Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retired from 40 years of pastoral ministry in The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod about ten years ago. I enjoy reading, using and polishing the biblical languages we were required to study in seminary, and tinkering in my home workshop. My wife went away for the weekend about 25 years ago and I went onto eBay to buy an arc welder. I have learned to use it acceptably well by trying things I read on the Internet.

The influence of a friend led me to buy a new 2012 Sonata we will trade soon for a new Santa Cruz SEL. We have also had a Tucson and now have a Palisade, too.

I won a second welder five years ago and occasionally need to haul a tank of shielding gas. Argon sucks the oxygen out of the air if there would ever be a leak and that is dangerous in a closed vehicle. We will enjoy the Santa Cruz for some light hauling. And, I think the Santa Cruz will be easier to get in and out of than a Sonata. Our needs have changed since we bought the Sonata and I think the Santa Cruz will match our needs better now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome, Phil75! When do you anticipate that you'll be getting your SEL? That's the model I want also, FWD or AWD would be fine. I live in WI and probably would like the AWD but I've had a FWD 2008 Sonata and only once had a problem that caused me to dig out. I'll be waiting a while though, I'm holding out until the "market adjustment" changes go away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The anticipated date is November 1. I think it is FWD. I was raised in Iowa about 35 miles WSW from where Wisconsin and Illinois come together on the east side of the Mississippi. I learned how to drive in snow, but that was also with a 3-speed manual on the column. I have driven a FWD car since 1982, and several times in snowy environments. When I still had a RWD car I fashioned short pieces of chain and wire rope I could put around each drive wheel by slipping cable ends through a slot in a wheel and tightening a clamp on the wire rope to hold the end of the chain in place. When needed it got a person out of some otherwise difficult situations. My wife likes the collision avoidance features on her Palisade and wants me to have those in the car I drive, too; so, there is an emotional component in our decision.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Not what I learned to drive in, but my first car that I bought with my own money and had my name on the title was a three on the tree too. Albeit it was in the 90s and it was already over 30 years old. LOL Man, I miss that car. It wasn't powerful, it sure wasn't fast, but it was simple to fix and fun to cruise around in! (63 Falcon Futura sedan)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts