Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you pay for the hitch separately or was it included in a package?

Is there wiring? 4 pin and or 7 pin round?

Thanks & congrats!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Drives great. Smooth. Front really roomy for 2. Great comfort, larger armrest with lots of storage. Back seat comfortable with front seats pulled up.
(y)(y) How do you find the power output of the non-turbo 2.5L?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The brochure says only 4-pin. Hopefully it is both.
A 7-pin is available, apparently at this early stage it’s a Kia part.

The link below is correct not sure why the text is about oil…

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just cant wrap my head around how Hyundai, in every press release, official walk around and all literature touts prominently the 5000lb tow capacity yet has not equipped the vehicle to do so.

They are about to lose my reservation.

The Maverick will come with what is needed to tow 4000lb via the 4k tow package that explicitly states, 7 pin and brake controller. The Ridgeline also comes, standard, from the factory, with a hitch and 7 pin.

The Cruz tow package only comes with a 4 pin? I wouldnt tow more than like 2500lbswithout a brake controller via 7pin with a vehicle this size. Let alone the base model's 3500lb or turbo 5000lbs.

They have bungled this aspect of the Santa Cruz. They know the value of marketing tow capacity, but didnt follow through on how to get to the tow rating.

Disingenuous.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just cant wrap my head around how Hyundai, in every press release, official walk around and all literature touts prominently the 5000lb tow capacity yet has not equipped the vehicle to do so.

They are about to lose my reservation.

The Maverick will come with what is needed to tow 4000lb via the 4k tow package that explicitly states, 7 pin and brake controller. The Ridgeline also comes, standard, from the factory, with a hitch and 7 pin.

The Cruz tow package only comes with a 4 pin? I wouldnt tow more than like 2500lbswithout a brake controller via 7pin with a vehicle this size. Let alone the base model's 3500lb or turbo 5000lbs.

They have bungled this aspect of the Santa Cruz. They know the value of marketing tow capacity, but didnt follow through on how to get to the tow rating.

Disingenuous.
Is there a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You can get the 7 pin when your order the tow hitch, however at this early stage its just not available.

Currently its a $138 part that takes (guessing) 10 minutes to install. So this is no big deal. I'm sure Hyundai crunched the numbers and realized most people don't need this part.

BTW the 4K tow package is $475 on the Maverick.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have a link to this? (Not the Kia part)

And do you know if a trailer brake connection is pre-wired in the dash?

Both are needed to tow more than 1600lbs.

And pretty sure it will be more than 10 mins to install. I beleive power needs to be supplied from the vehicle battery which will require splicing or properly running a fused connection from the battery to the hitch.

Point being, selling a vehicle that is designed and touted to tow 3500lb to 5000lbs but not equiping it to tow more than 1600lbs is...questionable.

I am aware of the maverick tow package. It clearly says 7 pin and brake controller.

The tow package I see for the Cruz on the accessory website says 4 pin, and no mention of brake controller or at least a brake control input.

Trust me when I say that this stuff needs to be factory/warranty/dealer items. A LOT can go wrong.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Full specs are here: en_US click on all trims features, then scroll all the way to bottom and you'll see this:
Tow hitch harness (7 Pin)K5F61AU400SEL Premium, Limited (Late Availability)

Sadly no brake controller however.

The Maverick's tow package is more impressive, you get an oil cooler, an upgraded radiator, a trailer brake controller, and the famous 7 pin. If you are OK with 4,000lb max then get the Maverick. Clearly Ford is more serious about towing.

I don't find this disingenuous by Hyundai, almost all vehicles have some disclaimer that says "when properly equipped". I see this a CYA legal type disclaimer. In FL where I live you can tow 3,000lbs with no brakes. In other states the requirement is as low as just 1,000lbs: State and Province Towing Laws

Here are the install directions, this is for the 4 pin but the 7 pin is the same: cr267_ac400.pdf the tools listed are a panel pry tool, 14mm socket and zip ties. It just plugs in... zero skill required, the hardest part is getting under the vehicle. I bet there is enough ground clearance to do this in your driveway no lift or jack stands required. I managed to put a hitch on my father's Ford Escape that way.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Do you have a link to this? (Not the Kia part)

And do you know if a trailer brake connection is pre-wired in the dash?

Both are needed to tow more than 1600lbs.

And pretty sure it will be more than 10 mins to install. I beleive power needs to be supplied from the vehicle battery which will require splicing or properly running a fused connection from the battery to the hitch.

Point being, selling a vehicle that is designed and touted to tow 3500lb to 5000lbs but not equiping it to tow more than 1600lbs is...questionable.

I am aware of the maverick tow package. It clearly says 7 pin and brake controller.

The tow package I see for the Cruz on the accessory website says 4 pin, and no mention of brake controller or at least a brake control input.

Trust me when I say that this stuff needs to be factory/warranty/dealer items. A LOT can go wrong.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Don't know if Ford is still old school, but it is 10 mins to install. Factory port is clearly shown in the install.. plug in, string the cable to the bumper, done. 🙂 Jeeze... Patience... Thing just came out... The towing issue will be resolved.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts