Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa Cruz owners,

I have been following the development of this new truck for quite some time, and would really consider purchasing one if I could get the options I would really like to have. The SEL premium contains all of the features that I would need to have, the two biggest being the turbo AWD and moonroof. A nearby dealer had an SEL with the activity package which gave me a good enough feel for how the car drives. I liked everything about the little truck EXCEPT the 10.25 digital instrument cluster.

Good lord I have never hated anything in my entire life more than that gauge panel. It just looks so out of place, like a giant smartphone just leaning on the dash behind the steering wheel. It was an absolute dealbreaker.

I see the lower trims, where the turbo is not available, have what in my opinion is a very nice looking traditional gauge setup. This got me thinking, would it be possible to swap out the gauge panel if I purchased thr parts from the lower trim and installed them into a SEL premium?

If it was possible, I’d be willing to pay just about any cost. I really like the truck, and think it would suit my lifestyle quite well. I currently drive a 16’ Tacoma, and while it is genuinely perfect for my usage, I’d really like to help boost the sales numbers for the Santa Cruz to help keep smaller trucks alive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This got me thinking, would it be possible to swap out the gauge panel if I purchased thr parts from the lower trim and installed them into a SEL premium?
Per the service manual the gauge panel has to be programmed... so the answer is no.

However since the 10.25" screen is optional on the SEL (via the Activity Package) I think it could be done. You'll have to find someone who is experienced with Hyundai's software and willing to attempt this. And no dealer would perform this modification even if it is technically possible because this kind of software is normally VIN locked.

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
184 Posts
with vehicles being so computer controlled these days I’m not sure. At a minimum you would likely not only need the cluster, but possibly a multitude of sensors (fuel gauge, oil, speedo, etc) and likely a trip to the dealer to get everything programmed. I would guess a couple thousand dollars to possibly get it done.

What do you hate about the 10” dash? There a a few display settings you can choose from. I personally think the square display is horrible….

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
with vehicles being so computer controlled these days I’m not sure. At a minimum you would likely not only need the cluster, but possibly a multitude of sensors (fuel gauge, oil, speedo, etc) and likely a trip to the dealer to get everything programmed. I would guess a couple thousand dollars to possibly get it done.
From what I can tell both gauges take the same connector. So in theory its the same signal from the same sensors just displayed in analog form vs a digital screen. The problem is most of these signals are CAN-BUS, aka "from the computer" thus the gauge and maybe even the BCM or ECU has to be re-programmed for it to all work correctly.

Years from now when wrecked SC are available to pick apart in a junk yard this could be a interesting project... but with a new vehicle? Total nightmare and not worth it at all since you would immediately void the warranty.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
ScoobySnack - I'm right there with you. Bought an SEL NA 2.5L AWD without the Activity Package to get the traditional gauge cluster and other things.

What you want is a "Canadian Preferred" trim which is the base Canadian model and has the 2.5T and traditional gauge cluster. If they can do it in Canada, it can be done. How you'd go about it in America is a different story...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScoobySnack - I'm right there with you. Bought an SEL NA 2.5L AWD without the Activity Package to get the traditional gauge cluster and other things.

What you want is a "Canadian Preferred" trim which is the base Canadian model and has the 2.5T and traditional gauge cluster. If they can do it in Canada, it can be done. How you'd go about it in America is a different story...
The Canadian border is about 900 yards from my house 🤔

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The Canadian border is about 900 yards from my house 🤔
Be the first to import a new Canadian model into the USA and tell us all how to do it without paying all those Canadian taxes and fees please.

I'm hoping Hyundai will make a USA "N-Line" sport model that is basically the same as the Canadian Preferred with all the cool N-Line interior and exterior upgrade bits including custom N-Line wheels, but keeping the traditional hooded analog gauge cluster and center console knobs and dials. I guy can dream...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You might be in luck - At least if you want to wait till 2022… When options for trims change…
looks like SEL Premium FWD will have a traditional cluster and digital for the limited and AWD as an option for both SEL P and Limited.

or Import the base model for about $37K (USD) all taxes in MSRP from Ontario, Canada. 🇨🇦😁
White Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I didn't even know there was a traditional gauge cluster. Any pictures?
Here's a shot of the gauge cluster itself that I took for the great fwy mileage on my trip across Los Angeles yesterday.
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive tire

The blue color you see on the outside edges of the speedo and tach change to red with Sport mode. The center rectangle is a color display screen about the size of a smaller smart phone. It also has a traditional hood over it.
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

I'm among those that prefer this traditional hooded analog gauge cluster look and function.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
My ONLY real beef with the digital cluster is that it doesn't get dim enough at night. I'm always trying to dim it more when it dings back it's reminder that it's already on 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Santa Cruz owners,

I have been following the development of this new truck for quite some time, and would really consider purchasing one if I could get the options I would really like to have. The SEL premium contains all of the features that I would need to have, the two biggest being the turbo AWD and moonroof. A nearby dealer had an SEL with the activity package which gave me a good enough feel for how the car drives. I liked everything about the little truck EXCEPT the 10.25 digital instrument cluster.

Good lord I have never hated anything in my entire life more than that gauge panel. It just looks so out of place, like a giant smartphone just leaning on the dash behind the steering wheel. It was an absolute dealbreaker.

I see the lower trims, where the turbo is not available, have what in my opinion is a very nice looking traditional gauge setup. This got me thinking, would it be possible to swap out the gauge panel if I purchased thr parts from the lower trim and installed them into a SEL premium?

If it was possible, I’d be willing to pay just about any cost. I really like the truck, and think it would suit my lifestyle quite well. I currently drive a 16’ Tacoma, and while it is genuinely perfect for my usage, I’d really like to help boost the sales numbers for the Santa Cruz to help keep smaller trucks alive.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Well I would trade my cluster with you. I feel the same about mine. I want the digital. If you find out you can. Let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts