossbar feet or 35.5 from the black plastic).

View attachment 2237
yeah, that was what worries me, the flush rails of SC are way shorter than Tucson's, so it looks like your front crossbar is definitely mounted above the moonroof

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, that was what worries me, the flush rails of SC are way shorter than Tucson's, so it looks like your front crossbar is definitely mounted above the moonroof
There is about 2.5 inches of clearance between the crossbar and the moonroof in its tilted position (sorry about the dark photo… sun just set). Very little noise generated when driving at highway speeds. So I have no concerns about having the crossbar over the moonroof. Now, if you had a mount with clamps that go under the crossbar, that may be more of an issue.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts

This is the OEM position for Tuscon, and the front bar doesn't sit on top of the moonroof
but like you demonstrated, it's not possible for SC
so, I'll probably do what you did and hope the moonroof is structurally sound to have crossbar mounts nearby
thanks for the photos

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see the Hyundai shop has the cross bars now. But are there side rails available? My SC only has a rubber insert in the roof so I'm assuming that I don't have the side rails. Forgive me if this is a silly question.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
I see the Hyundai shop has the cross bars now. But are there side rails available? My SC only has a rubber insert in the roof so I'm assuming that I don't have the side rails. Forgive me if this is a silly question.
yeah, you'll need the side flush rails to install these crossbars, talk to your dealer parts department maybe they can order those rails

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Waitaminit ... so that slides down over the side for loading and then flips up top?? Freakin' sweet!! I think I completely missed how that setup worked. Love it!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
very cool, are you still able to fit in the garage 7'2" I assume is the height, if you leave the hullavator attached on the crossbars?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
very cool, are you still able to fit in the garage 7'2" I assume is the height, if you leave the hullavator attached on the crossbars?
Probably not, at least not with the cradles attached. My garage opening is 84 inches and the height to the top of the larger cradle is ~86” (in agreement with your 7’2” assumption). It’s too bad the cradles don’t fold then not in use.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Probably not, at least not with the cradles attached. My garage opening is 84 inches and the height to the top of the larger cradle is ~86” (in agreement with your 7’2” assumption). It’s too bad the cradles don’t fold then not in use.
Thanks, so what do you do? detach the hullavator from the rails? detach the cradles (if possible), park in the driveway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, so what do you do? detach the hullavator from the rails? detach the cradles (if possible), park in the driveway?
I park it in the driveway. I only have a 2 stall garage but 3 cars. The crossbars and hullavator have locks on them so I’m not too worried about theft.
The cradles are secured with Allen bolts so they can be removed pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts