Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
'22 SEL Premium in White
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writing this to see if anyone else has noticed similar issues.

Bought my truck in May. Texas had a historically bad drought this summer, but it recently started raining again. A week ago, I noticed after a storm that the carpet under my front seat and in front of the rear seat behind the driver was soaked. Not wet, soaked. All windows were closed, sunroof was closed. No seats were wet. Just the carpet. I took a carpet cleaning vacuum to it and pulled a quart of water out of the carpet.

My wife and I took the truck to a car wash and I had her sit in the back on the passenger side with the driver side rear seat up and she watched for any leaks during the wash but didn't see anything.

I came away assuming that I must have somehow not closed one of the doors all the way. It was the only reasonable explanation I could think of.

Today I was getting ready to load up for a trip and the and exact situation happened. Carpet under the front seat and in front of the rear driver side seat was soaking wet. It rained all day yesterday. Pulled another quart of water out of the carpet with the vacuum.

At this point, it HAS to be a leak. I can see where I might have not closed a door tight enough once, but same week, same exact place, again? No way.

I'm wondering if the water might be getting in behind the plastic trim at the bottom of the door and leaking through into the carpet, and maybe that's why it's not visibly leaking that we can see. I'm going to have to sit back there and have my wife just spray a hose on the driver's side for an hour and see what happens.

The two things that really tick me off are:
1) no way in **** the dealer will be of any help on this. This is a classic "we looked around and couldn't find any issue, sorry" problem.
2) even if I can find the leak and have video proof of it so they fix it, how long has water been getting trapped under my carpet without me realizing it because I've had plastic mats on it? How do I know that the water getting in there isn't going to contribute to early rust on my truck? What would a reasonable resolution even look like for this issue? I'd love to have Hyundai pull my carpet and replace it before it gets mildewy, but if the trapped water is going to cause rust issues too, just give me a new truck, honestly.

Hoping to get some thoughts from the brain trust here and hopefully highlight this for anybody else who might be facing similar issues.

· Registered
55 Posts
My VW GTi had this issue. It had a disconnected hose in the roof rail that was supposed to drain water down into the wheel well. Instead it leaked into the back seat foot well. They fixed it and replaced the carpeting.

· Registered
'22 SEL Premium in White
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sitting here in my truck Thanksgiving morning and looking at another pool of water under the back seat.

Since it's actively raining, I'm able to confirm that there's nothing dripping from up above and there doesn't appear to be any water coming in from the door seals. It looks like this water is coming up from underneath, which may point to a disconnected drain line like others have speculated.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Asphalt

· Registered
'22 SEL Premium in White
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can only assume that this has been going on since I bought the truck in May and I only didn't notice because I had weather mats on the floors. I'm pretty ticked about this. At this point, Hyundai is going to have to replace the carpets at a minimum, but I'm concerned about the water trapped between the carpet and the body contributing to premature rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts