Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally hit the break in on my Limited and got to truly enjoy the ride and it’s modes for the first time.

I want to preface any of my following posts by stating that I’m coming off a 2019 Ram 1500 classic Hemi, so all opinions will based off that.

Took a 500+ mile journey from New England down through the Delaware River state park and back up through central jersey over the GWB, through CT traffic on 84 and back home. This was the road trip to really feel out how much fun this thing would be.

Did some good (border line legal) pulls on the highway, got in to some nice spats, and most importantly tested out all of my new trucks capabilities and some of Hyundai’s
available drive assist functions.
From 0-60: initial pull was noticeably better in the Ram, 0-60 is about the same (fact check me) but a majority of the pull is high end RPMs.

From 60-100: in regular drive mode, be prepared for auto gear selection, which was similar to the Ram. In sport mode and selecting the right gear before a pull was way quicker than the 1500.

Maneuverability did not diminish at street legal speeds.

My favorite aspect of the Santa Cruz, the ability to navigate a turn. I implore you to navigate 22 from Easton to Philspburg to test this in the capacities, because I assure you that this single road was nothing more than exuberant.

Last ego trip of the driveability: did a straight pull tonight with my wife in car (hated pulls in the hemi) and received the same negative remarks regarding it being “too sickening”. I understand 280 hp is not world shacking, but the average person will definitely be impressed with a pick up that can do 0-60 in <6 seconds.

Update: Went out for a drive today in some open road, non highway traffic conditions and did some pulls in sport mode: definitely quicker off the line than my Ram but definitely not as hard a pull off the line. The difference obviously being the turbo, but nonetheless an enjoyable feel.

And on a final note, my SAV SMOKED the d*** in a stickered out ‘13 wrx!!

I’m super curious to know what cars/trucks you’re coming off and how it compares!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow finally the post I have been waiting for.

I test drove the SC and it pulled really great but obviously couldn't go crazy with it for too long with the gf and salesman with me lol

What would you say the 0-60 is? About 6 secs+-?

Felt a little bit faster than the 5.7 Tundra I had and only had my current Tacoma to compare it with, which is 7 secs but I know the super down low torque can affect the performance perception.

The best part is how well it handles with all that power unlike the full size trucks.

Always wanted a midsize with a V8 so the SC is the closest we gonna get, probably better since it handles noticeably better than a midsize truck.

Now if only we could find a way to make it sound badass:cautious:.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm picking up my SC Limited tomorrow afternoon. After I break in the drive train I can do a 0-60 with my Aim Solo 2 DL off my racing motorcycle to get accurate times if anyone is interested.
"if anyone is interested"...? Holy smokes, man, of course we're interested! Please report back with the results when you have them.

PS: Congratulations on your new ride! Send pix when you get it.

Reactions: FFEMT6

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
151 Posts
I’m super curious to know what cars/trucks you’re coming off and how it compares!
Thank you for posting your initial impressions in detail! 👍

I am expecting performance of the SC to be on par with my (previously owned) '00 Dakota R/T before it was modded: 0-60 in a little over 6 seconds, and a 1/4 mile time of just over 15 seconds @ 90 mph; with a whole lot better mpg!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Now if only we could find a way to make it sound badass:cautious:.
Here's hoping that someone makes a catback for the SC. I had a Ram 1500 that I simply replaced the muffler with a Flowmaster Outlaw and that made some nice noise. Would have been nice if Hyundai had at least piped in some augmented sound like they do on their other cars, and like Kia does. I just want a little punch to go along with that turbo!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's hoping that someone makes a catback for the SC. I had a Ram 1500 that I simply replaced the muffler with a Flowmaster Outlaw and that made some nice noise. Would have been nice if Hyundai had at least piped in some augmented sound like they do on their other cars, and like Kia does. I just want a little punch to go along with that turbo!
Just not sure that will be enough on a 4cyl lol

At least in my v6 taco, I put a KN intake and it made it sound more muscular and almost had a V8 burble at low cruising rpms but it was too drony/annoyingly loud at WOT. Instead changed it to a KN filter, only keeping the stock box and resonator delete, and it sounds surprisingly good at medium, high throttle.

Ultimately I don't care if it sounds great on the outside because I hear it from the inside 99.99% of the time so anything that could do the job would be great lol

Piped audio would be just fine I agree.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just not sure that will be enough on a 4cyl lol

At least in my v6 taco, I put a KN intake and it made it sound more muscular and almost had a V8 burble at low cruising rpms but it was too drony/annoyingly loud at WOT. Instead changed it to a KN filter, only keeping the stock box and resonator delete, and it sounds surprisingly good at medium, high throttle.

Ultimately I don't care if it sounds great on the outside because I hear it from the inside 99.99% of the time so anything that could do the job would be great lol

Piped audio would be just fine I agree.
An intake will definitely provide a nice growl; piped audio? No thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The SC and the Sorrento Turbo has similar power to weight ratio. Both share the same powertrain.
So this review test of the Sorrento should tell you how the SC will perform.

I don't think the SC has launch control but imagine that it could launch violently.
5s 0-60 and quartermile in the low 14s should be easy.

Pretty nice.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts
Not sure these Hyundai turbos are up to the tasks that some people are expecting them to perform. Performance cars have stout turbo systems, but I would not put the SC in that class. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here's hoping that someone makes a catback for the SC.
Just have a random shop bend some pipe for you.

Its not a diesel so you can safely just do a side exit pipe past the first muffler, or if you can sacrifice the factory one, just have them cut off the muffler with enough pipe on it so you could use a clamp to reattach it if desired, and you'd just put a straight pipe in its place and have a hanger welded to it. You don't even need a pretty tip on it, because its a hidden exhaust. I'd just take that last bit of pipe and paint it with high temp flat black spraypaint though so you really can't see it from behind to improve the aesthetic:
The turbo, cat, and first muffler should be more than enough, and removing the second I bet would liven it up a bit. You can drive around with it off first just to see how you like it. Looks like it would come out pretty easy just jacking the rear up a little bit.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
201 Posts
Last ego trip of the driveability: did a straight pull tonight with my wife in car (hated pulls in the hemi) and received the same negative remarks regarding it being “too sickening”. I understand 280 hp is not world shacking, but the average person will definitely be impressed with a pick up that can do 0-60 in <6 seconds.
I'm coming from a 138 hp Veloster (non-turbo). The Santa Cruz has a better power-to-weight ratio, and pulls like a sled dog on steroids compared to the Veloster. The day I bought it, my wife told me to be careful, and, "Please don't get a ticket your first week."

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
The day I bought it, my wife told me to be careful, and, "Please don't get a ticket your first week."
I hear that!! Just on the test drive I had to watch my speedo a lot. Especially after watching buddy a few cars ahead of me on the side of the road with Mr. Occifer getting a ticket on the same stretch of highway. I knew they were out watching with the radar guns pointed. :D

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
201 Posts
I hear that!! Just on the test drive I had to watch my speedo a lot. Especially after watching buddy a few cars ahead of me on the side of the road with Mr. Occifer getting a ticket on the same stretch of highway. I knew they were out watching with the radar guns pointed. :D
Yeah, on our test drive I went to pass a semi, and before I knew it I was doing 80+mph. I let up on the gas and my wife looked over and said, "wow, we're already doing 70?" :LOL:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Typical of a turbocharged vehicle with a strong powerband in the low end. You have to be careful with the gas pedal below the mid rpm band.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
43 Posts
"if anyone is interested"...? Holy smokes, man, of course we're interested! Please report back with the results when you have them.

PS: Congratulations on your new ride! Send pix when you get it.
Ask and ye shall receive.

Did 2 pulls with my Aim Solo 2 DL. Here are the weather conditions I tested in.
Test done with an unloaded Santa Cruz Limited with a full tank of fuel and a 160 Lbs driver at 770ft above sea level.

Both tests were done on the same road that was as flat as I could find around me with no other traffic around.

Pull 1: AC on

I drove around slowly for 5 minutes to cool off components between the next pull.

Pull 2: AC Off

The best I managed was a 6.46, however I am sure that if I had cooler temperatures and a truly flat ground I could have a much more accurate reading, this this close enough for a rough approximation though.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts