Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
121 - 140 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It a new model and dealers are clueless. So sadly this kind of thing might take awhile to sort out. I would log all lost time (IE: time vehicle was not driveable) and make sure to document everything they tell you, get names and dates, be very specific because as time passes everyone's memory will fade on exactally what was said and done, ask for things in writing if possible. Assume your going to trial, collect evidence. Hope this gets sorted out quickly and to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, that was the third visit for this problem and there has been no diagnosis or repair so far. I hope that they figure out what is going on and that they fix the problem this time. But simply clearing the codes and hoping as they did the first two times is not what I call an attempt at a repair. I do agree that there has not yet been enough time to see if they can do better this time around. For everyone involved I hope they do.

I do have high expectations though - an unfortunate side effect of owning Toyota products for years and seldom visiting a dealership for any reason other than routine maintenance.
Your experiences with Toyota are not universal, we own two Toyotas, one is bulletproof and the other is a rolling piece of junk. Same year and same model, explain that, the problem child is the low mileage one.

From what I gather from this forum is there have been two serious problems noted, the dash warning lights and one transmission failure (quickly repaired) and some minor problems. While disappointing, the minor problems are easily fixable.

How many owners have experienced zero problems? Most people don’t post unless there is a problem and then everyone piles on with a comment, which makes it seem like every Santa Cruz sold is a rolling pile of junk.

Side note, would you be interested in buying a nice low mileage Toyota? Just kidding, the problems have been minor items. The drivetrain has had no issues, just seems like clockwork once a month or so I end up at the dealer asking for a minor issue to be addressed, which the dealer always takes care of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think that the majority of SC buyers have had zero problems, and that these are early teething problems for the SC. If I didn't have confidence in Hyundai I would not be considering a Santa Cruz. I would also like to own a Veloster N, a G70 or Stinger GT, a Telluride and several other products from Hyundai, Kia and Genesis, so I am definitely not a hater. IMO Hyundai is one of the most interesting and dynamic auto manufacturers around right now. My earlier post overstated my concerns for someone who paid big bucks for a cool truck and has been jerked around. No matter what, that is not acceptable.

I don't fault Hyundai for the occasional misstep on a brand new model, which is bound to happen. The transmission problem was taken care of quickly and efficiently, but not this dash failure. I think that a lot of it is the luck of the draw on the competence and interest of the individual dealer that you take your car to. There are lots of bad dealers selling every brand and they can make any experience either great or terrible.

BTW - I didn't mean to say that Toyota is perfect. In fact every Toyota truck that I have owned has had rust issues ranging from minor to catastrophic. But Toyota took care of them and treated me well and I hope that is my experience with Hyundai as well.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
The problem with the dash lighting up, personal opinion, is that electronic gremlins can be an absolute NIGHTMARE to diagnose. Especially when they're intermittent/transient with no clear common cause. It could be one bad wire in a harness somewhere not making proper contact SOMETIMES. But if it's not doing anything bad when they're searching for it, you'd almost have to replace every wire in the vehicle to really find/solve it. That's one of the reasons I'm still a fan of the old, simple vehicles (while driving my loaded Ultimate ... i fully understand the duality of it.) - much easier to track down gremlins, because there is less to go wrong in the first place.

When it comes to weird electrical issues, it may ultimately be the best solution to let it go to lemon law for replacement. That sucks, especially with the wait times to get one of these things, but may be the only way it gets resolved too.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It could be one bad wire in a harness somewhere not making proper contact SOMETIMES. But if it's not doing anything bad when they're searching for it, you'd almost have to replace every wire in the vehicle to really find/solve it.
This +1

I had an odd issue with infotainment system in my C7 blacking out. When it happens you lose the backup camera so its kind of important. The radio also dies, those things are not related but everything that shows on the screen is controlled by various modules and miles of wiring. In the end it turned out to be a loose connector. No code would ever tell you this. I unplugged the harness and plugged it back - problem solved and over 2 years later zero issues. Before it was totally random, it could work for weeks perfectly or die 3 days in a row. Sometimes restarting the car fixed it, other times not.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The problem with the dash lighting up, personal opinion, is that electronic gremlins can be an absolute NIGHTMARE to diagnose.
Very true and I suspect that will be the case with this SC. I write software for a living and randomly occurring bugs which can't be reproduced by a known set of circumstances are virtually impossible to find.

I agree that a bad pin or connector are likely culprits and I understand how hard that can be to diagnose. But I also know that if I laid down over $40k USD for a new vehicle I would definitely expect to be able to drive it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very true and I suspect that will be the case with this SC. I write software for a living and randomly occurring bugs which can't be reproduced by a known set of circumstances are virtually impossible to find.

I agree that a bad pin or connector are likely culprits and I understand how hard that can be to diagnose. But I also know that if I laid down over $40k USD for a new vehicle I would definitely expect to be able to drive it.
Your experiences with Toyota are not universal, we own two Toyotas, one is bulletproof and the other is a rolling piece of junk. Same year and same model, explain that, the problem child is the low mileage one.

From what I gather from this forum is there have been two serious problems noted, the dash warning lights and one transmission failure (quickly repaired) and some minor problems. While disappointing, the minor problems are easily fixable.

How many owners have experienced zero problems? Most people don’t post unless there is a problem and then everyone piles on with a comment, which makes it seem like every Santa Cruz sold is a rolling pile of junk.

Side note, would you be interested in buying a nice low mileage Toyota? Just kidding, the problems have been minor items. The drivetrain has had no issues, just seems like clockwork once a month or so I end up at the dealer asking for a minor issue to be addressed, which the dealer always takes care of.
Makes me wonder what the percentage of total SC ownership is, that is represented on this forum, and what if any non-forum reported issues are out there with the balance of other early adopters.

·
Registered
2022 White Santa Cruz Limited
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Okay spoke with the dealer this evening. They state they are waiting on a hyundai field rep to get back with them to tell them the next steps. I don't know how much of that is true but I guess it's a waiting game.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Okay spoke with the dealer this evening. They state they are waiting on a hyundai field rep to get back with them to tell them the next steps. I don't know how much of that is true but I guess it's a waiting game.
Just a thought, but if you pressure them for a loaner, they will be more motivated to fix the vehicle faster because every day costs them money and another human that monitors such expenses will be checking in whether or not the loaner is still required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem with the dash lighting up, personal opinion, is that electronic gremlins can be an absolute NIGHTMARE to diagnose. Especially when they're intermittent/transient with no clear common cause. It could be one bad wire in a harness somewhere not making proper contact SOMETIMES. But if it's not doing anything bad when they're searching for it, you'd almost have to replace every wire in the vehicle to really find/solve it. That's one of the reasons I'm still a fan of the old, simple vehicles (while driving my loaded Ultimate ... i fully understand the duality of it.) - much easier to track down gremlins, because there is less to go wrong in the first place.

When it comes to weird electrical issues, it may ultimately be the best solution to let it go to lemon law for replacement. That sucks, especially with the wait times to get one of these things, but may be the only way it gets resolved too.
I was a Honda tech for 22 years. Walking Bear got it. A quick 2-minute repair after 2 days of diagnosis.
We had a Kia Soul for 8 years, a Santa Fe sport for 6 years (current car) and a Kona turbo for 3.5 years (current car # 2). Not counting oil changes my only expense was a light bulb on the Kia ( not a headlight) costing $ 2.65.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Talked to the dealer today... I'm really no closer to a solution. The advisor told me the technician was in communication with the rep about the direction to go with the repair. So a very vague response. Why is it that they never call me, I always have to call them...anyway I called hyundai case services to see if they could tell me what's going on and again very vague. I was told my case has been elevated and is under review. They said they would attach a note stating I had called. THATS IT!? sigh. Very disappointed I will be making my first payment on a truck that is not in my posession. Thanks for listening guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I understand your anger.

The other side of this disaster is that the tech working on your car might spend several days on it and if he finds and repairs it he might get paid 1.5 or 2 hours on it because Hyundai Corporate office declares that the diagnosis shouldn't take any longer. That is if they get paid "flat rate". If they get paid an hourly wage clocking in on a time clock it might be different.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
I get it. I used to be a service manager myself and I get it. I just know I called customers with updates everyday if their repairs took multiple days. I just want some transparency with hyundai. I feel like I'm being kept out of the loop because they have no idea what's wrong with it. 15 more days and then the litigation begins.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I usually think that taking legal action should be our last recourse, but maybe not in this case. Of course there are the logistics of Hyundai's responsibility versus the dealer and relative reimbursement rates for different kinds of service, but in the long run that is not the owner's problem, it is Hyundai's.

The bottom line is that Hyundai sold a defective product and their response is inadequate in my opinion. Lemon laws were enacted because before them it was fairly common for dealers to blow off customers. If Hyundai does not step up and make this right soon I think this is a classic case of why these laws were created in the first place.

I agree that they don't seem to have a clue about what is wrong with your SC and right now they are just running out the clock. If that is not the case, then at the very least they are not effectively communicating with you.

Good luck Santacruising.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I understand your anger.

The other side of this disaster is that the tech working on your car might spend several days on it and if he finds and repairs it he might get paid 1.5 or 2 hours on it because Hyundai Corporate office declares that the diagnosis shouldn't take any longer. That is if they get paid "flat rate". If they get paid an hourly wage clocking in on a time clock it might be different.
They generally use "job codes" which define how long it should take, parts etc. Techs get paid by the hour, dealer gets reimbursed by job code (generally).

·
Registered
637 Posts
During the early days of the 'non-waterproof connector located under the bed drain' issue with Ridgelines, the number of cases was rising steadily at dealers all over the place, so Honda Corporate got involved.

So far, we only have one case here; true, we have a much smaller forum population. This may explain why the local dealer is on his own, so far. Also, it may soothe the worries of the rest of us somewhat, since the problem has the aroma (so far, anyway) of a one-off manufacturing error, rather than bad parts or design - cold comfort to @Santacruising, however.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Got a call from the dealer just now. Hyundai has told them to check all grounds. So obviously they are starting with the easy ones and working their way to behind the dash.
Many 12V electrical problems are created by bad grounds. I've had them in cars, boat, trailer, etc. Hopefully they find it soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I hope they find it. I was told by my attorney that if they don't fix it and we pursue litigation that it could be 3 to 5 months to settle the suit. That time frame doesn't include me recieving a repurchase or a replacement vehicle. So fingers crossed!

121 - 140 of 197 Posts