Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone that has taken delivery of their Santa Cruz having issues with insurance - or getting a decent rate?

I have Geico and went to add the new vehicle online and it didn't recognize the VIN, so tried to add by year/make/model and Santa Cruz isn't listed, so had to choose not listed. I get my quote and it's gone up from my K5 and higher than the Camaro Convertible I had before that. I thought if it's quoting a rate on a vehicle that's not in the system, that it might be defaulting to a high number - so I tried calling to get a quote and was given the same number. I currently have motorcycle and renters insurance with them, but going to Progressive with just the SC was almost $500 less on a 6 month policy with the exact same coverage. I tried other online quotes and it was hit and miss on if the Santa Cruz was listed or if it would accept the VIN.

GEICO

Progressive

That seems like an awful big swing to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone that has taken delivery of their Santa Cruz having issues with insurance - or getting a decent rate?

I have Geico and went to add the new vehicle online and it didn't recognize the VIN, so tried to add by year/make/model and Santa Cruz isn't listed, so had to choose not listed. I get my quote and it's gone up from my K5 and higher than the Camaro Convertible I had before that. I thought if it's quoting a rate on a vehicle that's not in the system, that it might be defaulting to a high number - so I tried calling to get a quote and was given the same number. I currently have motorcycle and renters insurance with them, but going to Progressive with just the SC was almost $500 less on a 6 month policy with the exact same coverage. I tried other online quotes and it was hit and miss on if the Santa Cruz was listed or if it would accept the VIN.

GEICO
View attachment 1528

Progressive
View attachment 1529

Chuck,
Finally my turn to "pay it forward" to you. I'm 60 yrs old and in the insurance industry my entire career. There's no magic to insurance and I stress no loyalty. I encourage my customers to shop every 3 years. It's not worth shopping every year as companies change their appetite about every 3 to 5 years. I suggest going to a local independent insurance agent. They represent multiple insurance companies and will throw your profile ( age, accidents, youthful driver, blah, blah) into a comparative software rater program. It will spit out pricing and obviously choose the best price point. Make sure your do apples to apples comparison. Don't get fooled by saving $$ when your deductible is raised or other coverages are decreased. Note companies like Geico, Allstate, State Farm, Progressive represent one company and throw you one rate. Getting comparative pricing broadens your scope of companies and choices. Nothing wrong with the companies I mentioned and sometimes they are the best.
Regarding your SC: It's a brand new vehicle and the companies data base does not have this yet. We typically plug in the VIN and magic...your vehicle appears. That's where "symbols" take over. Geico and others need to understand your vehicle: # of cylinders, GVW, SUV, etc. They can back into it and get you a price. Expect an adjustment (typically at renewal) when the SC VIN's get populated into the VIN national database. I could go on but hope this is of good guidance. Good luck and shop around!

Doug

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
Logically, it ought to be real close to the rates offered for the new Tucson. The safety suite of features should save you some money, but then again it will be a more expensive vehicle to repair. For example, I pay $950/yr (including uninsured motorist) for my 2021 Honda Ridgeline. I know rates vary significantly by location, age, credit history, accident history, etc. Just throwing that number out for a comparison.

I agree with @Doug, always go to a local insurance broker who can shop several different carriers. We have been swapping back and forth between Safeco, Nationwide, and Travelers for years.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
272 Posts
Chuck,
Finally my turn to "pay it forward" to you. I'm 60 yrs old and in the insurance industry my entire career. There's no magic to insurance and I stress no loyalty. I encourage my customers to shop every 3 years. It's not worth shopping every year as companies change their appetite about every 3 to 5 years.

Doug
💯 this. For the past 20 years I've switched back and forth between Progressive and Nationwide every 3-4 years although Progressive has held their rates steady now for the past 6 years while Nationwide has seen their better days. These is absolutely no customer loyalty in the insurance industry.

Also the bundling has never worked for me. I have homeowners with State Farm and they want $500 more for auto and my auto carrier Progressive wants $1000+ more for homeowners.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
189 Posts
When I called my State Farm agent to get a quote (since I have the VIN - Thanks Chuck!), they came back with $80/month, with the caveat that they had to put it in as a Santa Fe, as the Santa Cruz didn't come up. I'm hoping that by the time the truck arrives at the dealer later this week, State Farm will have added the Santa Cruz to their system. Even if it's not, the $80/month is cheaper than I expected, because when I called them a month or two ago about it, they came back with $110/month. I currently have Auto, Home, & Motorcycle coverage through them.

·
Registered
9 Posts

GEICO
View attachment 1528

Progressive
View attachment 1529

Same thing minus the price hike happened to me with Geico.

·
Registered
21 Posts

GEICO
View attachment 1528

Progressive
View attachment 1529

I went in today and switched insurance from my 2020 Kona to the Santa Cruz. $34 difference every 6 months .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alternate suggestion if anyone is looking for insurance still, check out Amica. I've used them since I started driving with no issues. I picked them when I was researching cause they were top rated alongside that one you can only get if you're military. Prices are awesome too. I even somehow skip a month or two of payments each year I've noticed when the bills come in, however that works. They are selective on who they take tho, can't have accidents or tickets recently and need good credit too I believe.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I had this issue in 2013 when I bought one of the first 2014 Mazda6’s. I called up my Allstate agent directly, gave her the VIN, and it didn’t work in her system. She asked me what car it was and I told her it was new. She then asked me the trim, color, safety features, and for 24 hours. In the mean time, my new car was covered under my policy as a short term vehicle.

A day later, she had contacted corporate, it got the system updated, and my car was covered. Planning on doing the same here.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
680 Posts
as of today, Progressive recognized the VIN immediately
It's hard to compare rates between people, but I have these 3 vehicles under the same policy and exact same coverage

here is the cost of 6 months

Not sure why SC is so cheap to insure but I'll take it

·
Registered
272 Posts
2022 HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ premium: $160.34 (6 months) Progressive North Carolina

The above is interesting because 8 days ago when I added the SC using the Progressive site I'm pretty sure it was $240.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
2022 HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ premium: $160.34 (6 months) Progressive North Carolina

The above is interesting because 8 days ago when I added the SC using the Progressive site I'm pretty sure it was $240.
That's quite a deal for insurance even for a sub $30K vehicle. Maybe you should lock in that payment for say, five years. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
Man, I'd LOVE to see insurance that cheap ... I'm expecting close to $1,000/year. You want to talk price gouging ... insurance companies are the undefeated kings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's quite a deal for insurance even for a sub $30K vehicle. Maybe you should lock in that payment for say, five years. ;)
Lol, I wish. It does seem almost too good to be true but when looking at the breakdown beside my 2 other 10 year old vehicles it looks about right. The liability premium for all are the same. The collision for the SC was a little more than 2.5X that the next highest one and the comprehensive was 50% more. All in all it's far less than I was expecting. It wouldn't let me pay but $52 last week when I added the SC so I'll be calling them in a couple of days to see what my balance is. I don't want to get hooked into one of those insurance loan shark finance plans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went with progressive for my Sel Premium. It went down from covering my 2017 Mazda cx3. I know models with all the lane monitoring and blind spot assist type stuff bring down the insurance cost a decent amount. I was pretty shocked last year when my wife’s new forester was cheaper than her previous crosstrek. I asked the agent about it, and they explained that the technology works and helps reduce accidents/ cost.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just called my State Farm rep, because it's still not listed on my State Farm app (other than as Covered Vehicles: 2012 Hyundai Veloster + one other).

He looked in their system, and they still didn't have it as an available model. He showed it on my policy as a Santa Fe for preliminary coverage purposes, and he said that it's scheduled to be "worked" by Underwriting on Friday.

So we'll see.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
I was pretty shocked last year when my wife’s new forester was cheaper than her previous crosstrek.
Yeah, we had that little lesson in shock last summer when the new Chevy cost hundreds less than the 9 year old Dodge for the exact same coverage - except with glass on the Chevy. One has cameras and gizmos, one doesn't. Big difference in insurance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So State Farm's underwriting department still has not "worked" my policy on the Santa Cruz. My credit union has sent me notices stating that they need proof of insurance coverage, and they'll only accept a copy of the policy stating coverage amounts, that the standard proof of insurance card won't work. The credit union says that if they don't receive it within the week, they'll take out coverage for me to the tune of $110/month. My agent sent them the proof last Friday (9/17). The CU's "Final Notice" was dated 9/20, so the proof probably crossed paths with the letter. When I called the agent again, I was told that Underwriting had me on the schedule for 9/29. So on 9/1 I was told they'd work it 9/3. Every time I call, they tell me that it is showing that Underwriting will work it "on Friday." They've had the VIN and other information since 8/16. It shouldn't take a month and a half for the biggest auto insurer to work this out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts