Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car and Driver has posts on Facebook about the appearance of the Santa Cruz on the market. Without fail a bunch of people chime in with a lot of negativity about “not a real truck” or “a Ridgeline wannabe” or “Subaru already did that with the Brat.” When Car and Driver posts a similar article about the Ford Maverick there is none of that negativity. Does the Santa Cruz somehow threaten people with F-150s or RAMs or big Chevy pickups?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Since my daughter (18) drives the SC most. Early on, I warned her about, potentially getting so hostile feed back or so coal rolling from the “big truck” boys… She hasn’t experienced any… it’s mostly been positive.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ultimate Twilight Black
34 Posts
I'm used to driving odd cars, I was an original Nissan Cube owner, and would get looks and rubbernecking all the time. One day a guy was walking and paused too look at the cube in a parking lot (I was waiting inside the car), and I guess the car parked next didnt notice him and proceeded to back up and hit the guy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Maverick - looks like a truck, made by Ford the company that has the Ranger, the F150 (best selling vehicle in the US for 40 years!!!) and the Raptor. Plus Explorer, Bronco and other "tough" vehicles.

Santa Cruz - looks different, made by a Korean company that was known for cheap economy cars for years, mostly builds valued oriented vehicles for soccer moms.

Thus the Mav was predetermined to be a home run while the SC will always been seen as a joke despite both vehicles being nearly identical spec wise (at least in non-hybrid trim). I firmly believe most people make an immediate call on the Mav being a "real truck" based on looks alone. They can't seem to get past the visual, if it looks like a truck then it IS a truck! Honda suffered the same problem with the Ridgeline which is why the second generation has a more traditional look, going so far as to putting in the fake cut line between the cab and bed to mimic an old BOF truck.

Personally I could careless what others think - I make the payments so I am buying what I like, if people point and laugh so be it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm used to driving odd cars, I was an original Nissan Cube owner, and would get looks and rubbernecking all the time. One day a guy was walking and paused too look at the cube in a parking lot (I was waiting inside the car), and I guess the car parked next didnt notice him and proceeded to back up and hit the guy.
I don’t know why, but I laughed out loud in my office just now… 😂

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must say I was at Home Depot. A man who owns a Ridgeline was parked nearby. He came over with his kids and enthusiastically asked me friendly questions about the Santa Cruz. We had a very nice discussion. My son-in-law’s father builds custom wide body 1967 Corvettes under a license from General Motors, and drives a new GMC pickup he lowered in the front end. He loved the styling of the Santa Cruz from the first moment he saw mine. He has nothing but good to say about it. I think the people who must be critical have some interpersonal problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Santa Cruz - looks different, made by a Korean company that was known for cheap economy cars for years, mostly builds valued oriented vehicles for soccer moms.
Someone told me about a friend of his who worked for General Motors. The GM person had the opportunity to look at a Hyundai close up. I do not know if it was a Sonata or something else. His comment was, “If Hyundai ever learns to market in the US, they will eat our lunch.”

·
Registered
45 Posts
Categories of car owners:
1. Car guys (the mechanically inclined and hobbyists who appreciate any nice car)
2. Fan Boys (see above but who rationalizes his particular brand of vehicle by trashing others)
3. Non-Car Guys (those who just want to get from point "A" to point "B", believe cars are a necessary evil, are in extreme fear of accidentally pulling the hood release handle and being forced to gaze upon the frightening machinery (think Prius owner) and thought they accomplished something monumental in life when they figured out how to pump their own gas.)
4. Status Owners (those who buy a vehicle based solely upon the thought that they will impress others)
5. The Jealous (those who made poor choices in life and hate seeing someone who made better ones. You'll most often find these folks at the Quicky Mart getting their 12 pack liquid dinner, cigs, lottery tickets and discussing their tats with other liquid dinner purchasers)
I just take whatever comments I get, categorize them for entertainment purposes and move on. I actually gave up on caring what other people think right around 1995.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Personally I could careless what others think - I make the payments so I am buying what I like, if people point and laugh so be it.
BINGO! I couldn't have said it any better.

Reactions: jeffbot

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Categories of car owners:
Nailed it! However you missed one, its a new breed...

6. The Flipper / Wanna be YouTube star - buys whatever is in style this week in effort to cash in on its popularity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's because people think of the Mav as being an American product with traditional styling to match its larger siblings while assuming that the SC is some funky newcomer from a foreign company with no experience building trucks. They conveniently ignore the following facts:
  • Hyundai has been producing heavy trucks and commercial vehicles for over half a century
  • Hyundai sells more vehicles around the world than Ford
  • The Santa Cruz is built in Montgomery, Alabama
  • The Maverick is built in Hermosillo, Mexico

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's because people think of the Mav as being an American product with traditional styling to match its larger siblings while assuming that the SC is some funky newcomer from a foreign company with no experience building trucks. They conveniently ignore the following facts:
  • Hyundai has been producing heavy trucks and commercial vehicles for over half a century
All true and I'll make a prediction on the Maverick right now. I think the Maverick's popularity will burn out fast while the SC attains and maintains a unique niche with stable sales for as long as they run it. As I said in another thread, Ford's quality has dropped and the Ranger which is above the Maverick, was made cheap with corners cut in my opinion. So while the Mav looks good out of the box, I'm betting the quality and sustainability is just not there and buyers will figure that out after a short time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In group/out group thing. Same reason apple fans will get angry about a positive Android article and vice versa. Ps/xbox, etc. People want to shout down a different thing that is very similar to the thing they bought because it makes them feel like the thing they bought is better.

In fact, when chevy or dodge or whoever cone out with their version, were all going to go yeah, but the santa cruz has xyz that is better, or their just copying etc. Including me. It will stop me from having to possibly regret buying my truck that I like if one comes out that is better in some way.

·
Registered
784 Posts
All true and I'll make a prediction on the Maverick right now. I think the Maverick's popularity will burn out fast while the SC attains and maintains a unique niche with stable sales for as long as they run it. As I said in another thread, Ford's quality has dropped and the Ranger which is above the Maverick, was made cheap with corners cut in my opinion. So while the Mav looks good out of the box, I'm betting the quality and sustainability is just not there and buyers will figure that out after a short time.
Maverick, will remain popular, I don’t believe it will burn out. Maverick is now, Fords entry level vehicle. The cheapest (price wise) and Ford has enough fan base, especially for their trucks. It certainly will eat into Rangers sales volume. Maverick, With its cheap base price and hybrid EPA fuel rating, unless, it’s a complete Pinto, it will do well.
The SC will always be a low volume vehicle for Hyundai, if they get close to Ridgeline sales numbers, Hyundai executives would be delighted.
I wish both great success and hopefully other manufacturers are taking notes and add their own compact truck to the mix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Cube was probably my all time favorite car I've owned. The styling in and out was so quirky and it had great features on the high trim. Plus it was like the Harry Potter tent where it was tiny on the outside and big on the inside. I picked one up with low miles a few years ago as a winter beater and it's one of the few cars I miss owning.

I love the idea of the Santa Cruz because:

1) It looks unique. Why make something that isn't a truck look like a truck (Maverick and current gen Ridgeline).
2) I don't need a back seat or a cargo area 95% of the time so sedans and SUVs are pointless.
3) It is Hyundai (quality, features, styling, value).
4) I don't need a "real" truck and don't want to daily drive one again.

#3 might be the biggest sticky point for people as there are so many haters of the Korean brands. A few years ago when I texted my wife a picture of a Stinger I wanted to buy all I got in response was "Kias are crap." A few months later she owned an Optima after seeing one in the showroom. She still thinks the Optima was better than the Maserati (it was) and Porsche (it mostly wasn't) she owned subsequently.

It's just such an uphill battle for Korean brands.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
371 Posts
2021 was my due year for a change - the choice was narrowed down to a new Tuscon, (as the Santa Fe was growing, and was wasted on me) or maybe a crosstrek/impreza, March was to be my research and test drive period, with a 75% chance I'd go Hybrid - and then Hyundai announced that crazy prototype I had drooled over for the past 4 or 5 years was going to released, in 2021 - case closed, search over. Maverick was never on my radar nor the Ridgeline. The SC satisfies my SUV needs, with a tad more utility.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had no idea Hyundai was bigger than Ford. Do you have a reference?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts