1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
385 Posts
Umm... this vehicle will not sell that much. I'm not sure why there would be that expectation of it.

Is that actually the goal of Hyundai? Is that how much it would need to sell to be viable?

·
Registered
728 Posts
They can probably sell 50,000.... globally and entire production cycle.

I'll need to see more about it and its segment before having faith in better numbers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Put simply, 50k S/C sales is beyond possible, the question is: at what price does gas need to be. If gas goes up to and/or over $5.00 a gallon again; jackpot Hyundai! Maybe that is why they said production "in the next decade". The drop in gas prices might have put the thing on ice.

Remember what Geo Metros and 4 banger Ford Rangers were going for just a few years ago? Imagine if the S/C was for sale back then.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hyundai sold 46k Tucsons with a limited supply. They expect to sell 90k with the extra production capacity.

Yes I think 50k is possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hyundai sold 46k Tucsons with a limited supply. They expect to sell 90k with the extra production capacity.

Yes I think 50k is possible.
Surely some of the sales are because Tucson is an established nameplate, and consumers know the product is available.

I'm concerned that buyers will need some time to know the Santa Cruz is available, and how the Santa Cruz may be a viable product for some buyers out there. Hyundai is going to need to build name recognition for the Santa Cruz, and that is going to take time. Sales will not be optimal until knowledge of the Santa Cruz is commonplace, and that will take units being sold and seen out on the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surely some of the sales are because Tucson is an established nameplate, and consumers know the product is available.

I'm concerned that buyers will need some time to know the Santa Cruz is available, and how the Santa Cruz may be a viable product for some buyers out there. Hyundai is going to need to build name recognition for the Santa Cruz, and that is going to take time. Sales will not be optimal until knowledge of the Santa Cruz is commonplace, and that will take units being sold and seen out on the road.
To a degree yes, but I view the Santa Cruz as a relatively niche product and with niche products most of your volume comes from dedicated enthusiasts if you will. Those are the guys who drive sales. Yea you'll pick them up here and there from people seeing them out and about. You just watch this place explode when they announce production eventually...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just think that the Tucson is going to be a better selling vehicle than the Santa Cruz, so I'm not sure that its very enlightening to say "the Tuscon sold this so the Santa Cruz can sell that."

·
Registered
26 Posts
To a degree yes, but I view the Santa Cruz as a relatively niche product and with niche products most of your volume comes from dedicated enthusiasts if you will. Those are the guys who drive sales. Yea you'll pick them up here and there from people seeing them out and about. You just watch this place explode when they announce production eventually...
Santa Cruz better not be niche. Hyundai is not a niche brand. Hyundai needs enough sales to justify this investment and prioritization over other products they could possibly bring to market.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Minivans & SUVs were niche products at one point in time that became trends, then the norm. It is possible the same will happen here. Current market trends support that smaller and more efficient cars are becoming more popular for obvious reasons. This break we are seeing in gas prices won't last forever! It is only a matter of time before these monster sized trucks become an unsustainable product for people who just don't NEED them. The F150's spot as the number 1 selling vehicle will come to an end sooner or later as there is only so much they can do to raise the MPGs. Just look at what they have had to do to the all new 2015! Aluminum body and turbo charged small displacement engines. What is left for them to do for the next generation of this truck to meet CAFE regulations? Hydrogen powered?? Electric??? Carbon fiber???? With the average f/s truck price in the 40k+ they are already becoming novelties.

All the people who are buying full sized trucks mainly just because they "want" one are going to have to find something else to express their masculinity at some point which is why I feel it is important that the S/C retains its bold styling. Sure this thing won't compete with full size truck sales today, or even tomorrow, but in the not too distant future I strongly feel they will.

Keep a close eye on the mid-sized truck market. These trucks are the gate-way drug to products like the S/C.

*none of what I've said applies to anyone in Texas

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I see something like the Buick Encore sell 49k in 2014 and so far this year through April they've sold 20k which puts them on pace for 80k this year, the SC has to be able to do 50k. The Encore is a sub-compact CUV that's over a foot shorter than the the SC, starts at $24k and well equipped its over $30k. This is from Buick - a lower volume semi-premium brand. Hyundai is a high volume brand and the Santa Cruz is a crossover based pickup truck.. in the USA... the land of crossovers and pickups. If done correctly (maintains bold styling, comfortable seating for 4, bed with weather tight cover etc.) Hyundai has a hit on their hands.

As TxHotrod mentioned, CAFE requirements are only going to get tougher. The only way to meet those requirements is to build a well rounded fleet of vehicles where the more fuel efficient ones sell in higher volumes. With the SC, Hyundai will get the jump on something everyone else will eventually need to do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
cute utes are in, I'm not sure you can take the success of the Buick Encore with urban elves and extrapolate it to SC.
Why not? The SC is practically a cute ute with a bed. The same type of people buying up those smaller CUVs instead of larger SUVs will be going for the SC instead of larger trucks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Why not? The SC is practically a cute ute with a bed. The same type of people buying up those smaller CUVs instead of larger SUVs will be going for the SC instead of larger trucks.
That's something which should also bring into question how many of those CUV owners just need it for themselves and/or 1 other person, even more of a cross over to the SC.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As much as Hyundai is pushing this with "millenials", I think empty nesters will also be a major portion of SC of buyers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
As much as Hyundai is pushing this with "millenials", I think empty nesters will also be a major portion of SC of buyers.
That's just probably who they want to make it seem for, the younger crowd, since it seems making a product targeted towards the younger crowd helps to pull in the older crowd as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I entirely agree. Marketing likes to portray a product as "young" because people at any age will buy something with a youthful image. If the product has a geriatric image, the young folks will run.

In other news, this article claims Hyundai's sales are suffering from a lack of trucks and SUVs. Seems the Santa Cruz cannot come fast enough:

Hyundai Group slips amid shift to big SUVs, crossovers

Hyundai is hurting with its sedan-heavy lineup as consumers gravitate toward SUVs and crossovers.

“May proved to be a bit difficult for us as it appears more customers were out looking for big trucks and SUVs than cars,” Bob Pradzinski, vice president of national sales at Huyndai Motor America, said in a statement today.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just don't see an urban elf from brooklyn turning in her free charge white BMW X1 for the Santa Cruz. While it may not be a 'truck' in the traditional sense of the word it still projects that image somewhat...IMO

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts