Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your plans for what to store in the brunk (bed trunk) of the SC? Some thought it would make a good ice chest, but honestly how often do you do that, its not insulated plastic so it won't last, its not that deep, and there's a warning not to freeze the lock mechanism. I think cooler stuff is best kept in, you know, an actual cooler.

I haven't measured yet, but I was thinking probably two or three if it will fit of those large collapsible plastic baskets stacked that are great to pull out for Costco/grocery trips, and if there is any room then the spare kit. This would then allow more room in the back cab underseat storage, and might even pull that and just put in some universal floor mats perfectly cut to size for the area.

Curious about your ideas, no wrong answers!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
With all of the manufacturer's (assuming) provided talking points about icing drinks in the brunk (see literally every early YT video and tell me it's not a provided script!) ... I'd actually like to do a little test when I get mine, although it'll be into cooler weather by then and less effective. I'd like to fill it with ice below the lock, drop a wireless thermometer in there and test A) how long the ice lasts and B) how quickly it warms up vs. ambient temps.

What I would love to use it for is when I get back to travelling a bit again, and can get back to Costco again (about a 4 hour drive to the nearest one), add a couple bags of ice and use it to haul big slabs of meat home. I normally use ice in cooler bags, but I think the brunk would be great if it can hold ice/temps for over 4 hours until I get home.

Otherwise, it'll probably hold jumper cables/booster packs/washer fluid/emergency kits/etc that I don't use often but would like to keep hidden away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure about the brunk, but the bed will be a boon for me.
  • Kayak, fishing and baseball gear in the summer.
  • Hockey gear in the winter. (Hoping my sticks fit diagonally)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With all of the manufacturer's (assuming) provided talking points about icing drinks in the brunk (see literally every early YT video and tell me it's not a provided script!) ... I'd actually like to do a little test when I get mine, although it'll be into cooler weather by then and less effective. I'd like to fill it with ice below the lock, drop a wireless thermometer in there and test A) how long the ice lasts and B) how quickly it warms up vs. ambient temps.
I figured the drain plugs are still useful, but more for like when it gets dirty just hose it out like the rest of the bed, and then it won't hold water there which is nice. More like a cleaning tool than a ice chest.

If you were going to use it as an ice chest, I would drop the spare and take a look there and see if its possible to use spray foam and plastidip. The sprayfoam should stick well if the plastic is clean, black plastidip will make it not so visible and overspray isn't really an issue since its removable, and that should have decent insulation value.

There might be sheetmetal right under that tub though, which would make adding insulation a bit more challenging. They also have aluminum face sticky back rolls of foam insulation, but I would wager that would fall off over time.

Problem with insulating it from the inside is you lose too much space IMO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would much rather just keep a cooler in the bed. It will do a better job at everything than the brunk would. And it's portable. Hyundai should make a set of coolers available in the same colours as their paint options and charge double for them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'll try to keep the brunk open for the wife to put stuff there as long as my stuff fits under the seats or the side compartments. Currently in my truck I keep a portable 12V air compressor, ratchet straps, bungee cords, duct tape, heavy duty tow rope, breaker bar and socket for trailer tires (lugs are often a different size).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would much rather just keep a cooler in the bed. It will do a better job at everything than the brunk would. And it's portable. Hyundai should make a set of coolers available in the same colours as their paint options and charge double for them.
The 115V outlet in the back is only 160watt IIRC, but that is plenty for the refrigerated coolers in the bed.

There are plenty that are dark gray plastic, so then you can just go on ebay and order a cheap adhesive 3D Hyundai badge and slap that on there. Voila!
So far I’ve put a couple of collapsible crates and a few bungee cords.
Isn't there also a side cubby for bungee cords or tie-down straps? Or am I thinking of the Maverick?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not yet sure how I am going to use the interior / exterior storage solutions. What I do know: Their primary goal will be to reduce clutter inside the cabin and in the bed.

Really hoping the tiny (side) bed cubby is large enough to store bungie cords, tie downs, basic emergency tools, a bed net etc.

With regard to the inside (rear seat) storage tray, I plan on removing the jack from the foam housing (and wrapping it in a thin sheet or padded blanket). I would be gaining a blanket without effecting the free space on the passenger side of the storage tray.

Hoping there is room under the front two seats for a jacket or water or whatever If not, I could place these items in rear seat tray. (How is the space under the front two seats? Forgot to check when I visited the dealership).

Depending on how much space the other solutions give me, I can pretty much do anything with the brunk. On cycling days, it will hold my floor standing bike pump and bike gear. On hiking days, it may hold a day pack, jacket, change of clothes, and collapsable hiking sticks. Regardless of how much I have to cut down, a furniture pad, (or padded towel or blanket) WILL be stored in the brunk, or inside the vehicle at all times (used many times per week). If I am going on vacation, I expect to carry a few extra emergency items in the brunk.

Can't tell you how much I look forward to hiding things in a neat and organized manner. 😁

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 115V outlet in the back is only 160watt IIRC, but that is plenty for the refrigerated coolers in the bed.

There are plenty that are dark gray plastic, so then you can just go on ebay and order a cheap adhesive 3D Hyundai badge and slap that on there. Voila!

Isn't there also a side cubby for bungee cords or tie-down straps? Or am I thinking of the Maverick?
There are two cubbies. One with the electrical outlet. I could just as easily used those. Just chose to toss them in here.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With regard to the inside (rear seat) storage tray, I plan on removing the jack from the foam housing (and wrapping it in a thin sheet or padded blanket). This should "hopefully" give me a larger canvas to work with.
Padded blankets and/or tarps are nice to have anyway, lots of uses. We even call them "moving blankets" sometimes because its nice to wrap around delicate things you're putting in the bed. Usually use a roll of tan or blue painters tape, the kind that leaves no residue, are good for securing the blanket to something that's easy enough to tear off later.
Hoping there is room under the front two passenger seats for a jacket or water or whatever If not, I could place these items in rear seat tray.
Usually its nice for taller passengers to have all that room for their feet.

BTW, I heard that some people buy sheets of that "pick and pluck" or whatever you call it foam, where they pre-slice a bunch of squares into the foam and you just pick out whatever shape you need, and then spray the whole thing down with several coats of plastidip. This then becomes a somewhat firm yet pliable mold to easily put in and out as the plastidip basically coats it in a thin layer of black rubber. Could make one brunk size, and maybe have a quick way to hold drone gear, or camera gear, or firearms, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm wondering just how secure the brunk is from dust. Like if I drive this for hours on unpaved forest service roads, will my stuff in the brunk be coated in dust? Mainly concerned with the drain plugs, they don't look super tight-fitting in videos. Any Ridgeline folks have experience with this in that trunk?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
437 Posts
I have a Ridgeline and I don't get any dust in the hidden trunk because of the seals around the lid area. It is a great place for storage of important items that should not get wet.

As far as ice, it melts pretty fast, especially if you are driving on the highway.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
247 Posts
Not yet sure how I am going to use the interior / exterior storage solutions. What I do know: Their primary goal will be to reduce clutter inside the cabin and in the bed.

Really hoping the tiny (side) bed cubby is large enough to store bungie cords, tie downs, basic emergency tools, a bed net etc.
I can say from experience the side bed cubbies are large enough for bungie cords, tie downs and basic emergency tools. I can't say about the bed net since I don't know how large it is folded up.

·
Registered
5 Posts

What I would love to use it for is when I get back to travelling a bit again, and can get back to Costco again (about a 4 hour drive to the nearest one), add a couple bags of ice and use it to haul big slabs of meat home. I normally use ice in cooler bags, but I think the brunk would be great if it can hold ice/temps for over 4 hours until I get home.

Otherwise, it'll probably hold jumper cables/booster packs/washer fluid/emergency kits/etc that I don't use often but would like to keep hidden away.
One of the reviews I saw mentioned that the design of the mechanism means that it will be submerged in the ice if you fill it anywhere near the top, and then you can't open it until the ice melts - as opposed to (I think) the Honda which has the mechanism off to the side so you can fill it. Idk if that was exaggeration but it's something to look at before topping it off the first time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That will be the dealers next $1,000+ add on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts