Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working to get my Santa Cruz ready for camping. I do have a tiny trailer that I intend to pull. I purchased the SEL with AWD and no activity package. The tow hitch and 4 pin wiring harness were $699 for the OEM versions, but I am still waiting for the tow hitch to be delivered from Hyundai. I had purchased a Kamp-Rite Cot Tent and figured since there are 4 each 2x6 indents on the bed wall I wanted to see how the Cot Tent would fit. After cutting the wood and purchasing some U-bolts to hold the tent in place I am happy with the results. There is not a lot of room left over between the bed and tailgate. The entire floor of the bed is still available with just 10" of clearance. I plan to use this for those camping get aways when the weather isn't so hot here in TX. If I get out in the heat I plan to cool off using a Zero Breeze portable AC to help keep the tent cooler. Let me know what ya think...I am pretty happy as I think the Santa Cruz for me is the perfect mix of SUV/SAV and truck. Happy Trails!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
748 Posts
this looks like it should totally work, as long as you have the tent bolt on tight, plenty of payload to have people sleep in it. The roof is definitely not going to be the place to mount the tent, I think Hyundai's crossbars are rated at 160 pounds more or less for the roof.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
may I ask where you got the tailgate pad/cover that has Sant Cruz pained on?
I purchased this pad off of Amazon for $62.99. QUNSUNUS 52 Inch Pickup Truck Tailgate Pad with 6 Secure Mountain Bikes Frame Straps & 3 Mechanic Tools Storage Pockets Tailgate Cover, with Handle Access Flap (Middle & Large Pickup Truck). I purchased this specific one because it did not have a company name or graphic on it. I used a Cricut vinyl cutting machine to do the lettering. It was heat transfer vinyl that I put on there with my heat press.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
748 Posts
I purchased this pad off of Amazon for $62.99. QUNSUNUS 52 Inch Pickup Truck Tailgate Pad with 6 Secure Mountain Bikes Frame Straps & 3 Mechanic Tools Storage Pockets Tailgate Cover, with Handle Access Flap (Middle & Large Pickup Truck). I purchased this specific one because it did not have a company name or graphic on it. I used a Cricut vinyl cutting machine to do the lettering. It was heat transfer vinyl that I put on there with my heat press.
well done, sure looks OEM to me

·
Registered
2022 Ice White Limited AWD SC
38 Posts
this looks like it should totally work, as long as you have the tent bolt on tight, plenty of payload to have people sleep in it. The roof is definitely not going to be the place to mount the tent, I think Hyundai's crossbars are rated at 160 pounds more or less for the roof.
I checked on this, as I am planning to put a tent and a cargo box on the roof, and found that the 160lb rating is for dynamic weight (in movement) but static weight limit is a generous 600lbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have been working to get my Santa Cruz ready for camping. I do have a tiny trailer that I intend to pull. I purchased the SEL with AWD and no activity package. The tow hitch and 4 pin wiring harness were $699 for the OEM versions, but I am still waiting for the tow hitch to be delivered from Hyundai. I had purchased a Kamp-Rite Cot Tent and figured since there are 4 each 2x6 indents on the bed wall I wanted to see how the Cot Tent would fit. After cutting the wood and purchasing some U-bolts to hold the tent in place I am happy with the results. There is not a lot of room left over between the bed and tailgate. The entire floor of the bed is still available with just 10" of clearance. I plan to use this for those camping get aways when the weather isn't so hot here in TX. If I get out in the heat I plan to cool off using a Zero Breeze portable AC to help keep the tent cooler. Let me know what ya think...I am pretty happy as I think the Santa Cruz for me is the perfect mix of SUV/SAV and truck. Happy Trails! View attachment 2041 View attachment 2042 View attachment 2043
RUFKM

This is #GOALS

·
Registered
2022 Ice White Limited AWD SC
38 Posts
Please share your above tent roof details above please
Attached is a guide from Thule. They apparently have a partnership with Hyundai to supply them with roof and bed rack/cross bar systems ( I watched a video where a Hyundai rep was talking about it, I'll try to find it). Can also go to Thule's site and find that you can configure a rooftop tent system for the Santa Cruz. The wingbars Evo 108 have a dynamic rating of 220lbs.

"Weight capacity of tent in use with people inside the tent (static weight) can exceed the dynamic weight capacity of the rack partially supported by the ladder. The tent’s static weight capacity is stated for each tent. As a guideline 3 times the stated roof rack capacity can be used in static mode (roof rack and tent included)."

·
Registered
27 Posts
@SantaCruz'n - Agh this is exactly what I'm looking to do. Can I ask for you to share a bit more information?
  • Its not entirely clear to me what the tent is connected to. Can you explain more and/or provide additional photos (and links to what you've purchased to make it work?)
  • Is this like a traditional roof-top tent, how does it look when folded up?
  • Any photos of the bed with the tailgate down but tent on?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@SantaCruz'n - Agh this is exactly what I'm looking to do. Can I ask for you to share a bit more information?
  • Its not entirely clear to me what the tent is connected to. Can you explain more and/or provide additional photos (and links to what you've purchased to make it work?)
I cut two pieces of 2x6 board 53 3/4 inches long. Placed them in the indents in the bed. Put the tent in place on the bed and marked where I could cut holes for two u-bolts in each board to firmly hold the tent down. I positioned the tent so the frame would not touch the bed rails and placed cut up pool noodles on the four corners where the tent can be pressed down when weight is applied. I put wing nuts on the u-bolts for easy disassembly. It all folds back into the bag that came with the Kamp-Rite cot tent.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
I cut two pieces of 2x6 board 53 3/4 inches long. Placed them in the indents in the bed. Put the tent in place on the bed and marked where I could cut holes for two u-bolts in each board to firmly hold the tent down. I positioned the tent so the frame would not touch the bed rails and placed cut up pool noodles on the four corners where the tent can be pressed down when weight is applied. I put wing nuts on the u-bolts for easy disassembly. It all folds back into the bag that came with the Kamp-Rite cot tent.
I've got a CampRite Oversize Tent Cot (just a little wider) and hope to use it in that location for certain trips. They are great units that you can put in the bed lengthwise and on the ground in addition to up top on the bed rails like you have. Please post up a picture with the tailgate down from the rear of the 2X6 setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a CampRite Oversize Tent Cot (just a little wider) and hope to use it in that location for certain trips. They are great units that you can put in the bed lengthwise and on the ground in addition to up top on the bed rails like you have. Please post up a picture with the tailgate down from the rear of the 2X6 setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Picked up two redwood 2X6's yesterday. Cutting and fitting them for my Camp-Rite Tent Cot will be today's project. Might hit the Adventure Van Expo in Big Bear a couple weeks out for other adventure gear ideas. I've never attended this event before, so don't know what to expect; it's free for customers. I have my fishing gear and license that hasn't seen a days use yet this year, so might make it a 2-fer trip.

FYI: Reading the reviews for those Thule Tepui RRT's, many owners seem to think the mattress is hard and too thin for proper comfort. IMHO at the prices of those things, they need good comfortable mattresses and the ability to store your sleeping gear inside it when folded up.

Santa Cruz'n - Did you make or modify the Camp-Rite Tent Cot storage bag to fit as a cover over the folded cot while attached to the boards? After I get mine installed, I'd like to have a cover for it while in place mounted to the SC similar to traditional RTT's to protect it from the elements. Should be easy to make one from scratch or modify the OEM bag.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up two redwood 2X6's yesterday. Cutting and fitting them for my Camp-Rite Tent Cot will be today's project. Might hit the Adventure Van Expo in Big Bear a couple weeks out for other adventure gear ideas. I've never attended this event before, so don't know what to expect; it's free for customers. I have my fishing gear and license that hasn't seen a days use yet this year, so might make it a 2-fer trip.

FYI: Reading the reviews for those Thule Tepui RRT's, many owners seem to think the mattress is hard and too thin for proper comfort. IMHO at the prices of those things, they need good comfortable mattresses and the ability to store your sleeping gear inside it when folded up.

Santa Cruz'n - Did you make or modify the Camp-Rite Tent Cot storage bag to fit as a cover over the folded cot while attached to the boards? After I get mine installed, I'd like to have a cover for it while in place mounted to the SC similar to traditional RTT's to protect it from the elements. Should be easy to make one from scratch or modify the OEM bag.
I had actually thought of making a cover out of a couple tarps. If I get around to it I will be sure to share my progress. Thx!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had actually thought of making a cover out of a couple tarps. If I get around to it I will be sure to share my progress. Thx!
Cool! Looking forward to seeing your cover.

I've been working on this for the last couple days. Came up with a real nice method of securing it and everything can be hauled in place or in its' storage bag (letting you use the whole bed when traveling) and setup once you arrive or each night. Modified a couple solid rubber wheel chucks to support the outer cot extensions on top of the bed edge at the rear and using the angled bed edge close to the cab on the other side. Stops on all ends of the cross boards center the cot legs side to side and front to back. It's all held in place with tie downs on each side running front to back going over the leg cross tubes using the bed tie down points to hold it all in place. Battling rain on and off the last two days...

Here's my Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts