Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I still am very, very interested in the top O' the line SC and do plan on keeping it for a while, I am aware of how many times we have speculated on this forum that in future generations of SC we might expect:
Better color choices
Hybrid version
Power back window

Add into that the current crazy prices being charged for most new vehicles, I am worried about overpaying with a purchase. Now, with a lease, there is nothing stopping them from giving me a crappy residual and high money factor, but at least you can wash your hands of it in 3 years and start over, knowing if you are upside down on it, you will only suffer during the actual lease period but then you can walk away relatively "clean." If the vehicle turns out to be a "winner" both in yours and the general public's eye, there might be some great features added to the upcoming versions of the SC, and there might be more competition in the segment that will catch my eye. Just wondering out loud if a 3 year engagement is better than getting married on day 1?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Bed to cab passthrough or power back window is likely not going to happen, as those would required major structural changes to the vehicle. If you look at other vehicles you'll see the stuff that changes during a model run is normally pretty minor, like colors and trim. Usually just a "face lift", so an off-road or N-Line seems possible as sometimes suspension or engine tweaks occur. The bigger changes such a new powertrains only happen when the original vehicle was designed that way from the start. So did they leave room in the SC for a hybrid battery setup? I'm left to wonder why the under seat storage area is so small, it looks there is empty space there for a battery pack based on pictures.

Regarding changes in general - the future is no guarantee, this vehicle could be a sales dud and never see a second generation. I wonder how many people leased something back in 2015 in anticipation of getting a SC in 2 years?

I am not a fan of leasing because I tend to pay my vehicles off early and keep them for long periods of time. I only leased once and thankfully it worked out, but overall it was hollow feeling having nothing to show for my payments in the end. I avoid being upside down by making sure I put at least 20% down + a trade in to cover your typical 30% first year depreciation hit. In general I never buy new for this exact reason, let someone else take that big hit. To stay safe if I can't afford 30% of the vehicle in cash I just don't buy it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you about leasing. To each his own based on personal situation. However, by putting more down does not stop you from being upside down in reality. You just dumped more money into it in the beginning. If you look at total financial commitment (aside from interest) how much you put down initially is irrelevant (in my opinion) as to deciding if you overpaid (and thus, upside down) for a vehicle. Just my view though! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even though I will probably sell within three years I still won’t lease. I’m retired and put on less than 6K miles per year. At leases end I would have to pay the residual and sell the vehicle myself to make out. I agree buying a 2-3 year old model is the cheapest way to go. I saved $20K on my three year old Acura. But remember those are the most trouble and rattle free miles which has to be factored in. Higher end vehicles like my RDX or Land Cruiser stay tight longer. A mid-level Hyundai not so much.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,245 Posts
I can't even consider a lease ... the mileage fees would destroy my universe. We put on 50-60,000km/year on our vehicle commuting. "low mileage" lease today is 16,000km, standard is 20k, high mileage is 24k. We briefly considered it last year instead of buying the Equinox, but baking in 60,000km on a lease made the payments INSANE. So insane I've blocked the number from memory, we dismissed the idea so quickly. LOL But if you don't put on a lot of miles ... it's an option. Or if you're in a job where you can claim a vehicle lease as an expense on your taxes, there are ways it's a benefit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts