Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Accessories THEY add without your request can and should be taken off and replaced with the factory parts. Or walk out the door.

We may be WAITING for the SC, but very few of us are so desperate to have it that we'll put up with shenanigans.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
I received a call from the concierge and my dealer a couple days ago - they both told me "a couple weeks". Maybe it has something to do with when you reserved. But from what I remember reading, if you don't buy in a certain period of time (3 months???) you're automatically refunded.
It's actually looking like a couple weeks for me too, now that I can see it on my dealers allocation list. Getting excited!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Accessories THEY add without your request can and should be taken off and replaced with the factory parts. Or walk out the door.
For sure.

The question here is what does PIO mean? Are these "factory installed" accessories or "dealer installed". It makes a big difference because if the part is on the Monroney Label (from the factory) they will NOT remove the part, which is why I asked the question before. I believe switching or removing the part would be illegal.

I went thru this many years ago with a dealer when I wanted different wheels. I even offered them CASH to just swap the wheels despite there being no price difference, it was just a choice: type A wheels vs type B wheels - but they flat out refused. The change in condition meant the vehicle no longer matched the VIN issued Monroney Label. I could BUY the wheels outright (from the parts department) and the dealer would install them, but they would not credit me the cost of the original wheels since there was no way to re-inventory the part.

Here is some information about this topic Autotrader - page unavailable (<- this link works despite saying its unavailable)

·
Registered
234 Posts
My dealer (Florida) shared this with me and I see two add-on's I didn't ask for:

View attachment 983
The thing is, THAT screen is where they are inputting to request the car for you -- the dealer is asking for those accessories. Most dealers will put floor mats on at a minimum because 98% of the people want those, but in this case where they are requesting it for you they should be putting in exactly what you want.

For sure.

The question here is what does PIO mean? Are these "factory installed" accessories or "dealer installed". It makes a big difference because if the part is on the Monroney Label (from the factory) they will NOT remove the part, which is why I asked the question before. I believe switching or removing the part would be illegal.

I went thru this many years ago with a dealer when I wanted different wheels. I even offered them CASH to just swap the wheels despite there being no price difference, it was just a choice: type A wheels vs type B wheels - but they flat out refused. The change in condition meant the vehicle no longer matched the VIN issued Monroney Label. I could BUY the wheels outright (from the parts department) and the dealer would install them, but they would not credit me the cost of the original wheels since there was no way to re-inventory the part.

Here is some information about this topic Autotrader - page unavailable (<- this link works despite saying its unavailable)
PIO is Port Installed Options - items added by the manufacturer after assembly, but before shipping to the dealer. These will show on the Monroney label and you are correct, if the dealer "upgrades" something that was original from the factory you are still paying for the original part and should receive it. I know some dealers will upgrade wheels and the original ones just go away like magic.

We may be WAITING for the SC, but very few of us are so desperate to have it that we'll put up with shenanigans.
The thing is to make it perfectly clear with the dealer before the car arrives that you don't want ANYTHING added to it. Also if your dealer is putting in a request for you to get exactly what you want (like above) - make sure you specify what if any accessories you want. If the car just comes in one of the dealers regular allocations, Hyundai will usually have already added PIOs which can not be removed - the dealer can sometimes add to them, but can't remove them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks again Chuck for all your insights into how Hyundai manages things. And confirming they will not remove PIO items. I feel this is how they sneak in some extra profit since many of these accessories are cheap or popular enough that most buyers will just accept them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's always baffled me how car sales people are NOT often "car people." That's your **** livelihood!! Want to impress me and get my business? Be aware of AT LEAST your company's publicly announced upcoming models. Back in college, I used to go around to dealerships and play my own version of Stump the Chump. Just ask them questions about their own products and see if any of them knew AT LEAST as much as I did from reading car mags (this was pre-ubiquitous internet days and magazines were the primary source of 'inside' info). ONCE I was surprised by honesty - he said, "If you read the car magazines, you know more about it than I do." He failed, but got bonus points for being honest about it. LOL I liken it to a licensed electrician having no idea what the electrical code is.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
It's always baffled me how car sales people are NOT often "car people." That's your **** livelihood!! Want to impress me and get my business? Be aware of AT LEAST your company's publicly announced upcoming models. Back in college, I used to go around to dealerships and play my own version of Stump the Chump. Just ask them questions about their own products and see if any of them knew AT LEAST as much as I did from reading car mags (this was pre-ubiquitous internet days and magazines were the primary source of 'inside' info). ONCE I was surprised by honesty - he said, "If you read the car magazines, you know more about it than I do." He failed, but got bonus points for being honest about it. LOL I liken it to a licensed electrician having no idea what the electrical code is.
Personally, my car buying process is just watching every video I can find on a specific trim of the car I want, and then go straight to the dealership to talk price and sign the paperwork and be gone. It doesn't really matter if they are car people or not as long as they can get the paperwork done correctly.
Maybe I am of the minority these days? Most people still like to spend time in real life watching sales person demo the features?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's a reply to my e-mail asking about the availability of the Santa Cruz. Racine WI must be a long, long, long ways from Montgomery AL., thinking maybe I'll keep looking! The roll out of the Santa Cruz keeps looking worse and worse.

"Hi James,
We are taking orders now!! We are hoping by the end of Fall to have one here. Fingers crossed!

Lisa Smoody
Customer Care Representative
[email protected]

Racine Hyundai/Genesis "

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's a reply to my e-mail asking about the availability of the Santa Cruz. Racine WI must be a long, long, long ways from Montgomery AL., thinking maybe I'll keep looking! The roll out of the Santa Cruz keeps looking worse and worse.

"Hi James,
We are taking orders now!! We are hoping by the end of Fall to have one here. Fingers crossed!

Lisa Smoody
Customer Care Representative
[email protected]

Racine Hyundai/Genesis "
They have a Phantom Black w/black interior Limited on order; VIN #5NTJEDAF5NH000409. It definitely won't be the end of fall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They have a Phantom Black w/black interior Limited on order; VIN #5NTJEDAF5NH000409. It definitely won't be the end of fall.
Hate to ask, but do know what Ed Voyles Hyundai in Smyrna, GA is getting? They’re the dealer I’m technically assigned to and they won’t talk about the Santa Cruz at all. Any info I’ve been able to get is from other nearby dealers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hate to ask, but do know what Ed Voyles Hyundai in Smyrna, GA is getting? They’re the dealer I’m technically assigned to and they won’t talk about the Santa Cruz at all. Any info I’ve been able to get is from other nearby dealers.
They have 2 coming - no VIN yet:
SANTA CRUZ SEL FWD (without the Acitivity Package)Mojave Sand/BLACK
SANTA CRUZ LIMITED AWDHampton Gray/BLACK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since Chuck is the Hyundai Santa Cruz GOD, would he happen to know what models are coming to the Phoenix area? No one has any info except to say they will call me when they get one in Aug or Sept...I've spoken to 4 dealerships...Tempe, SanTan (closest to me), Apache Junction, Phoenix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They have 2 coming - no VIN yet:
SANTA CRUZ SEL FWD (without the Acitivity Package)Mojave Sand/BLACK
SANTA CRUZ LIMITED AWDHampton Gray/BLACK
Dang it I knew they wouldn’t bother to get my Limited AWD in Sage. You think I should put it in as a custom order? How does that work?

·
Registered
324 Posts
One look at that VIN and all I have rolling through my head is The Beach Boys ... "giddy up, giddy up, 409 ..." Sure, it's an engine displacement, not a serial number but still ...
409. The Beach Boys. (1962) - YouTube
I'll leave now. LOL

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was wondering if any are heading to Idaho?

·
Registered
37 Posts
One look at that VIN and all I have rolling through my head is The Beach Boys ... "giddy up, giddy up, 409 ..." Sure, it's an engine displacement, not a serial number but still ...
409. The Beach Boys. (1962) - YouTube
I'll leave now. LOL
Yes, my very first albums (mostly monorail) were car albums or albums with car themes - Beach Boys, Jan & Dean mostly. Think had one by the Rip Chords.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts