Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Launches, pulls, and drivability

13K views 68 replies 22 participants last post by  JMII 
#1 ·
So I finally hit the break in on my Limited and got to truly enjoy the ride and it’s modes for the first time.

I want to preface any of my following posts by stating that I’m coming off a 2019 Ram 1500 classic Hemi, so all opinions will based off that.

Took a 500+ mile journey from New England down through the Delaware River state park and back up through central jersey over the GWB, through CT traffic on 84 and back home. This was the road trip to really feel out how much fun this thing would be.

Did some good (border line legal) pulls on the highway, got in to some nice spats, and most importantly tested out all of my new trucks capabilities and some of Hyundai’s
available drive assist functions.
From 0-60: initial pull was noticeably better in the Ram, 0-60 is about the same (fact check me) but a majority of the pull is high end RPMs.

From 60-100: in regular drive mode, be prepared for auto gear selection, which was similar to the Ram. In sport mode and selecting the right gear before a pull was way quicker than the 1500.

Maneuverability did not diminish at street legal speeds.

My favorite aspect of the Santa Cruz, the ability to navigate a turn. I implore you to navigate 22 from Easton to Philspburg to test this in the capacities, because I assure you that this single road was nothing more than exuberant.

Last ego trip of the driveability: did a straight pull tonight with my wife in car (hated pulls in the hemi) and received the same negative remarks regarding it being “too sickening”. I understand 280 hp is not world shacking, but the average person will definitely be impressed with a pick up that can do 0-60 in <6 seconds.

Update: Went out for a drive today in some open road, non highway traffic conditions and did some pulls in sport mode: definitely quicker off the line than my Ram but definitely not as hard a pull off the line. The difference obviously being the turbo, but nonetheless an enjoyable feel.

And on a final note, my SAV SMOKED the d*** in a stickered out ‘13 wrx!!

I’m super curious to know what cars/trucks you’re coming off and how it compares!

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow finally the post I have been waiting for.

I test drove the SC and it pulled really great but obviously couldn't go crazy with it for too long with the gf and salesman with me lol

What would you say the 0-60 is? About 6 secs+-?

Felt a little bit faster than the 5.7 Tundra I had and only had my current Tacoma to compare it with, which is 7 secs but I know the super down low torque can affect the performance perception.

The best part is how well it handles with all that power unlike the full size trucks.

Always wanted a midsize with a V8 so the SC is the closest we gonna get, probably better since it handles noticeably better than a midsize truck.

Now if only we could find a way to make it sound badass:cautious:.

#9 ·
Now if only we could find a way to make it sound badass:cautious:.
Here's hoping that someone makes a catback for the SC. I had a Ram 1500 that I simply replaced the muffler with a Flowmaster Outlaw and that made some nice noise. Would have been nice if Hyundai had at least piped in some augmented sound like they do on their other cars, and like Kia does. I just want a little punch to go along with that turbo!

#6 ·
"if anyone is interested"...? Holy smokes, man, of course we're interested! Please report back with the results when you have them.

PS: Congratulations on your new ride! Send pix when you get it.

Reactions: FFEMT6
#8 ·
I’m super curious to know what cars/trucks you’re coming off and how it compares!
Thank you for posting your initial impressions in detail! 👍

I am expecting performance of the SC to be on par with my (previously owned) '00 Dakota R/T before it was modded: 0-60 in a little over 6 seconds, and a 1/4 mile time of just over 15 seconds @ 90 mph; with a whole lot better mpg!

#13 ·
The SC and the Sorrento Turbo has similar power to weight ratio. Both share the same powertrain.
So this review test of the Sorrento should tell you how the SC will perform.

I don't think the SC has launch control but imagine that it could launch violently.
5s 0-60 and quartermile in the low 14s should be easy.

Pretty nice.

#31 ·
The same powertrain in the Hyundai Sonata N-Line does 5.0 sec 0-60mph and 13.6sec @106mph in the 1/4 mile. The Sonata weighs a little over 3500lbs. The Sonata is also fwd, and that one had the summer tire option. Not sure if the Sonata N-Line's 8spd dct is tuned exactly like the one in the SC though. I really think the SC 2.5T could hit 60mph in a little under 6 secs. Going to be interesting to see.

#16 ·
Last ego trip of the driveability: did a straight pull tonight with my wife in car (hated pulls in the hemi) and received the same negative remarks regarding it being “too sickening”. I understand 280 hp is not world shacking, but the average person will definitely be impressed with a pick up that can do 0-60 in <6 seconds.
I'm coming from a 138 hp Veloster (non-turbo). The Santa Cruz has a better power-to-weight ratio, and pulls like a sled dog on steroids compared to the Veloster. The day I bought it, my wife told me to be careful, and, "Please don't get a ticket your first week."

#17 ·
The day I bought it, my wife told me to be careful, and, "Please don't get a ticket your first week."
I hear that!! Just on the test drive I had to watch my speedo a lot. Especially after watching buddy a few cars ahead of me on the side of the road with Mr. Occifer getting a ticket on the same stretch of highway. I knew they were out watching with the radar guns pointed. :D

#38 ·
Funny you mention this, I come from a background of car and now motorcycle racing.
My buddies got in the SC this past weekend and we're impressed with the power, it took them all of 7 seconds to ask if there are tunes available for it.

Like no ************, a big reason I bought this thing because it has a 10 year warranty on the drivetrain. Why in the **** would I void the warranty to give the SC more power that it really does not need.

#39 ·
I mean, technically, the answer is simply, "Because you can."

That 2.5T has all the power I'm going to need to get myself into trouble if I'm not paying attention. But some people like to take things to their limits, and I respect that too - as long as it's their money they're gambling with and not mine. :) This isn't going to be a track car for me by any means. I just want to know that if I want to pass a wood truck in a short passing lane up a hill ... I don't have to think about it or plan the move - I can just gun and go. I have a lot of very short passing lanes on my daily commute, which is all two lane highways.

#41 ·
I'm not sure how much I trust these handheld timers. One reviewer did some runs with the SC using his, and he got 5.7 sec 0-60 while on camera. Sure, it's possible there was some difference between the two vehicles that affected their times, but .7 sec? I don't know, but I don't trust it.

#58 · (Edited)
Straight from page 1-5 of the Genesis GV80 manual:

Your new vehicle is designed to obtain maximum performance with UNLEADED FUEL, as well as minimize exhaust emissions and spark plug fouling. Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

Both engines offered are turbos; one being the 2.5T.

Lends some credence to runruot's statement: "Most newer cars compensate and adjust for the octane used so using premium in those cases definetly has an advantage. Not sure kia/hyundai do."

#59 ·
That got me into a rabbit hole.

Here is the exact wording of the latest model year of Sonata N-line, Santa Fe Calligraphy, and Santa Cruz, they all share the same engine:

Gasoline engine Unleaded Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels) Your new vehicle is designed to obtain maximum performance with UNLEADED FUEL, as well as minimize exhaust emissions and spark plug fouling.

apparently for Hyundai products with similar engine (GV80 has a different engine model number compared to Santa Cruz, the 2.5T-GDI-MPI FWD setup is not found in Genesis)
there's no mentioning of using higher octane can boost performance.

I'm just curious if Hyundai only tuned Santa Cruz for 87, what actually happens if you use higher octane fuel, burning too rich?

#68 ·
Wanted to comment on how turbo vehicles “feel faster” due to what others mention as “boost”, “torque down low” etc….

My experience with the turbo cars I’ve owned is this:
They actually ARE faster than their 0-60 and quarter mile times suggest….mainly due to the turbo lag (lag equals time) when timing (measuring via time) from a standing start.

My SC takes at least…. .5 to 1 full second to actually start moving!
Some of this is transmission programming (big time delay) and contributing to this is a little turbo lag.

My SC feels quicker than the timings suggest, because once moving, it is surprisingly strong in its acceleration.
In short, it “feels” like a car that pulls 5.5 sec, 0-60 and 14 sec 1/4 mile timings. (other than from a dead stand still). Even though it can’t do so with stock programming etc.

Just my experience with a few turbo cars.

Ken

#69 ·
My SC feels quicker than the timings suggest, because once moving, it is surprisingly strong in its acceleration.
This +1. Nobody really does 0-60, most acceleration is from 30 to 60 (on ramp) or maybe 15 to 30 in regular driving. Turbos are quick under those conditions. Peak TQ on the SC turbo comes in a diesel-like 1,700 RPM - it digs hard down low, I really notice it towing. Thanks to the DCT it will drop a few gears then blast off, way better then my previous Dakota's V8 / 4 speed auto combo.