Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about an option called the "Launch Pkg"?

I ordered a Hampton Gray SEL Prem AWD Santa Cruz and selected Bed Fence and Floor Mats as options. There is also an option called Launch Pkg in the order screen priced somewhere around $1150 if memory serves me correctly. This was on the actual Hyundaidealer order screen and not a dealer installed option/accessory.

Any help is appreciated since I can still modify the order.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
286 Posts
So pretty much like ordering the entire "Value/Dollar Menu". Thanks. I don't need all of that stuff. I really wanted to get the trailer hitch, but apparently it isn't available factory installed yet.
There have been more than a few people that got the factory installed trailer hitch.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
But not with a viable 7-pin hookup which is needed for actually towing anything of significance.
"Anything of significance"? There is PLENTY you can tow without the 7 pin connector. You're just not going to put a 5,000lb travel trailer behind it. You're perfectly fine to tow the average utility trailer, fishing boat, PONTOON BOAT (see Truck King video on YouTube), etc with just the 4 pin harness.

I'd call a boat plenty significant to most people. If you REALLY plan to haul around a 20' travel trailer regularly, you should honestly consider a full size truck anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In Alberta, we're allowed to tow up to 2000lbs or 50% of the tow vehicle weight without trailer brakes. My 1999 190hp 17ft runabout weighs about 2300lbs + 600lb trailer, add some water toys and I'm up to I guess around 3300lbs. The E450 Class C has no problem towing it without brakes (It's about 12,000lbs), but I don't know if the SC should attempt it without adding brakes to the trailer and a brake controller in the cab, seeing as how that's closer to 75% of the SC's weight. I intend to use the SC for daytrips to the lake in the summer (for this year, we're just using the MH, as I already sold my Silverado 6.2l and my SC isn't coming in until later in September), so the 7 pin wiring with a brake controller connector in the cab will be needed for next year. A full size travel trailer, even if the weight is close to the same, has a MUCH bigger wind profile and drag, so that's going to be tougher to pull with the little trucklet, but I am certain the boat will pull just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know about the trailer hitch. When the order was first placed it didn't show the bed fence and trailer hitch as options even though we knew they were. I had them check again a week later and the bed fence showed up and they added it, but the trailer hitch was still not there. Hopefully that option appears before Hyundai picks up the order and they put it into production.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"Anything of significance"? There is PLENTY you can tow without the 7 pin connector. You're just not going to put a 5,000lb travel trailer behind it. You're perfectly fine to tow the average utility trailer, fishing boat, PONTOON BOAT (see Truck King video on YouTube), etc with just the 4 pin harness.

I'd call a boat plenty significant to most people. If you REALLY plan to haul around a 20' travel trailer regularly, you should honestly consider a full size truck anyway.
OK Mr. Bear this is the first time I disagree with you. Sort of. My mid size Colorado tows my 17.5' travel trailer, 20' with tongue, easily. It is only 200 lbs heavier than the SC. When I was thinking of getting a 6'x10' covered cargo trailer I asked my brother who tows literally tons of stuff, hay, cars, organic livestock feed, if I should order the trailer with or without trailer brakes he told me definitely with. At the time I owned an F250 that could easily pull and stop the 3500 lbs that trailer could haul. His answer was sure it could but not only will it save on my truck brakes but it is more important when things are less than ideal. A flat tire, slick roads from rain or ice, trailer brakes will keep the trailer from jackknifing. Especially in an emergency stopping situation. That huge, long Pontoon boat that TK was shown hauling might not weigh 3500 lbs but it is a long lever arm that could be a problem in an emergency braking situation. ;-)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts

You are correct, but I would rather have the proper setup that might be a little over the minimum requirements. OT: Did you ever find out if Canadiens were being charged MSRP or over MSRP?

·
Registered
67 Posts
As to MSRP, I am getting mine at MSRP when it comes in (rumour is Sept 24). I have confirmed that with the sales manager at the dealership, but to be fair, I've not seen any actual paperwork yet. Hopefully he isn't just fattening me up for the kill.

FYI, Canadiens is the Montreal Hockey team... We are all Canadians..

As to trailering, I had a Kia Sedona back a number of years when I had my 17' bumper pull.. put an aftermarket brake controller (prodigy) and pulled it all over through the mountains. Since then I worked my way up to bigger trailers and bigger trucks, but now that I switched to the Class C for camping, the trucklet will do all I need of it, but I agree that for the weight of the boat, I definitely am putting a decent proportional trailer brake controller in and adding brakes to the boat trailer.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
OK Mr. Bear this is the first time I disagree with you.
We can disagree and still be friends. :) Your points are perfectly accurate, and I agree that it's 100% better to have the trailer brakes than not. But you can still do some reasonably significant towing without a trailer brake. Heck, I put a tandem flat deck and a Honda Fit on the back of my C1500 without trailer brakes. Sure could have used those brakes ... because it really put the truck's brakes through the wringer, but it was a fairly short haul (about 30km/20miles) that only happened once. I wouldn't try it frequently, it was more of an "in a pinch" to help a co-worker moment.
You are correct, but I would rather have the proper setup that might be a little over the minimum requirements.
Agreed!! And I will wait out the 7-pin connector, since I can't get the hitch for a while anyway. Still not showing up in the dealer's system as an option yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts