Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My goal was to design a very simple method of mounting my Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot in the Santa Cruz bed that: can be setup quickly, left installed and folded up while driving (if desired); easily removed and completely portable in the original storage bag also.

I started by purchasing two 2" X 6" X 6' redwood planks and cut them to 53.5" in length, then set them in the bed slots for the tent cot to sit on top of. The folded tent cot sits well below the cab roof, so there won't be any aerodynamic drag if left installed while driving.
Vehicle Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

Because I wanted everything to be portable, I thought it would be best to box in the tent cot legs to prevent it from moving right to left or front to back, rather than bolting it in. I noticed the plastic pieces on the legs came right to the edge of the cross boards when they are in their widest position in the slots while at the same time the fold out extensions hit the slanted bed edge coming off the back of the cab (it happened to sit in the prefect position).
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Window

After sleeping on it for a night and considering different methods of securing it in place I came up with this simple idea to use wood stops at all four corners with tie downs over the leg cross bar attached to the bed floor tie down loops. I drew this design on a Post-It for the stops.
Gesture Wood Automotive design Finger Rectangle

The legs sit 6.5" in from each end of the cross boards, so I cut four right to left stops out of the leftover 2x6 redwood and attached them with three screws from the bottom to each end. Then I cut four 6" x 3" x 0.5" front to back stops out of some raw base board wood with a single rounded edge and rounded the protruding corner on each. These are attached with three deck screws 2.5" in from the end of the cross boards, which leaves 2" sticking out for the stop.
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Trunk

The last thing was to come up with a simple cot extension support method for the side facing the rear. I remembered Harbor Tool & Freight had some solid rubber wheel chucks that might do the trick and they did!
Car Sky Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle
Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

These are surprising easy to cut with a saw and/or circular wood hole cutter on a drill press. I did one circular cut for the extension support and a 90* straight cut for the outer leg that isn't used to swing down a bit so you don't hit it when in the cot (the outer legs can also simply be removed if you desire).
Gas Wood Rectangle Metal Aluminium
Rectangle Composite material Transparency Metal Fashion accessory

They slide in right on top of the bed edge and hold securely in place and can still serve double duty as wheel chucks if needed in a pinch.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

The tent cot end straps attach nicely to the plastic fender surrounds and have quick release clips with cinch straps.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

I'm very happy with the end result. Simple, neat, clean and light weight.

Next I'm going design a way to use the rain cover front zipper flap as a small awning over the entrance to the tent and tailgate. I might also make a shoe tray between the cross boards under the cot.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
33 Posts
My goal was to design a very simple method of mounting my Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot in the Santa Cruz bed that: can be setup quickly, left installed and folded up while driving (if desired); easily removed and completely portable in the original storage bag also.

I started by purchasing two 2" X 6" X 6' redwood planks and cut them to 53.5" in length, then set them in the bed slots for the tent cot to sit on top of. The folded tent cot sits well below the cab roof, so there won't be any aerodynamic drag if left installed while driving.
View attachment 3222
Because I wanted everything to be portable, I thought it would be best to box in the tent cot legs to prevent it from moving right to left or front to back, rather than bolting it in. I noticed the plastic pieces on the legs came right to the edge of the cross boards when they are in their widest position in the slots while at the same time the fold out extensions hit the slanted bed edge coming off the back of the cab (it happened to sit in the prefect position).
View attachment 3223
After sleeping on it for a night and considering different methods of securing it in place I came up with this simple idea to use wood stops at all four corners with tie downs over the leg cross bar attached to the bed floor tie down loops. I drew this design on a Post-It for the stops.
View attachment 3224
The legs sit 6.5" in from each end of the cross boards, so I cut four right to left stops out of the leftover 2x6 redwood and attached them with three screws from the bottom to each end. Then I cut four 6" x 3" x 0.5" front to back stops out of some raw base board wood with a single rounded edge and rounded the protruding corner on each. These are attached with three deck screws 2.5" in from the end of the cross boards, which leaves 2" sticking out for the stop.
View attachment 3225
The last thing was to come up with a simple cot extension support method for the side facing the rear. I remembered Harbor Tool & Freight had some solid rubber wheel chucks that might do the trick and they did!
View attachment 3226 View attachment 3227
These are surprising easy to cut with a saw and/or circular wood hole cutter on a drill press. I did one circular cut for the extension support and a 90* straight cut for the outer leg that isn't used to swing down a bit so you don't hit it when in the cot (the outer legs can also simply be removed if you desire).
View attachment 3228 View attachment 3229
They slide in right on top of the bed edge and hold securely in place and can still serve double duty as wheel chucks if needed in a pinch.
View attachment 3230
The tent cot end straps attach nicely to the plastic fender surrounds and have quick release clips with cinch straps.
View attachment 3231

Next I'm going design a way to use the rain cover front zipper flap as a small awning over the entrance to the tent and tailgate. I might also make a shoe tray between the cross boards under the cot.
Looks great! I put cut pool noodles under the frame that sits out on the bed rails. For the rain fly I put in a couple grommets for poles to stick in and hold the flap up. Can't wait to test my set up on a camping trip. Enjoy!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for pics and info. Instead of cinching the straps to the fenders, would you be able to attach to the bed rail cargo cleats or if you don't have SEL w/ activity, to the bed tiedown loops?

·
Registered
75 Posts

View attachment 3222
View attachment 3223
View attachment 3224
View attachment 3225
View attachment 3226 View attachment 3227
View attachment 3228 View attachment 3229
View attachment 3230
View attachment 3231

SWEEEET

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for pics and info. Instead of cinching the straps to the fenders, would you be able to attach to the bed rail cargo cleats or if you don't have SEL w/ activity, to the bed tiedown loops?
I'm not sure how far off the cab the Activity Package rolled up cover takes up, but mounted in the position I did it's only about 6" from the front of the bed.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Bumper Rim

The fender well straps are not for any kind of serious tie down support, but simply to hold the two fold out extensions in place. The cot itself is held down with a ratchet tie down on each side wrapping over each leg cross bar using the bed tiedown loops. These two tiedowns hold the entire tent cot and cross boards in place so they don't move at all.
Wood Automotive exterior Wood stain Bumper Floor

I'm not sure there is anything on the side of the vehicle to attach to other than the fender well or tie off through a wheel spoke. The fender well straps don't have any major tension on them at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts