Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

Just thought that I would share that I worked with a company to have a custom screen protector made to cover the piano black climate controls in my center stack in order to prevent little scratches caused by constantly cleaning up fingerprints, and ultimately, help prevent fingerprints entirely.

I worked with Cameron over at Photodon, and the end result is excellent. They can probably do whatever you want -- bigger with a cutout for the reset button, different dimensions, rounded corners, etc. Photodon also
offers a variety of finishes for their product. In my case, I ordered the MXH film type. To the naked eye in-person, the screen protector is not as "obvious" as I have it shown in the pictures below. If there are any concerns, Cameron can probably also send you a sample pack of different products to test out ahead of time.

You can order a single if you like, however I ordered two, just in cased I messed up -- total cost $50 including shipping and the cleaning and installation kit. From the time of order to delivery, it took a total of five days.

The install kit includes:
- directions
- sample to practice with / preview
- gloves
- cleaner
- anti-static spray
- microfiber cloth
- silky cloth (x2 - large and small)
- felt-covered squeegee
- tape for dust particle removal

Anyway, the install is really easy, the product is very good, and the end result is excellent without interfering with the button function.

Good luck to everyone, hope this helps!

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Personal luxury car

Audio equipment Vehicle Gas Automotive design Multimedia

Wood Font Linens Bag Paper

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Number

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So this a matte like film that lets the "buttons" show thru and yet still work? No more fingerprints?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this a matte like film that lets the "buttons" show thru and yet still work? No more fingerprints?
Yep -- they offer a big variety of finishes and the version of the material that I chose is slightly matte. The fingerprint situation is definitely greatly reduced, buttons work with no issues, and the cover is only barely visible (I took the pictures with reflection to over emphasize the cover). I might have another made for the nav screen, but I'm not as worried about the nav scratching as I was/am for the piano black material.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
What's involved with removing it if you need to?

In other words, is this one of those "cling" type protectors that just lift off with no residual adhesive? Or ... ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's involved with removing it if you need to?

In other words, is this one of those "cling" type protectors that just lift off with no residual adhesive? Or ... ?
It's very much like a phone screen protector. There is adhesive on one side already, but I don't believe removing the protector will leave any residue at all.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oh, I thought it was just vinyl with printed controls in the appropriate place, which also wouldn't be that hard to do for those that wanted a carbon fiber look or something.

I think if I did a matte finish covering, I would want to do the entire area edge to edge, and wrapping underneath as I can already see some delamination at the very bottom edge. I wonder if they could just sell you a bigger sheet of the stuff without cutouts, and with a very sharp razor you could do the cutting yourself after application and then remove with tweezers?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I thought it was just vinyl with printed controls in the appropriate place, which also wouldn't be that hard to do for those that wanted a carbon fiber look or something.

I think if I did a matte finish covering, I would want to do the entire area edge to edge, and wrapping underneath as I can already see some delamination at the very bottom edge. I wonder if they could just sell you a bigger sheet of the stuff without cutouts, and with a very sharp razor you could do the cutting yourself after application and then remove with tweezers?
Yeah, I have a second piece, and I will probably cut it a little shorter at the bottom to avoid the part coming up where the curve starts. The real issue with fit is that nothing is square! So it’s hard to measure precisely, etc. in any case. I’m definitely happy to have the covering, though, it’s barely noticeable when in-person for sure, so I’m ok that I chose to cut it a little narrow.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Would paint protection film (PPF) work? Something like 3M Scotchguard Pro?
I know it would be crystal clear, self healing, and durable. Might never need to take it off. But would the touch screen still work?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
592 Posts
That screen protector looks great, @hlacoss. I got flamed on this forum earlier (when the SC first came out) for even suggesting a screen protector would be needed.

Sparkland said:
Be sure to get a screen protector for that infotainment screen or you will have scratches from just your finger tips and a cloth to wipe the dust off the piano black finish.
The infotainment screen on my 9+ year old Veloster has no scratches at all.

So unless Hyundai has changed their screen material specifications drastically in the last 9+ years, I think I'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Would paint protection film (PPF) work? Something like 3M Scotchguard Pro?
I know it would be crystal clear, self healing, and durable. Might never need to take it off. But would the touch screen still work?
I'm also wondering if you would even need to apply it with cutouts, and instead just apply it as a single piece, and then come in with a razor and cut along any seems if there is bubbling, and then with a hair dryer and a thin plastic wedge tool push the film into those areas.

I'm thinking it would make everything look more cohesive that way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is no way an amateur should have a razor blade anywhere near a touchscreen. If you don't buy the screen protector pre-cut, it will most likely always look unprofessional. I'll leave it to the machines to make accurate cut-outs.
Wait, are we talking about the touchscreen, or the piano black area, or everything?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That screen protector looks great, @hlacoss. I got flamed on this forum earlier (when the SC first came out) for even suggesting a screen protector would be needed.

The infotainment screen on my 9+ year old Veloster has no scratches at all.

So unless Hyundai has changed their screen material specifications drastically in the last 9+ years, I think I'll be just fine.
Sorry someone flamed you over that! My feeing is that the piano black will scratch easily and the screen where the temperature readouts are already look scratched! Ugh!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm also wondering if you would even need to apply it with cutouts, and instead just apply it as a single piece, and then come in with a razor and cut along any seems if there is bubbling, and then with a hair dryer and a thin plastic wedge tool push the film into those areas.

I'm thinking it would make everything look more cohesive that way.
I considered a single piece, but the edge of the display has a little channel around it. So I’m covering that completely separately with a separate piece.

This particular material is very hard — I don’t think a razor blade would cut through it in this case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I considered a single piece, but the edge of the display has a little channel around it. So I’m covering that completely separately with a separate piece.

This particular material is very hard — I don’t think a razor blade would cut through it in this case.
Hi, new to the forum and waiting on a Premium in Blue, so I would have an 8 inch upper screen but would my climate control area be the same size as in the Limited, if so I could just use your drawing to order one. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, new to the forum and waiting on a Premium in Blue, so I would have an 8 inch upper screen but would my climate control area be the same size as in the Limited, if so I could just use your drawing to order one. Thanks in advance
I think they are the same, but double check for sure — if they are the same feel free to use my drawing! I would make it at least a couple millimeters shorter on the bottom (bring the bottom up a bit). Everything else fits well, however the bottom goes down just a tad too far to allow it to wrap around the curve at the bottom of the climate control area and it pulls up just a little as a result (you can kind of see this in the picture). Otherwise, still happy with how it’s been working! Note the display also is prone to scratching — I installed a separate covering for that. I hate feeling like I had to cover that, but I was also surprised at the scratches. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

LFOTPP Climate Display Control Touch Screen Protector for 2022+ Tucson NX4 AC Panel Display Screen Protector High Clarity (Plastic AC Screen)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would PPF work?
Not sure. I don’t have any to try out but the main thing would be that it allow the capacitive touch to still work. The manufacturer of the protector I had made told me initially that he didn’t think his products would work, but I used some samples he sent me to verify that they did, indeed, work well!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts