Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
The N/A is fine. People will say 'It can keep up with traffic' as if that's an accomplishment it struggles to pull off. It does not struggle in normal daily driving; I rarely ever get more than 1/4 of the way into my throttle pedal. If anyone finds the N/A marginal for daily driving, I suggest they need to examine their driving habits and maybe chill out a bit.

I haven't towed anything with it so I can't comment on that, but I really like the 27mpg city / 31mpg highway I'm getting on regular-grade gas.

A factor for me was how much confidence do I actually have in Hyundai engineering? Do you trust a Hyundai direct-injection turbo engine and dual-clutch transmission? I'm not there yet personally. I think their designs are refreshing and they're really trying, but old stigmas die hard.

Oh also, the gauge cluster and center stack in the N/A model is just flat-out superior IMO. And wireless Android Auto. That's ones not even a matter of opinion, the N/A just has an objectively better Android Auto implementation.
Id trust an American built engine over just about any other, Santa Cruz has gotta be one of the most American made vehicles on the road. And I get into the 30s with the turbo on the highway.

·
Registered
‘22 Santa Cruz SEL Ice White
58 Posts
Probably beating a dead horse on this post here but I also have a N/A SEL and have no problem with the power. I’m a gear head so have also had quite a few muscle cars through the years. For me it was a combination of staying within budget and having something with a small bed and good gas mileage to make Home Depot runs. I’m also getting older at 57 so my foot has become lighter. Sure the turbo would’ve been fun occasionally but wasn’t with another 7 grand to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't personally think that anybody identifying as 57 can claim to be OLD, so the issue is certainly not age. But the choice comes down to the following, AFAIK:
1. What are you used to?
2. What do you have to spend?
3. What kind of transmission do you like?

For me:
I can't have too much power.
I have the money for the TOL.
I have been driving manual transmissions since I got my license in the 60's, so the DCT is the closest that I can get to that in many cars or trucks these days. And I ALWAYS shift the DCT manually.

But, your mileage may vary. (that's a saying. not that it will if you shift manually, but if you want to ...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am searching now for a SC to bring home. This has been one of the most informative threads I have followed. We currently have a 2015 Outback with 190hp. I never felt the need for more power driving the Outback. I just sold my Mercedes SLK 230 Compressor. (Great Little Car) My "toy" is a Mercedes 550 SL with a twin turbo V-12. (two seater) @ 621 HP. She mainly stays in the garage waiting dry days ! I live in Florida - what are hills ? :) - based on people's comments, I feel the base engine will suit my needs fine. I'll post pictures after I find my SC ! This is a great forum !

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I just test drove a Limited turbo Santa Cruz, and I loved it. I’m currently a Mustang owner, and looking to get something more practical. That said, I cannot afford to step up to the turbo in the Cruz line, but I think the Cruz is still a better option for me than the Maverick turbo, or Nissan Frontier. They’re more powerful, though. My question is, has the SE/SEL naturally aspirated 2.5 been enough for the people who have it? I know it can tow up to 3500 pounds, but is it able to do that without becoming a snail?
I’ve had my Santa Cruz for 11 months now, the 2.5 turbo hauls a—! Now about the towing, I haven’t towed anything but have researched the capabilities of the truck. I think the issue is the brakes may not be enough if you are towing capacity recommend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as the brakes go, they are big enough that 17" wheels are only a maybe situation. (12.9", which is pretty close to the 14" Brembo's that are on the Jaguar XKR100 sitting my garage) And our trailer has its own brakes operated by our controller added to the SC. (see one of the towing threads here for more) My 1955 Chevy pickup has 12" front disks added that worked just fine with the trailer. (~4000 lb fully loaded) And those even worked when I would forget to hook up the brake controller. (Ouch?)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Myself nor the other person I know with an NA Cruz would buy another NA Cruz. Its pretty weak and the mileage is not good. Even the Turbo is not a sports car by any 2022 standard. Up through WV and PA we definitely had to keep it pinned or fall back from the other vehicles in the party. And we get low to mid 20s at best so the Turbo gives up nothing to the Na but a bit of cash at the start and some theoretical reliability. Of your wanting reliable go with a Toyota anyway. Id highly recommend the Cruz but id say go with the Turbo.

People tend to say "its faster than my flathead V8"....but it's 2022. Its one of the slowest cars made today. For the power it should get better mileage than low 20s. One or the other. I can think of no other engine that gets the worst of both worlds. Nor can I think of any base engine that gives up 100HP to the next option and doesn't get better mileage. A base 4 cylinder mustang gets over 30mpg and has over 300 HP and a 5 second 0-60 (the NA Cruz is around 9.). Todays base mustang is faster than a GT from 2010. Actually base 22 is only half a second off the GT500 from 2010 and gets double the MPG.... thats how far every other car company has came since 2010..... Don't compare a tech laden 2022 to a pushrod small block. It should do better than it does.

And if your towing anywhere near capacity you should probably have trailer brakes so the Cruz brakes should be fine. I've heard no complaints about the brakes. In many states, it would be required. Why Hyundai didn't include trailer brakes after stating how great the vehicle was for towing is beyond me.

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Id trust an American built engine over just about any other, Santa Cruz has gotta be one of the most American made vehicles on the road.
The Santa Cruz ranks #43 on the 2022 Cars.com American-Made Index.

Above it are the Ridgeline at #8, Canyon at #12, Colorado at #13, Ranger at #17, F-150 at #21, Tundra at #23, and Gladiator at #40.

The Elantra, which is built in the same Montgomery, Alabama plant as the Santa Cruz, ranked as the least American-made vehicle of the 95 models they evaluated.

According to Consumer Reports reliability surveys, 8 of the top 9 most reliable brands are Japanese. The bottom of the list is swimming with American and German brands. Hyundai and Kia fall in between the extremes.

·
Registered
‘22 Santa Cruz SEL Ice White
58 Posts

Above it are the Ridgeline at #8, the Canyon at #12, the Colorado at #13, Ranger at #17, F-150 at #21, Tundra at #23, and Gladiator at #40.

The Elantra, which is built in the same Montgomery, Alabama plant as the Santa Cruz, ranked as the least American-made vehicle of the 95 models they evaluated.

According to Consumer Reports reliability surveys, 8 of the top 9 most reliable brands are Japanese. The bottom of the list is swimming with American and German brands. Hyundai and Kia fall in between the extremes.
Not sure how they are able to determine an accurate reliability rating for a model that has only been out barely a full year. Time will tell. Either way it’s good to have the 100K mile warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Above it are the Ridgeline at #8, the Canyon at #12, the Colorado at #13, Ranger at #17, F-150 at #21, Tundra at #23, and Gladiator at #40.

Its always the same. The more tech, the worse you do. Lincoln/Ford loaded up with features for 2021. They will be low for a few years. Gm did the same for the 1500 this year. It will tank as well. A lot of it could be remedied by reading the manual (Ford doesn't ship an actual manual. It's all videos in the infotainment screen.)

Japanese cars are the least tech and least advanced. Toyota is especially slow to move on. Honda and Subaru hang on to old tech as well. Great strategy. Subaru ran the EJ engine for 20 years. Toyota ran the 2GR for near that. Nissan and subaru tried moving on with cvt....see how that went.

The usual offenders didn't get ranked. Jaguar dodge range rover etc etc. Lol. That leaves more room at the bottom. Several years most of the bottom 10 were all fiat/Chrysler owned companies.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not sure how they are able to determine an accurate reliability rating for a model that has only been out barely a full year. Time will tell. Either way it’s good to have the 100K mile warranty.
That warranty is powertrain and drops to 5 years for a second owner.

Most of the surveys are based entirely on "complaints per 100 units". My motor blew a piston out the side of the block" is 1 complaint per 100. "My wireless Android auto dropped mid call" is also 1 complaint per 100. So most of the complaints are actually nit picking the tech packages which aren't covered under powertrain warranty. Whether the complaint left you walking to work or caused you to drop a phone call isn't weighed

Those surveys are to be taken lightly at best. Kia/Hyundai have the most recalled engine in history but during that time were ranked high for reliability. Same for the cylinder deactivating GM trucks. They were terribly unreliable yet ranked high. Same for Subaru/Nissan cvt. Both recalled and litigated. Yet during the survey period they were ranked high.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,115 Posts
As I've said before, It's enough depending what your using for.. If it's a daily driver that does some Home Depot type runs..YES, If your towing lighter trailers or in town towing..YES, if your looking for a truck to take you camping "YES" If your want to race around town, flooring light to light than NO...If your towing over mountains...Probably Not..
If you want to drive it like a normal person, trying to get decent MPG than "YES" it will treat you good... It's snappy..and sporty fun truck to drive, It won't win you a bunch of races but than is that why we buy a vehicle like the SC and Maverick?? the answer is no...We buy it because we want decent MPG and something that can haul small loads when needed.
And keeps the brother-inlaw from asking to burrow the SC to move with :)

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,116 Posts
talking of speed, If you have the vented seats, and they are on? and you let your wind go free? it is so fast it hits your nose before its left your cheek cleavage, be warned- if one is brewing turn the seats to reverse thrust

21 - 35 of 35 Posts