Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook so I won't recap all of it. But I purchased a SC Limited, AWD, DCT on Saturday and before it even made it home it had a transmission error come on the dash and wouldn't move. As of now the vehicle is being looked at to determine root cause. It has traveled only 3.6 miles further under its own power than it has been towed on a flat bed. Worst car buying experience of my entire life and I've owned 30+ vehicles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook so I won't recap all of it. But I purchased a SC Limited, AWD, DCT on Saturday and before it even made it home it had a transmission error come on the dash and wouldn't move. As of now the vehicle is being looked at to determine root cause. It has traveled only 3.6 miles further under its own power than it has been towed on a flat bed. Worst car buying experience of my entire life and I've owned 30+ vehicles.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience -- please keep us updated. FYI: I had a Kia Optima that turned out to be a lemon, but dealer took great care of us. Is your dealer giving you a vehicle to use while they investigate the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear of your bad experience -- please keep us updated. FYI: I had a Kia Optima that turned out to be a lemon, but dealer took great care of us. Is your dealer giving you a vehicle to use while they investigate the problem?
The selling dealer did offer a loaner and Hyundai direct did offer to reimburse me for a rental. The problem is this. No loaner or rental will be a vehicle that can tow. The vehicle I traded in was used to tow my motorcycle to events, it is the end of the season and I can't book any events because I don't know when I'll have access again to a vehicle that can tow.

Oh and the funniest part was I got a "Thank You" email automated of course from the sales manager just now. While the vehicle is sitting in their service bay and I'm still waiting for a call from the service manager to get details on what they know so far. All I've been told is that they're waiting on Trans fluid. Not why it needs trans fluid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The selling dealer did offer a loaner and Hyundai direct did offer to reimburse me for a rental. The problem is this. No loaner or rental will be a vehicle that can tow. The vehicle I traded in was used to tow my motorcycle to events, it is the end of the season and I can't book any events because I don't know when I'll have access again to a vehicle that can tow.

Oh and the funniest part was I got a "Thank You" email automated of course from the sales manager just now. While the vehicle is sitting in their service bay and I'm still waiting for a call from the service manager to get details on what they know so far. All I've been told is that they're waiting on Trans fluid. Not why it needs trans fluid.
I'm starting worry now! Hyundai Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT) Lawsuit Filed

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
Yes, they are indeed different transmissions - and several years older. Only time will tell how the wet 8 speed DCT holds up. So far, they either seem to be fine, or in a couple of cases now, failing almost immediately.

·
Registered
2022 White Santa Cruz Limited
117 Posts
I know exactly how how you feel. Cheated, unappreciated, taken advantage of and the list is endless. I mean I got a little more mileage on my SC limited. It's been out of service for 34 days now with no resolution in sight. Hang in there man hope its an easy fix.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
673 Posts
So far, they either seem to be fine, or in a couple of cases now, failing almost immediately.
This seems the most accurate description so far that I can observe purely from forum reporting.
If it were to fail, it would fail pretty much the first few hundred miles.
If you make it past a couple of 1000 miles, chances are yours is okay.

I've read other make and models that suffer such fate had incorrect transmission fluid, or incorrect fluid level from factory.
I was going to change my DCT gear oil soon, but unfortunately the OEM fluid is backordered with no ETA at all. If I do end up changing it soon, I'll report back how much I can drain from gravity and compare that to the expected volume. Hopefully it's not bone dry in there

·
Registered
57 Posts
If i’m right the DCT in the santa cruz is a 8 speeds. The lawsuit is talking about the old 7 speeds DCT.
True, but hyundai would not throw out years of development. They would "improve" upon it. so they added a gear and cooled it. I would bet the failure is electrical (software) on some and mechanical in a few.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ohhh please let this lawsuit go through. This hesitation in acceleration is one of the reasons I traded in the car. Hyundai had reached out to me to survey on any issues with my 2017 about a year the end of 2018 start of 2019. I loved the car and when it did not hesitate it was a fun car to drive, Also using sport mode seemed to alleviate the issue. Since the recall came out I have not really been driving it so the wife would use it to run around town but I had not had to have it service. ****, the first dealer I went to try to play off the recall as my fault and wanted to give me a reduced amount on the trade-in. Well I told them they can fix it as their car or they can fix it Monday while it is mine but that expense will come out of their pocket, either way, they finally offered me what I wanted and I walked away to buy from someplace else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's exactly why I steered away from the DCT. I am currently in the lawsuit for the Ford Focus DCT issues and it seems like this is more typical than not for DCT. Plus, I do not love how they shift a little rougher and have hesitation issues. My AWD SEL has such a smooth ride in comparison to my Focus and it has plenty of power. I passed a guy driving slow on a back road without any issues at all. Take my rant with a grain of salt because this is what is called "confirmation bias". I am speaking with emotions. 😁

·
Registered
306 Posts
Who is making those DCT's...??.. Nissan/Ansin?

Reactions: FFEMT6

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's exactly why I steered away from the DCT. I am currently in the lawsuit for the Ford Focus DCT issues and it seems like this is more typical than not for DCT.
Please....Those were old technology Dry Clutch units. Most every manufacturer in the world now uses new tech wet clutches including some of the highest performance cars on the planet. What happened 4-5 years ago is no indicator of the current trans technology. I've had 5 wet clutch DCT's from 4 different manufacturers and they've all been flawless..
Move forward or stick with your slushboxes...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please....Those were old technology Dry Clutch units. Most every manufacturer in the world now uses new tech wet clutches including some of the highest performance cars on the planet. What happened 4-5 years ago is no indicator of the current trans technology. I've had 5 wet clutch DCT's from 4 different manufacturers and they've all been flawless..
Right if it is good enough for Bugatti then who are we to question the durability. Besides Hyundai what other vehicles did you drive with with the Wet DCT transmission?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Right if it is good enough for Bugatti then who are we to question the durability. Besides Hyundai what other vehicles did you drive with with the Wet DCT transmission?
I had a 2012 GTI, a 2020 Corvette C8, a 2017 Porsche turbo PDK, and now 2 Hyundais....A 2021 Veloster N DCT and the SC...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very well. Did not know the wet vs dry DCT situation. I am still traumatized from that dry DCT that was in my Focus. :LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, for any of those that have been following my story I have a significant update. Finally someone from Hyundai the manufacturer finally called me and talked to me. It is still early in the resolution process, but he was extremely understanding. They are now working with the dealer to find a full resolution to this issue. It made such a difference to simply have the opportunity to talk to them and to hear that they too want to find a way to resolve this issue fully. Not just repair the the Santa Cruz and move on. I want to thank all of you on here, because I am confident that without social media this situation would've been much different. I will report back after we find the end resolution, but again my confidence in owning a Hyundai has gone up significantly since the initial incident occurred. Stay tuned for more...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts