1,272 Posts
This is what I plan on doing:
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

I've got a Pelican Catch 120.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
I don't know if it's really THAT expensive, given the sweet way that setup works. That's some great engineering right there.

I have a Pelican Catch 120 too ... and if I don't like the way it goes on the roof, I expect that I'll pick up one of those bed extender hitch accessories. (Once the hitch is installed, anyway.)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I don't know if it's really THAT expensive, given the sweet way that setup works. That's some great engineering right there.
Very impressive. It solves the main problem with getting the 'yak all the way up on the roof. Granted most 'yaks aren't that heavy but can be tricky to get in place due to size.

I like the bed route simply for aero and messiness reasons. I fish in saltwater thus the yak is going to be dripping salt and sand onto the roof - ummm no thanks. However if your camping I could see why using the roof and leaving the bed free for other cargo make the roof rack a required solution.

·
Registered
67 Posts
View attachment 2623

I have one of those extenders (Princess Auto on sale) which I already put in the brunk for when I need to grab stuff on the way home. I have a utility trailer for larger Home Depot runs, but this style of bed extender works well for longer lumber, etc. especially with the smaller box.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have one of those extenders (Princess Auto on sale) which I already put in the brunk for when I need to grab stuff on the way home.
Nice! The fact that this kind of hitch extender breaks down into smaller pieces and fits in the brunk is another reason I like it. Having a short bed (5 foot) Dakota for so long I've gotten accustom to putting down the tailgate for lengthy loads from Lowes or Ikea. Just keep some ratchet straps in those back compartments and you are set. Some of these extenders are rated to hold 300lbs when the weight is distributed correctly.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I like the bed route simply for aero and messiness reasons. I fish in saltwater thus the yak is going to be dripping salt and sand onto the roof - ummm no thanks. However if your camping I could see why using the roof and leaving the bed free for other cargo make the roof rack a required solution.
Yeah, I'm thousands of miles from the nearest salt water that isn't in a hotel swimming pool, fresh water isn't much of an issue, the way salt water would be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
View attachment 2623

Would you be able to lay a piece of plywood from the bed to the extender to make a platform to say bring home additional bags of mulch? I know I may be over thinking this, and starting to potentially reach payload limits, but I'd like to bring home as many bags of mulch as possible in one trip, but don't have the money or space to store an actual trailer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
remember this stretches a long way from the hitch itself, and leverage comes into play here, as the weight goes farther and farther behind the truck itself. Not sure how heavy mulch is but i'd be a bit careful on loading... try to put as much forward as possible, or it'll feel like you're doing wheelies.

·
Registered
254 Posts
remember this stretches a long way from the hitch itself, and leverage comes into play here, as the weight goes farther and farther behind the truck itself. Not sure how heavy mulch is but i'd be a bit careful on loading... try to put as much forward as possible, or it'll feel like you're doing wheelies.
Very good point. Would be nice if the length was adjustable so you could shorten it some. But for $99, this can certainly be a useful tool to have, especially if you can break it down and store it in the brunk. Now I just need a hitch! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or going uphill. It will scratch the bottom end of the extender bar.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Technically, an Ultimate - he's in Torontoland. Not sure what that yak weighs ... but my 12 footer runs almost 80 pounds. I'm not hoisting something that long up like that. Even if a bear was chasing me. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can carry 2 kayaks in our Santa Fe Sport with the rear hatch partially open. You need a rope to secure the front of the kayaks to the front grab handle and another rope to tie down the rear hatch from flipping upwards.
I see Ridgelines all the time carrying 2-3 kayaks, tailgate down and kayaks tied to the front of the bed. With the SC bed 1 foot shorter I think it might work the same way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts