Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Two different things here IMHO -

MSRP = Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price... notice the word "suggested". Dealers will sell the vehicle at whatever price customers are willing to pay. Thus in the beginning (when supply is low) I fully expect some dealers to charge over sticker looking to take advantage of consumers that can't control themselves and just buy the newest shiny thing on the lot. However at the same time many dealers will happily sell at MSRP or even under to get more orders and move metal, gaining profit by playing the volume game, well provided they can get units from the factory.

Now if the MSRP is too high then yes the vehicle will have trouble in the market place. It must be competitively priced. Hyundai is known as a "value brand" that normally under cuts others, especially Japanese ones like Honda, Toyota and Subaru. The problem is what is the competition? Currently nobody really sells anything like this UTE / SAV. Since its a version of the Tuscon I assume the SC will have similar pricing, with maybe a slight premium because it has added versatility.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I imagine there is quite a bit of nail-biting going on as they try to get this product launch right, especially coming off a year-and-a-half of such unprecedended 'wierdness.'

Will this little niche 'trucklette' market actually turn into a hidden goldmine? They cannot delay launch, because the Maverick may be biting that same apple. The temptation to bump the price will be enormous, given the current frantic meltdown in the truck 'em up market.

Careers are in the balance here, so maybe they'll go low just to assure an initial buyer acceptance.

Perhaps the lack of any visible movement by Hyundai means they are still deciding if they want to back out of this particular crazy market. Or, perhaps it is to build suspense/interest among us potential customers.

Or, not.

Reactions: *Darci*

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wrote this in another post....But I swear to gosh the Tucson pricing went up overnight... and if it did I think they are making way for the Cruz pricing..seems like it went up $1000 Which means maybe the base Cruz will be $23995

·
Registered
315 Posts
PS I won't be price gouged ...MSRP at the max or I'll walk I reserved a Maverick just in case XLT Hybrid W/Lux pkg, moonroof and spray in bedliner for $26915

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got a story for ya.......... I called three Ford Dealers to order(Since I already reserved) the Maverick.........1. $1000 to order.......2. $3000 to order.....3. $500 Since number 1. kept in contact I told them I wasn't going to tie up $1000 for months...So he asked how much? I said $0 So he wanted to talk to his manager..So a few minute later he said they were ok with $0 to order, So the next day I was there with my DL and we put it in.. but as you know there are so many disclaimers that nothing is final until it shows up... But I do have the order with a $27100 Price...(They charged me for the full size spare which comes with the Lux pkg) I'll get them to remove that when the truck shows up.. I feel better having a written price on paper for the truck, it will make it harder for them to add crap on...
But honestly I'm up in the air with the Cruz...I don't like the MPG but I like the design, and with it hitting the street sooner than the Ford, I might be a happy Cruz owner before the Ford goes into production in Aug....maybe
Dislikes for the Cruz Vs. Maverick:
Bed slightly bigger on the Maverick...good
MPG there is no comparison
Price..........I'm sure that the SEL (Similar to the XLT) will be more Money and I'm all about MPG and Money the reason it I'm looking at this as my last Truck buy..I'm 64 and I want my last truck to be my everything...
I don't need a race car 191 horse power is plenty...Not sure of that with a CVS tranny will it be at least snappy in town?
I don't need a fullsize/ gas-hog truck so either would be great but the Ford wins out in MPG

Now the Cruz is the winner in style and interior ... I hate the weird color of seats in the Maverick and door panel.
I just hope the Ford doesn't feel cheap inside.. like the escape...

So I guess for me is the test drive...the feel...etc..,

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
If Hyundai dealers add on the LOA, the Santa Cruz will sit on the lots until they remove it. You make some valid points, @CASD. I just cannot bring myself to purchase a Ford without a lengthy warranty. If the SC is large enough and the price is not too high, then I could be swayed toward the Hyundai. I just bought a 2021 Ridgeline for $38K, so I won't move down into a Santa Cruz for more than around $35-36K for the Limited version. Pricing is the key for Hyundai. The Maverick just hit Hyundai with a gut punch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If Hyundai dealers add on the LOA, the Santa Cruz will sit on the lots until they remove it. You make some valid points, @CASD. I just cannot bring myself to purchase a Ford without a lengthy warranty. If the SC is large enough and the price is not too high, then I could be swayed toward the Hyundai. I just bought a 2021 Ridgeline for $38K, so I won't move down into a Santa Cruz for more than around $35-36K for the Limited version. Pricing is the key for Hyundai. The Maverick just hit Hyundai with a gut punch.
I'm thinking the same. If you can get into a Ridgeline for $38k (and AWD is standard on all trims of the Ridgeline now...), and a fully spec'd Maverick is around $33k I think, they need to land in the middle. If a Limited AWD Santa Cruz is much over $35k I think they'll have trouble selling long term after the initial hype dies down.

And each day they keep messing around not releasing pricing and trim info the hype dies a little more... the volume of info and activity online with the Maverick is incredible compared to the Santa Cruz. And the SC is starting to roll off the assembly line already! Crazy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a 2006 Ridgeline... Sold it for a Chevy Avalanche Black Diamond LTZ.........BIG Mistake ... I want a Ridgeline but can't bring myself to a $35-40,000 truck...Thats why the Ford and Hyundai fit the bill perfectly.
But pricing is the key for the Cruz..
And I agree for the extended Warranty...I might just do that

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm thinking the same. If you can get into a Ridgeline for $38k (and AWD is standard on all trims of the Ridgeline now...), and a fully spec'd Maverick is around $33k I think, they need to land in the middle. If a Limited AWD Santa Cruz is much over $35k I think they'll have trouble selling long term after the initial hype dies down.

And each day they keep messing around not releasing pricing and trim info the hype dies a little more... the volume of info and activity online with the Maverick is incredible compared to the Santa Cruz. And the SC is starting to roll off the assembly line already! Crazy.
I agree...It's Marketing 101...So, I'm sure Hyundai had some idea of Maverick's pricing as it was being tossed around for months but maybe they didn't believe Ford could do a Hybrid for $19995...
So I'm sure they got caught with their pants down, But you would think they would have plan "B" just in case the rumors where real.. And if they think waiting for the 4th to annouce pricing is a good idea...Think again.. People are jumping ship because of the delay.. They only thing that could save a 4th of July price launch would be $19995 base price

·
Registered
156 Posts
They only thing that could save a 4th of July price launch would be $19995 base price
I agree, that would be HUGE to come in around $20k for the base model, but I don't see that happening.... Plus, I think a lot of the minimalist trucklet crowd (esp. governments/fleets) would still go for the Maverick due to the MPG.

I think the SC's success really hinges on keeping the mid/top trims priced aggressively. The first place the SC and Mav overlap in my mind is the XLT Maverick with the EcoBoost motor, which is $23,365 plus the destination fee which gets it just under $25k. I think the non-turbo, SE could (and should) start right about there.... from there, just keep nudging the pricing up more or less in line with the Maverick as it is optioned. Hyundai's advantage there will be the SC will have the advantage in materials, style, performance, warranty compared to the Mav (IMO).

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
I just hope the Ford doesn't feel cheap inside.. like the escape...

So I guess for me is the test drive...the feel...etc..,
Did you drive the Ford Escape with the same engine and trans while you were there? If so, what did you think?

I'm trying to do the same for a 2022 Hyundai Tucson SE today. Found a dealer not too far way that lists 30+ on their website.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you drive the Ford Escape with the same engine and trans while you were there? If so, what did you think?

I'm trying to do the same for a 2022 Hyundai Tucson SE today. Found a dealer not too far way that lists 30+ on their website.
That was 3-4 years ago
I never thought trying the Fords/Hyundais with the same engine/trannies is the Tucson the same interior as the Cruz?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
is the Tucson the same interior as the Cruz?
The base SE Santa Cruz is said to have the same dash and center console as the 2022 Tucson; hooded analog gauges and 8" center screen with knobs and dials. I think the seats will be a bit different design.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't understanding any flip flopping - you can't drive either vehicle at this point so this just a drag race on paper. What we do know is the SC will hit dealers first, with the Maverick showing up later on. While Ford clearly has the advantage with all their pricing and options ready to go. Ford will also have the lower price for sure. As mentioned by @treybrad its the mid-range and upper models where the price vs value will play out depending on options.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My flip-flopping is due to price not being released. I want a new car ASAP. The minute the prices are released, I will be ready to flip to a new vehicle that hopefully is ready to go or flop to my current DD vehicle and wait for other 2022 vehicle models to be announced; if it's priced too high. Not interested in the Maverick at all unless they make a XL or XLT "AWD" 2.5L non-turbo Hybrid, then I will consider it after a test drive. Heading out now to test drive a 2022 Tucson SE or SEL. They both have the same 2.5L naturally aspirated engine and 8-speed slushbox. That should fill in another piece of the puzzle for me power wise.

Might try the Ford dealer at this new location to test drive an Escape AWD hybrid if they have one too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm not flipping or Flopping LOL I've reserved both..only the Man upstairs knows which one I'll end up with, I like them both and dislike both for reasons..so for me it's a wash but of course if the Dealer tries some funny business I'll move on to the next.

·
Registered
90 Posts
PS I won't be price gouged ...MSRP at the max or I'll walk I reserved a Maverick just in case XLT Hybrid W/Lux pkg, moonroof and spray in bedliner for $26915
Ford is Gouging too!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ford is Gouging too!
For me, I guess I'm lucky, they tried to nail me on a deposit but I refused so they took $0 deposit, I guess maybe they hadn't had too many Maverick reserves and they wanted in on the band wagon?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts