Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with 2 dealers. Looking to buy a 16-22 ft camper/trailer, somewhere in the 3500 lb range. These trailers have brakes that require a 7-pin harness, and Hyundai apparently does not make a 7-pin for the SC. I talked to one RV center that "thought" they might be able to hook one up (I'll know tomorrow), but that throws anything connected to wiring out of warranty. I purchased this trucklet in no small part because they touted 5000 lb tow rating. Did I just buy a truck that will tow 5,000 lbs but won't stop it (under warranty)? Am I missing something? Please tell me I'm wrong.

·
Registered
401 Posts
have a thread for this

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Yes, the Kia Telluride 7-pin harness works fine. I just had my dealer install the Hyundai OEM hitch along with the Kia harness last week. It's all good. Everything is covered under warranty.

Kia part number is: S9F67-AC500.
Curious if your Hyundai dealer completed the entire job or just put the Kia plug & play 7-way and hitch on.

Did they wire up a trailer brake controller under the dash too?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Curious if your Hyundai dealer completed the entire job or just put the Kia plug & play 7-way and hitch on.

As far as I know, they did the complete job. I was sure to let them know that I didn't want any shortcuts taken, like just using a 4 to 7 pin adapter, etc. Immediately before installation, I asked what the part number was for the wiring harness and they had the correct Kia Telluride part.

And they were quite good about correcting the bill once the job was finished. I'd been quoted $692 for everything installed. When I went to pick up the SC, the bill given to me was $983. 😠

But, I let the cashier know the quoted amount and she went to the service guy, who called his boss and they dropped the total price to $675. 😁

I didn't ask for a brake controller to be installed. I'm going a different route on that part.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Premium Black
11 Posts
I just installed the Hyundai factory hitch I purchased from my local dealer and the Kia Telluride 7-pin harness last night. I purchased the harness online by recommendation of the SC towing thread on this forum. The hardest part was torquing the three bolts above the muffler as there is little clearance in all directions around those 3. I recommend removing 3 muffler hangers instead of just 2 as indicated in the hitch instructions. All went well with both the harness and hitch. Brake controller will come later.

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited Hampton Grey
194 Posts

I'm curious if there is a spot on the dash intended for a factory brake controller to go. I'm not planning on towing any time soon. But if I did I would want a clean looking install instead of making permanent holes in my dash for something aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm curious if there is a spot on the dash intended for a factory brake controller to go. I'm not planning on towing any time soon. But if I did I would want a clean looking install instead of making permanent holes in my dash for something aftermarket.
Could always go with a wireless controller to avoid messing up the dash.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Right now, I don't need brakes because I'm only towing my small fishing boat.

We'll be starting restoration/rehab of our bigger boat pretty soon. That one will maybe need brakes, but I'll have to get them installed on the trailer first. Total weight for the big boat should be around 2,500 pounds.

I do haul my tractor on a 6 x 12 trailer and that'll be pretty close to 3,000 pounds all up.

When the time comes, I'll probably use this controller:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I didn't ask for a brake controller to be installed. I'm going a different route on that part.
So the real answer is NO they didn't do a complete job, because you didn't ask them to install a brake controller. Without the brake controller you can't tow a trailer with electric brakes. You probably know that.

I only state this because there seems some confusion out there regarding what is a "complete ready to tow a 7-Blade electric brake equiped trailer setup" and just bolting on the trailer hitch and plugging in the Kia 7-Blade unit; which doesn't require any "wiring" at all. All they did was just bolt the hitch on and plug in a wiring connector.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Right now, I don't need brakes because I'm only towing my small fishing boat.
So if your non-electric brake boat trailer has a 4-Pin connector, you will have to get a 7-Blade to 4-Pin adaptor to tow it.

Again, you probably know this, but others seem confused...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just cross posting this in case others can't figure it out...

1) If you need trailer brakes* you MUST get the 7 pin harness PLUS a brake controller.
2) The brake controller can be wired under the dash OR you avoid that mess and get a wireless controller.
3) Can you do a 4 to 7 conversion? Yes but it requires extra wiring. Thus I see no good reason to go this route when the Kia 7 pin has been confirmed to work. Don't worry that packaging says Kia instead of Hyundai, its the same plug.
4) If your trailer doesn't have brakes you can easily convert the 7 to 4 pin at the plug location. I have used this exact setup for over 20 years on my Dakota for two different boat trailers.

*even if you have no trailer brakes I would still install the 7 pin since it future proofs your install and allows you to tow any trailer with a 7 to 4 pin adapter.

Helpful links: (if any parts are out of stock search the part numbers for other retailers)
Kia 7 pin harness - Part #S9F67-AC500 = 2020-2022 Kia Telluride Trailer Tow Harness S9F67-AC500 Kia Parts Store Kia Wholesale Parts Phoenix Dallas San Francisco Los Angeles Bay Area | Kia Parts Store
Wireless brake controller - Curt Echo #51180 = www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-Controller-Bluetooth-Enabled-Proportional/dp/B07JQ99SDD/
7 to 4 pin converter - Curt #57245 = Amazon.com
Install of wired brake controller under the dash: The Official Santa Cruz Towing Thread REDARC brand shown but others will be similar.

SOAP BOX / RANT TIME:
As stated in the Official Towing thread its a shame Hyundai doesn't have a true towing packing with the required parts available right now. Also not having an official brake controller like the Maverick was a major misstep. They promoted the towing capacity but everyone missed the fine print that states you can't do this without some extra bits. Dealers, as usual, have proven to be a TERRIBLE source of information regarding this whole situation :(

However in Hyundai's defense the new Nissan Frontier and the recent Ford Ranger both require aftermarket brake controllers so this is not SC specific problem :oops: If I had to guess I bet Hyundai knew full well that most customers wouldn't be towing - they just wanted a bullet point on the spec sheet and did the testing required to get the rating while leaving the rest of us to figure out the how-to part.

Hyundai does make a 7 pin for the SC. I checked my calendar but I don't have a month called "Late Availability" :cry:
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
6 Posts
There’s really no argument. I bought and installed both a plug and play 7 pin harness (kia) and a hitch from Hyundai. I already had an Echo Bluetooth brake controller from my previous tow vehicle. So, there should be no issue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So the real answer is NO they didn't do a complete job, because you didn't ask them to install a brake controller. Without the brake controller you can't tow a trailer with electric brakes. You probably know that.

I only state this because there seems some confusion out there regarding what is a "complete ready to tow a 7-Blade electric brake equiped trailer setup" and just bolting on the trailer hitch and plugging in the Kia 7-Blade unit; which doesn't require any "wiring" at all. All they did was just bolt the hitch on and plug in a wiring connector.
The real answer is YES. They completed the job I asked them to do.

So if your non-electric brake boat trailer has a 4-Pin connector, you will have to get a 7-Blade to 4-Pin adaptor to tow it.

Again, you probably know this, but others seem confused...
I already had a 7 to 4 adapter. And used it last evening.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Sky

Tire Sky Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I already had a 7 to 4 adapter. And used it last evening.
Yup! That's all you are capable of doing at this point. No trailer brakes for you yet... Or me for that matter. I will be leaving mine like this as well, but will have a extra 4-pin that runs a plug & play sequential LED light bar too.

Trailer and boat look great. I'm jealous!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts