Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is silly but “Sport Activity Vehicle” is too ponderous…nobody knows what “SAV” means…but is it a truck? What are you calling your SC in casual conversation? I certainly never really considered the Subaru Baja a truck…but it was based on something more like a station wagon. The Ridgeline? I guess I never thought about categorizing it that much. Ironically there doesn’t seem to be the same issue with calling the Maverick a truck. Perhaps because is looks like a toddlers crayon drawing of one from a design perspective.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
I call my SEL AWD a Retirement Anything Vehicle or RAV4 of a different kind. :LOL:

Grandma/Grandpa Gardening Vehicle (GGV) was coined by one of the early YouTube reviewers.

There's more out there...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, if the manufacturer is adamant about not calling the SC a truck then 🤷‍♂️.
Ford, a major truck manufacturer has not once denied the Maverick is a truck. It also looks more traditionally truck-ish, which doesn't necessarily equate with more style, as the SC is much more attractive imo.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
281 Posts
Frankly, I don't care what Hyundai calls it, it's a truck and that's how I refer to it.

Oh, and btw, it's "Sport Adventure Vehicle" according to Hyundai.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think Hyundai was hoping to head off the inevitable screams of "It's not a truck!" from the brodozer crowd -- not that it did any good.

I plan to call mine both 'truck' and 'car,' depending on whatever pops out of my mouth on any given day.

·
Registered
Limited
214 Posts
Ya, I think Hyundai knows the truck markets in the USA is a tough one. The big 3 hold strong there. Toyota's efforts in the truck segment haven't well accepted. So knowing the Mavrick was coming, I'm sure they wanted as little comparison as possible.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Trucklet works for me. Its does truck stuff... just on a smaller scale.

And yes Hyundai is avoiding the truck label because that sets the wrong expectations. However they own internal sales training documents have it compared directly to several trucks: Competitive Advantages

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Trucklet reminds me of the term pencil neck geek; it seems demeaning. I can see the Bro-Dozer crowd making fun of that term. SAV works for me.

Now the Ford Maverick fits the Turcklet term well! :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is silly but “Sport Activity Vehicle” is too ponderous…nobody knows what “SAV” means…but is it a truck? What are you calling your SC in casual conversation? I certainly never really considered the Subaru Baja a truck…but it was based on something more like a station wagon. The Ridgeline? I guess I never thought about categorizing it that much. Ironically there doesn’t seem to be the same issue with calling the Maverick a truck. Perhaps because is looks like a toddlers crayon drawing of one from a design perspective.
SAV came from the marketing department. It is a truck. I drove the first Tacoma for 20 years. A little truck. SC is the latest little truck.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz limited
14 Posts
The more people that keep telling me “I like your truck” the more of a truck it is becoming to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The more people that keep telling me “I like your truck” the more of a truck it is becoming to me.
Exactly what I was going to say. I've been calling it Truck-ish. but as more people tell me that they like my truck... i'm starting to think it may be a truck.

It does what I wanted it for... so the label doesn't really matter overall.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, it's a truck! I used mine to do truck stuff today. Even got scuff marks in the bedliner (and my wife was REALLY upset about that!) 🤣

The adjustable tie-downs came in handy for using the ratchet straps.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Two tie-downs fully secured the load.
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Ready to roll!
Tire Wheel Cloud Car Vehicle

Scuffed up the tailgate.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Rectangle Road surface

And the bed. Truck work!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rectangle Bumper

1 - 20 of 48 Posts