Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are you expecting a replacement vehicle?

If so, I'd wait until you get one before popping the cork.
There are four possible scenarios that I outlined as "Acceptable Solutions" and Hyundai agreed. So one of the four I'm confident will happen. Don't know which one yet, but the fact that they care and are working very hard to find one of the four means a lot.

·
Registered
2022 White Santa Cruz Limited
117 Posts
There are four possible scenarios that I outlined as "Acceptable Solutions" and Hyundai agreed. So one of the four I'm confident will happen. Don't know which one yet, but the fact that they care and are working very hard to find one of the four means a lot.
I'm happy to hear your having a better experience than I am with hyundai. I'm am just shocked they got in touch with that fast. I didn't hear from hyundai for over a month after my initial complaint. Good luck man looks like they are going to make things right for ya.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm happy to hear your having a better experience than I am with hyundai. I'm am just shocked they got in touch with that fast. I didn't hear from hyundai for over a month after my initial complaint. Good luck man looks like they are going to make things right for ya.
Thanks and it wasn’t without effort and persistence plus a very extreme situation. I certainly hope no one else had such a significant failure in such a short time period. I also hope that given the level of attention this has now received that no one else will have to go through it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The selling dealer did offer a loaner and Hyundai direct did offer to reimburse me for a rental. The problem is this. No loaner or rental will be a vehicle that can tow. The vehicle I traded in was used to tow my motorcycle to events, it is the end of the season and I can't book any events because I don't know when I'll have access again to a vehicle that can tow.

Oh and the funniest part was I got a "Thank You" email automated of course from the sales manager just now. While the vehicle is sitting in their service bay and I'm still waiting for a call from the service manager to get details on what they know so far. All I've been told is that they're waiting on Trans fluid. Not why it needs trans fluid.
I am getting pretty sure...that at whatever workstation the wet DCT is filled with fluid...there is a serious proble.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry, I realized I haven't posted an update over here. I did on Facebook so sorry for the repeat if anyone is following both. Anyway, given the situation it doesn't sound like I'll ever know. They simply expedited a new transmission to the dealer which is supposed to arrive today. There are other steps being taken too, so at this point I still don't know what the end resolution will be. If I get the vehicle back though it will be with a brand new transmission, not a repair. So the dealership won't likely be the ones diagnosing or repairing that trans. It will simply be pull the trans and replace it with an entirely new unit. I will post another update as soon as I get one. I am hoping for a call today with some progress and hopefully a better idea of when I'll actually be able to drive a Santa Cruz again.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,119 Posts
A new transmission is the right call. That way you won't be left wondering if the repair was done correctly or if the original damage would be the cause of more issues down the road. Sucks that you're without it so long, but at least it should be resolved for you once the part comes in. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There is no good reason for Hyundai to persist using this transmission. None.
I don’t know the details of this particular DCT but I will say that for me personally it was one of the selling points of this vehicle. If it didn’t have it I don’t know that I would have purchased it if it didn’t have it. I know this probably isn’t the majority of people’s opinion. For me though it fits the “non truck” personality of the vehicle. In fact I’d love an N version with it or even a high performance Genesis branded version. But this is me wanting nothing more than a bed to put my gas can and generator in. Other than that my Audi SQ5 which I also wish had a dual clutch met my needs. The DCT for me personally since I first experienced it in an A3 many years ago is the manual that is livable in heavy traffic conditions. Again I know I’m probably not the majority but oddly enough the component I like the best is the one that broke.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I doubt that they will replace the vehicle. It is more likely that they will replace the DCT, as they have in other SCs with transmission failures. The wet clutches were intended to address earlier DCT failures, but it does not appear to be working out very well.

Not even making it home from the dealership sets a new low for an unreliable transmission in my experience.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I doubt that they will replace the vehicle. It is more likely that they will replace the DCT, as they have in other SCs with transmission failures. The wet clutches were intended to address earlier DCT failures, but it does not appear to be working out very well.

Not even making it home from the dealership sets a new low for an unreliable transmission in my experience.

Good luck!
I wish him luck also.

I think there are two issues here: 1. Is the DCT appropriate for a vehicle with truck-like aspirations? (Towing, rough road travel etc.) and 2. Hyundai appears to have a production QC issue. Specifically that the trans fluid is not filled to specs.

The first is easily answered. "NO." It's great for a high performance vehicle, but the SC was intended to have a larger usage envelop.

The second should be easily remedied...but we don't know about personnel issues, either in the assembly plant or trans manufacturer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wish him luck also.

I think there are two issues here: 1. Is the DCT appropriate for a vehicle with truck-like aspirations? (Towing, rough road travel etc.) and 2. Hyundai appears to have a production QC issue. Specifically that the trans fluid is not filled to specs.

The first is easily answered. "NO." It's great for a high performance vehicle, but the SC was intended to have a larger usage envelop.

The second should be easily remedied...but we don't know about personnel issues, either in the assembly plant or trans manufacturer.
I agree that there is a QC issue. We have heard from at least three SC buyers about DCT issues. In two of those the dealership indicated it was waiting for the transmission fluid from Hyundai. That causes me to wonder if:
1. No transmission fluid was added to the tranny before it shipped out. or
2. Someone put hydraulic transmission meant for the other transmission in the DCT
None of these things would surprise me as I've worked for a megacorp and have met many fellow empoyees who are:
1. incompetent
2. extremely lackadaisical.
3. Just don't have much of a work ethic.
Personally I don't think it is a transmission issue but a people issue but I could be wrong. I have been before: ;-)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree that there is a QC issue. We have heard from at least three SC buyers about DCT issues. In two of those the dealership indicated it was waiting for the transmission fluid from Hyundai. That causes me to wonder if:
2. Someone put hydraulic transmission meant for the other transmission in the DCT
None of these things would surprise me as I've worked for a megacorp and have met many fellow empoyees who are:
1. incompetent
Personally I don't think it is a transmission issue but a people issue but I could be wrong. I have been before: ;-)
Sorry I meant to say "hydraulic transmission fluid"

·
Registered
637 Posts
1. incompetent
You omitted:
4. People with grievances (maybe labor, maybe personal) who want to "show them what happens when they mess with me!"
OTOH, I assume that every operation can be traced back to an individual worker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't give up on the DCT. We have a 2018 Kona turbo with DCT and zero problems, pure joy to drive.
I would request an extension of the 10-year warranty for my problem and celebrate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Informative and reasoned posts...but no one addressed the fact a DCT and truck work just don't mix. Sort of like buying a diesel to drive to the supermarket...and church on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Informative and reasoned posts...but no one addressed the fact a DCT and truck work just don't mix. Sort of like buying a diesel to drive to the supermarket...and church on Sunday.
The SC isn't a truck - its a CUV with a bed. People are not blowing this transmission out towing, hauling heavy loads, or going off road (yet), aka truck stuff - they are seeing problems in normal, everyday driving. So this isn't an application or use problem, these trannys just aren't assembled correctly from the get go.

I think the big challenge the DCT faces long term is low speed crawling - it basically has to slip the clutch like a traditional 3 pedal manual. Long term that can't be good. Yes the wet clutch is better then a dry clutch but still not sure its the ideal transmission for low speed tasks, especially in slippery or heavy load conditions. Once it gets going and shifts into 2nd the DCT should hold up fine... in theory but time will tell.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts