Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
Not my style, but nice work on the design! I can appreciate the artistry, even if it's not the way I'd want it. :)

Registered
Well < I have settled on the Hampton grey , it was a struggle finding all the colors and that stone blue was just to light.
But I want some color , so I think I am going to have the Door Garnish Painted a nice blue , and May add the Pin stripes i made on my firs attempt with PS . Just about any color you add to the Hampton Gray is going to POP .

I did make a few different ones : Let me know what you think ?
I tried to keep in minimal , The door Garnish is a Santa Cruz Accessory that can be easily painted..

Registered
Greetings Folks,
My name is Walt, and I just joined the forum today (Thursday July 7th, 2022).
I live in central South Carolina, and learned about the existence of the Hyundai Santa Cruz.
I have to say, the design , form and function s of this beautiful vehicle, is catching Hyundai's competition entirely off guard!
I am impressed more every time I see this guilded coach from a different angle!

So, are their any owners that have either praise or criticism about this new model?

Is the winch bumper and door steps actually available?

I may buy a Santa Cruz this weekend, unless you folks suggest otherwise.

Thanks for your time and input!

Respectfully,
Walt

Registered
22 Ice White SEL Activity AWD
They could use that in a Mad Max of Thunderdome remake lol.
Sidesteps are available yes, the winch bumper is just fantasy, anyone who buys this truck thinking they are gonna go 4x4 ing with it or do heavy duty truck stuff is only going to waste there time and money and probably do some real harm to the vehicle. This is not meant for that, read the brochure. Light off road and light duty, the same things you would do with a AWD SUV you can do with this,. You can tow a small boat or camper but your not gonna be pulling your buddies tractor out of a muddy ditch with it. It's comfortable and fun as heck to drive, I love it, but let's not get too carried away with the TRUCK part of it ;)

Registered
Is the winch bumper and door steps actually available?
I鈥檓 just hoping for a nudge bar some day in the future, but a winch? Never. There isn鈥檛 even a recovery point on the SC.
It drives like a luxury car due to being a unibody design, but that very detail prevents it from competing with mainstream traditional trucks in the off road department. However it is this very detail that caused me to buy it. It is quiet, agile and perfect for someone like me that needs the utility, but never goes off road.

Registered
I鈥檓 just hoping for a nudge bar some day in the future, but a winch? Never. There isn鈥檛 even a recovery point on the SC.
It drives like a luxury car due to being a unibody design, but that very detail prevents it from competing with mainstream traditional trucks in the off road department. However it is this very detail that caused me to buy it. It is quiet, agile and perfect for someone like me that needs the utility, but never goes off road.
A nudge bar would be great. Ive seen a few rav 4 lately with them. Even the Taurus/ fusion cars get them. Might at least avoid some front end damage from deer. What would it do to warranty though. It definitely affects leveling and has the potential to affect air bag function. Does the uptrim Cruz come with leveling headlights like most new trucks? Mine has the bad base lights so idk. Hyundai (along with subaru VW and a couple others) are pretty quick to void warranty. Ford/ GM/Mopar are much more lenient. I suppose 70 years of trucks, Mustang, Camaro, and Charger/Challenger being hacked up by their owners has left a mark. None are left stock. The first thing hyundai/ kia likes to boast is their warranty. But the first thing many people do is poke holes in it. The vehicle pictured definitely would be void

Even trucks today don't compete with real trucks. Two straight axles for articulation and strength and tire mounted at the extreme corners for approach/ departure is the only way to get a real wheeling machine. ..... drive a newer wrangler and you immediately know why capability takes a back seat. Lol. They drive bad. Ride bad. Get bad mileage.... but go great. Trucks today are for pulling and trash duty. Independent suspension, front end rake, no articulation. The f series even has active ground effects that drop down at speed to get better mileage.....they are getting broke off in bad weather and offroad. Lol. Dumb idea. Clearly FORD didn't "write the book on 4wd" as jeep used to say .

As far as the tires, adding 100lb (minimum) of rotational unsprung mass to tiny cv axles isn't usually a great plan, especially if you go offroad. And I hope it's not a weezy NA car like mine. Lol. Won't help the mpg either and that's one of the chief complaints on the Cruz. And again warranty issues. Cv axles, Htrac, and transmission issues etc. The wrangler that came stock with 255/75 tires have smaller axles and higher gearing than the wrangler with 275/70 tires (rubicon). Slapping considerably bigger tires on a vehicle is a rabbit hole that many people have gone down. Bigfoot 1 was built because Chandler first mounted big tires . Then the axles went. Then trans. Then needed more power etc etc.... then there is the lift that is required to fit them....

As far as winches, these things (new cars in general) aren't made for winches. How many amps do you have reserve. Most hyundai come with 120-150 amp alternators and small reserve hour battery . These are pretty amp intensive vehicles these days too. F series come with a 200 amp minimum and all but the cheapest trucks have 240 amp and ive had more than one come into my shop with dead modules and fried master fuse blocks from winch use. You can't kill batteries with the car running like the good old days. A small winch with no load is 50 amps or more of draw. A loaded small (8k) winch is 500 amps draw or more. Today's battery monitoring sensors (that funny thing on your ground cable at the battery) don't like winches. Not even getting into payload. A winch is 75lb or so. Mount is going to be 75 or so... you already don't have much payload. (Since hyundai didn't do like every other truck manufacturer and put the actual payload on the weights sticker for YOUR truck with its options... it CAN'T be the same for two trucks with different options and awd/fwd). Maybe just mount the Fairlead and 3 inches of cable with a hook. Lol. That would give the illusion. Then you have the issue of what would break first. Ive saw trucks break their frame by wincing. Which point would break in a vehicle that isn't a ladder frame? Front cradle maybe. Idk.

The one pictured looks great. But with the wheels/ tires, winch, tubes, lift, lights and all the bolted on goods does it have payload left for the driver? Looks capable but at that point you may have well bought a wrangler/ Bronco/ FJ and been capable rather than just look like it. I get this a lot at my shop. "I want to make my prius fast like my buddies supra" or "i want to turn my baja into a wheeling machine like your Bronco with 4 wheel steering sitting in 44s". Eventually you lose what the vehicle was made for by trying to make it do something it can't. With enough money it works but you end up a long way from the vehicle you started with and could have bought the supra and kept the prius or kept the baja and bought a wrangler. Lol

It's a nice vision though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts