Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hear that modern cars go through numerous rust preventative systems that will protect the body from corrosion. I'm old school so I'm just wondering what you think.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We hear that modern cars go through numerous rust preventative systems that will protect the body from corrosion. I'm old school so I'm just wondering what you think.
We’ll worth the investment, especially when you’re in an area, where they salt the roads… I’m debating between Krown or Rust Check… both are oil based and done annually. I’d stay away from tar based or the electronic rust proofing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We’ll worth the investment, especially when you’re in an area, where they salt the roads… I’m debating between Krown or Rust Check… both are oil based and done annually. I’d stay away from tar based or the electronic rust proofing.
Totally agree but I asked when I purchased mine and was told the warranty will be void as they drill into the body

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Totally agree but I asked when I purchased mine and was told the warranty will be void as they drill into the body
Unfortunately, some dealers will use this scare tactic. They will offer the same rust proofing by Krown (my dealer) and charge 3times the rate. Ask them to put that in writing, as I did once years ago and they never did. They typically will push for their own rust proofing system.
no way it would void an factory warrant. Mind you, manufacturer’s corrosion warranties have so many exception, it’s pretty much useless. if they can, it would only impact the corrosion portion and your would still have the third party warrant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unfortunately, some dealers will use this scare tactic. They will offer the same rust proofing by Krown (my dealer) and charge 3times the rate. Ask them to put that in writing, as I did once years ago and they never did. They typically will push for their own rust proofing system.
no way it would void an factory warrant. Mind you, manufacturer’s corrosion warranties have so many exception, it’s pretty much useless. if they can, it would only impact the corrosion portion and your would still have the third party warrant.
Thanks for the feed back. What dealer did you use

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got my SC at Newmarket Hyundai… still researching where to get my rust proofing done…where do you order yours from?
I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe in Newmarket. I moved and the closet dealer was Orangeville Hyundai which I had a great experience with until all the extras they and sell I just said let me think about it . The rustproofing they were pushing was one more those electronic boxes they hook up to the vehicle. I always used known rust

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe in Newmarket. I moved and the closet dealer was Orangeville Hyundai which I had a great experience with until all the extras they and sell I just said let me think about it . The rustproofing they were pushing was one more those electronic boxes they hook up to the vehicle. I always used known rust
I’m not sold on the electronic rust proofing, I hear it’s great on boats but not worth the investment, when it’s not sitting on water. I haven’t really found any articles that were positive. At least I know, Krown and Rust Check have worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate, Sage Grey, Dark Green two-tone leather
231 Posts
I get all vehicles rust proofed at Krown. Not only does it protect the body it keeps corrosion out of electrical connections and lubricates other components. A well trained Krown dealer knows what to and not to spray. I have had my vehicles done at Krown in Whitby for over 20 years. Paul knows what he is doing and keeps up to date on new vehicles. Will be getting the SC done as soon as it arrives

·
Registered
8 Posts
To drill or not to drill?

I have always used Krown on my vehicles had great results. I will continue to use them, however I am wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with the application when not drilling holes?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think it's needed anymore and I think rust is warranted for 7 years anyway. When I had a Kia, there was a recall for a possibility of rust and the fix was for the dealer to inspect the undercarriage for rust and apply some rust protection. Does the owner's manual recommend it?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
To drill or not to drill?

I have always used Krown on my vehicles had great results. I will continue to use them, however I am wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with the application when not drilling holes?
I’ve used Krown also. Always had the small holes drilled, it‘s an annual process, so you can see if there are any damages and Krown warranties it for life of the car(I think)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't think it's needed anymore and I think rust is warranted for 7 years anyway. When I had a Kia, there was a recall for a possibility of rust and the fix was for the dealer to inspect the undercarriage for rust and apply some rust protection. Does the owner's manual recommend it?
It’s silent in the owners manual and Canadian perforation warrant is 60months (unlimited KMs)
Not really an issue if one plans on owning for a short term, wise for a long term investment.
They use a lot of salt here and it gets into every corner of the car. Although, they don’t useroad salt in extremely cold parts of Canada, like Edmonton etc… as salt will not melt below -18C (0F)
Also, there are plenty of conditions and exemptions in the warranty, one would spend a lot of time and energy trying to convince manufacturers to honour their warranties.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It’s silent in the owners manual and Canadian perforation warrant is 60months (unlimited KMs)
Not really an issue if one plans on owning for a short term, wise for a long term investment.
They use a lot of salt here and it gets into every corner of the car. Although, they don’t useroad salt in extremely cold parts of Canada, like Edmonton etc… as salt will not melt below -18C (0F)
Also, there are plenty of conditions and exemptions in the warranty, one would spend a lot of time and energy trying to convince manufacturers to honour their warranties.
It's made with galvanized steel. It comes protected from the factory. Far better protection than spray on applications because the protection is bonded to the metal. All aftermarket rust protection is going to do is temporarily protect the permanent factory rust protection from rusting.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's made with galvanized steel. It comes protected from the factory. Far better protection than spray on applications because the protection is bonded to the metal. All aftermarket rust protection is going to do is temporarily protect the permanent factory rust protection from rusting.
Yes, the body panels are mostly zinc dipped as sheets before being stamped which becomes an issue. On top of that paint is the first layer of protection. Rust proofing helps protects the undercarriage. If you’re going for a short term (4-5) years, it may not be worth it. Long term ownership in a corrosive/salty environment it’s well worth considering it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, the body panels are mostly zinc dipped as sheets before being stamped which becomes an issue. On top of that paint is the first layer of protection. Rust proofing helps protects the undercarriage. If you’re going for a short term (4-5) years, it’s. To worth it. Long term ownership in a corrosive/salty environment it’s well worth considering it.
The entire metal body and frame is dipped after it's put together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts