Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
394 Posts
I don't believe he stated 'Bigger than' he noted sells more vehicles around the world than, First search (using sales as the description)

This is a list of largest manufacturers by production in 2017.[18]

RankGroupCountryVehicles
1ToyotaJapan10,466,051
2Volkswagen GroupGermany10,382,334
3Hyundai / KiaSouth Korea7,218,391
4General Motors
(with SAIC-GM-Wuling)[d]
United States
(China)
(9,027,658)
5FordUnited States6,386,818
6NissanJapan5,769,277
7HondaJapan5,235,842
8FCAItaly / United States4,600,847
9RenaultFrance4,153,589
10Groupe PSAFrance3,649,742

·
Registered
42 Posts
There was a news story on our Knoxville (eastern Tennessee) TV stations about a new plant to be built in western Tennessee for producing Ford Mavericks.
Are you talking about Blue Oval City or is this something else?

·
Administrator
144 Posts
...going so far as to putting in the fake cut line between the cab and bed to mimic an old BOF truck.
That's actually necessary because it's where the bolt-on rear fender meets the cab which makes it much easier and cheaper to manufacture and replace compared to the 1G Ridgeline, Santa Cruz, and Maverick. If you need to replace a rear fender on a 2G Ridgeline. there's no need to "section" (cut, weld, and fill).

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Maverick and Ridgeline get just as many knocks as the Santa Cruz by truck boys. The truck boys think anything not built on a frame and able to rock crawl isn't a real truck. I never feel intimidated by a big truck like when they get about 12 inches off my rear bumper at a stop light. They do that I just go slow as a turtle when the light turns green. I notice the new pickup fad is to drive around with all lights & auxiliary lights on, even in the well lit cities. Sometimes I get 1/2 blinded by the fools when they are coming towards me. It's as dumb as the people that drive with just thier fog lights on and no headlights "cuz it looks cool yo!". Sorry guys, women aren't going to be impressed and turned on and chase you down to get your phone number because of your light show. Lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Maverick and Ridgeline get just as many knocks as the Santa Cruz by truck boys. The truck boys think anything not built on a frame and able to rock crawl isn't a real truck. I never feel intimidated by a big truck like when they get about 12 inches off my rear bumper at a stop light. They do that I just go slow as a turtle when the light turns green. I notice the new pickup fad is to drive around with all lights & auxiliary lights on, even in the well lit cities. Sometimes I get 1/2 blinded by the fools when they are coming towards me. It's as dumb as the people that drive with just thier fog lights on and no headlights "cuz it looks cool yo!". Sorry guys, women aren't going to be impressed and turned on and chase you down to get your phone number because of your light show. Lol.
This reminds me of my wife. She told me trucks get hurt when she passes them and "race" her all the time because she drives a pink-wrapped SUV. I thought she was crazy. Followed her home one day and to my surprise witnessed it more than once. Also started driving her car and it happened to me. Super super odd. Funny thing is it's a Macan Turbo so what are they trying to prove? Just so strange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Testosterone is a **** of drug. I'd be going "look a porche, a pink porche?" Super duty fords, lifted dodges and HD chevs seem to love riding my tail and blinding me at night until the first turn. A quick physics lesson ensues. Small car, lightweight, summer tires.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
As @GTAcruz said - the Mav is the cheapest most fuel efficient vehicle you can buy today. Plus it comes in a cool truck shape, thus it will sell very well now and for the foreseeable future.

Pickups, especially the F150, have been the top selling vehicles in the US for decades. The full size truck has basically replaced the full size sedan, aka land yacht that grandpa used to drive. I have many co-workers that drive full size trucks and when I asked why they commute is such obviously huge and wasteful vehicles they all pretty much say the same thing: its roomy and comfortable. That bigger and taller then everyone stance gives owners a feeling of safety. Plus the power and utility means such trucks can handle anything despite the fact that thier owners rarely haul or tow. There was a point in time long ago when a truck was nothing more then a cheap work vehicle, but in recent times the pickup has become the preferred luxury vehicle of your average Joe.

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
283 Posts
IMHO: "Bro Dozer" types are never going to accept a unibody "truck"; and I am perfectly fine with that. I love having a vehicle that drives like a car, but can haul the few things I would need a truck for. I have no need or desire for a lifted truck that I can't park in my garage, is a hassle in parking lots, and takes literally a weekend to clean.

That, and I don't need to "compensate". 🤣

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car and Driver has posts on Facebook about the appearance of the Santa Cruz on the market. Without fail a bunch of people chime in with a lot of negativity about “not a real truck” or “a Ridgeline wannabe” or “Subaru already did that with the Brat.” When Car and Driver posts a similar article about the Ford Maverick there is none of that negativity. Does the Santa Cruz somehow threaten people with F-150s or RAMs or big Chevy pickups?
My thoughts - who cares!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car and Driver has posts on Facebook about the appearance of the Santa Cruz on the market. Without fail a bunch of people chime in with a lot of negativity about “not a real truck” or “a Ridgeline wannabe” or “Subaru already ma did that with the Brat.” When Car and Driver posts a similar article about the Ford Maverick there is none of that negativity. Does the Santa Cruz somehow threaten people with F-150s or RAMs or big Chevy pickups?
i have my SC Limited now for about 5k miles in three months. Super happy with it (except gas mileage, but that is a different story). My observations have been positive with big dog truck guys. I live in a rural county where trucks are super common, so I was prepared for some sissy talk. But not the case I have had truck people come to me, looking at the Cruz and asking me what it was. They look at it like dog lovers look at puppies. Especially when I’m towing a large trailer (remember the 5k tow rating) that look bigger than the Cruz. So among all these giant trucks hauling air, I feel like I’m driving a cute puppy. And who doesn’t love puppies? My daughter is a progressive 17 year old teenager, and she hates trucks (because she associates it with waste ) - but she Ioves the Santa Cruz. There you have it - the common denominator for big truck guys and progressive teenagers - a Hyundai Santa Cruz puppy truck.

And now on a related topic - performance. I 100% agree with TFL that this is THE performance truck. Man, that thing goes! Put it in sport and floor it at a green signal, and you leave Porsche’s in the dust, let alone those giant trucks. You should see the looks on the faces of guys in their lifted GMC or Ford F-250 super duty’s when they are being left behind by a performance truck/puppy. Maybe that’s why my gas mileage is not great? Whatever! The turbo coupled with the dual clutch is just phenomenal, so I’m looking at the Santa Cruz as a sports car with utility, and for a sports car, the mileage is good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car and Driver has posts on Facebook about the appearance of the Santa Cruz on the market. Without fail a bunch of people chime in with a lot of negativity about “not a real truck” or “a Ridgeline wannabe” or “Subaru already did that with the Brat.” When Car and Driver posts a similar article about the Ford Maverick there is none of that negativity. Does the Santa Cruz somehow threaten people with F-150s or RAMs or big Chevy pickups?
[/ maybe because Hyundai says it’s not a truck

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,282 Posts
In four months and change with it, I've heard exactly one comment about the "sissy truck" from a lifetime F250 driver (who, to be fair, uses it for towing/hauling/work that the SC would not be in any way good for) - and then his wife let it slip that he's been wanting to check one out for months. LOL

It still turns heads, we still get stopped by people asking about it (less so in the winter because it's cold and nobody wants to stand outside to chat, especially me), and it still makes me stop and stare at it at least once a day ... unless it's a day like today where I don't venture outdoors at all. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts

i have owned a raptor/ f150 Harley. I just traded in my 2022 rst Silverado for the Santa Cruz. I work in a field dominated by red necks and good old boys. Let me tell you they all give me ****, but at the end of the day it doesn’t bother me at all. When I drove a big truck I never used the bed at all, so why pay more money for something totally impractical. I Like my truck a lot. The biggest kicker, they all buy American made, yet all their trucks are made in Mexico, while mine was made by Forest Gump himself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not to generalize (but here goes), but I think the clientele of car and driver is a bunch of gear heads rooted in the American ideology that if it’s not Chevy, Ford, or Ram, it is anti American. Just a hunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Phantom Black Limited
127 Posts
Not to generalize (but here goes), but I think the clientele of car and driver is a bunch of gear heads rooted in the American ideology that if it’s not Chevy, Ford, or Ram, it is anti American. Just a hunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I remember being 16 with my first car (a suzuki) having died on the side of the rode and some older truck guy drove by and shouted "get a real car!" .. I could only stop to think "I'm 16 and I paid like $1,500 for this thing.. Not like I have a lot of say in the matter" lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've gotten nothing but positive reactions on my SC. I think what intrigues most is the design of the front end. That seems to be where I find most people standing and looking when I approach mine. They all want to know "what is this?!!". I get the thumbs up from people coming out of a store if I'm in it stopped....One couple was standing in front of my SC when my hubby came out of a store. They had a zillion questions and he offered to show them the interior. They had just purchased a brand new Tucson. The wife ended up slapping the hubby saying, "We should have gotten THIS!"....lol I love the reactions I get!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts