Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This YouTube review states that Hyundai says to leave your bed cover open while going through a car wash. The chemicals will do damage to the surface… Has anybody else heard this?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was scratching my head about that exact comment on the same video. Lol. I posted about it, and some of the folks had good suggestions you might also find insightful here:

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
408 Posts
I looked through the online owners manual and found the warning about car washes in section 5-117.
Among the things it says is to wash the cover with soap and water and use a soap with a PH value of 8 or less.

Reactions: hlacoss

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
486 Posts
I looked through the online owners manual and found the warning about car washes in section 5-117.
Among the things it says is to wash the cover with soap and water and use a soap with a PH value of 8 or less.
I'm going to run out and get a sample of the soap at my local car wash and send it off to a government lab to determine its PH. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good find and hard to believe they would build a car that "possibly" can't take a car wash...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was scratching my head about that exact comment on the same video. Lol. I posted about it, and some of the folks had good suggestions you might also find insightful here:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm going to run out and get a sample of the soap at my local car wash and send it off to a government lab to determine its PH. :rolleyes:
and send the bill to Hyundai :ROFLMAO:

This is much to do about nothing, its purely a CYA thing as noted in the post linked above.

The bed cover is aluminum (I assume). Some chemicals can corrode aluminum. Many vehicles have aluminum wheels and suspension components and likely have a similar warning if you read all the fine print.

Personally I wouldn't go thru any car wash - they are known to use recycled water and the brushes will scratch your paint. Just grab a bucket and wash yourself with any foaming soap from your local auto parts store. After a wash I like to spray and wipe down with Turtle Wax: Wax and Dry, it keeps water spots from forming and leaves behind a slick coating. Super easy to use, no buffing or elbow grease required.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and send the bill to Hyundai :ROFLMAO:

This is much to do about nothing, its purely a CYA thing as noted in the post linked above.

The bed cover is aluminum (I assume). Some chemicals can corrode aluminum. Many vehicles have aluminum wheels and suspension components and likely have a similar warning if you read all the fine print.

Personally I wouldn't go thru any car wash - they are known to use recycled water and the brushes will scratch your paint. Just grab a bucket and wash yourself with any foaming soap from your local auto parts store. After a wash I like to spray and wipe down with Turtle Wax: Wax and Dry, it keeps water spots from forming and leaves behind a slick coating. Super easy to use, no buffing or elbow grease required.
I can understand folks being concerned about their car finishes. Personally, I've gotten to the point with arthritic hands that I can't do much of anything. I'm not going to let the "scratches" in my life bother me. I am far too blessed to sweat the small things...

I can remember driving cars that had such large holes in the floor boards I could see pavement passing by Hahaha!!

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
Many cleaning product companies advertise their soaps and cleaners as ph neutral. Some will advertise the ph level as well. Not uncommon at all.

PH levels are 0 to 14. With 7 being neutral.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Is it wrong that I'm amused by the "pH of 8 or less"? Basically, what I'm reading there is it's FINE to wash your Santa Cruz with pure sulphuric acid (pH around 0.5 as used in lead-acid batteries, much less than 8!) but a mildly alkaline soap will eat your tonneau and void your warranty. Everybody clean your tonneau with battery acid and then go for a warranty replacement, stating the pH was less than 8! :devilish:

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
It has been a LONG time since High School science class. haha But aluminum corrosion happens with alkaline over 8 or 9. So I'm sure that is where they picked that number from.

I think aluminum reacts fine with things in the 4-8 ph range. Don't quote me on that lol

Also, the coating on the cover could be an issue as well. Be it discoloring or degradation of the coating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.