Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Lifted Or Lowered?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Limited
332 Posts
I don't mind either. Both lifted and lowered could look great if done right

I enjoy the handling of the SC. If lowering it could improve the handling without hurting the dynamics and load capacities, I'd be all for it. Sadly, that is probably hard, if not impossible to do. Especially with the tow rating the 2.5T/AWD combo is capable of from the factory.

· Registered
'23 Limited AWD Blue Stone
2,536 Posts
What @Mike86merc said. A touch lower always looks better but I think stock is fine. I specifically stopped looking at Rangers due to their pre-lifted look. I know that off roader vibe is very popular now but I want an easy to load vehicle and lifting it kills that aspect quickly.

· Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,997 Posts
I like the "look" of both lifted and lowered, but will be keeping my SC stock. I may experiment with different wheels and tires once the OEM ones have served their duty for years.

· Registered
Black Limited
393 Posts
Without air ride, lowering is a losing battle. I didn't like my 2021 Ridgeline stock stance so I lowered it 2". The amount of drop gained compared to the amount of ride quality lost simply wasn't worth it. One of the reasons I sold it and got my SC Limited. It rides nice but the 17" wheels I have coming compared to the 20"s currently on it should give a smoother ride (I hope). At lease the the potholes we have here in the spring will have a harder time chewing up those fat sidewall 17"s and they'll be cheaper to replace than these 20"s in the future too. Plus I always loved the look of 5 spoke American Racing or Crager mags.

· Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,321 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all. I'm good with stock though. Should give me plenty of clearance over snow in the winter - and I know some of what it's good for off-road without bumping or scraping too.

· Registered
1,184 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Just an inch of lift seems about right to me, on par with the Subaru Wilderness. After spending a weekend in PA Elk Country doing some mild off-roading in a viewing area in Karthaus, PA I 'gently' found the ground clearance limitations, mostly just the tow hitch touching down or the front air dam gently nerfing. The factory Kumho tires were surprisingly competent in muddy/slick conditions and did great on the rocks and dirt. ( wanted to hate them as an excuse to swap 'em out, but they were up to the task. I have studded snow tires for winter and will probably just wear out the stock tires during the other seasons) I switched to 'snow' mode once in a twist-ditch scenario just to get the brake-assisted traction to kick in easier when I had a couple of wheels off. Over all it did great, but I would worry less about scrapping hard parts with a touch more ground clearance, and maybe a skid plate.

· Registered
2020 VW Tiguan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That doesn't look bad at all. I'm good with stock though. Should give me plenty of clearance over snow in the winter - and I know some of what it's good for off-road without bumping or scraping too.
Just an inch of lift seems about right to me, on par with the Subaru Wilderness. After spending a weekend in PA Elk Country doing some mild off-roading in a viewing area in Karthaus, PA I 'gently' found the ground clearance limitations, mostly just the tow hitch touching down or the front air dam gently nerfing. The factory Kumho tires were surprisingly competent in muddy/slick conditions and did great on the rocks and dirt. ( wanted to hate them as an excuse to swap 'em out, but they were up to the task. I have studded snow tires for winter and will probably just wear out the stock tires during the other seasons) I switched to 'snow' mode once in a twist-ditch scenario just to get the brake-assisted traction to kick in easier when I had a couple of wheels off. Over all it did great, but I would worry less about scrapping hard parts with a touch more ground clearance, and maybe a skid plate.
Great review! That almost convinced me not to lower the SC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.