Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review video from Alex on Autos just dropped. At the 5:30 marks he starts to talk about the payload rating but he stops the video to add in more detailed information that he received from Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Really good review by him and finally addressing the payload... but it may be too late as the 600lb limit is already stuck in everyone's mind. I don't even know what the rating is on my Dakota but I loaded with landscaping bricks once to the point that it basically bottomed out the rear suspension. Luckily I wasn't going far. Really looking into how these leveling shocks work and how it helps with a trailer attached.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
Really good review by him and finally addressing the payload... but it may be too late as the 600lb limit is already stuck in everyone's mind. I don't even know what the rating is on my Dakota but I loaded with landscaping bricks once to the point that it basically bottomed out the rear suspension. Luckily I wasn't going far. Really looking into how these leveling shocks work and how it helps with a trailer attached.
Glad that is all cleared up, but is there really that much space in the bed of the SC to carry much over 600 lbs? I mean, you could haul gold bars around, but most things don't weigh that much relative to their volume.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I see this payload thing just like the infamous (and lame) excuse of "well it can't haul sheets plywood between the wheel wells so forget it". How many people really NEED to haul plywood every weekend? I had to do this ONCE because of a hurricane and my little Ranger Splash was up to the task - I put the tailgate down and had the wood in at a slight angle.

To me a smaller bed just means I'm not the one that gets a phone call when someone's friend of a friend wants to move heavy furniture up two flights of stairs :p

·
Registered
654 Posts
To me a smaller bed just means I'm not the one that gets a phone call when someone's friend of a friend wants to move heavy furniture up two flights of stairs :p
YES! Yet another plus for the Santa Cruz!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, so driver, one passenger and you got a load capacity of approximately 1,000 pounds or 1/2 ton. I don’t know that you’ll get that much in this bed.
When you’re thinking about loads, just think how much 650 - 1,000 pounds really is. Fertilizer is sold in 40 pound bags, that’s 16 - 25 bags. A trip to Home Depot or a bunch of camping equipment shouldn’t be a problem.
650 pounds doesn’t sound like much, but that’s actually a pretty decent load.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Things I’ve hauled in truck beds (some in my Baja):
Off-road motorcycles (dirt bikes) are 200-300 pounds.
Sport bikes 300-500 lbs.
Adventure bikes are generally below 600.
Some Harley hogs and Indians can reach 900 lbs. I wouldn’t try to put one of those in a SC anyway.
ATVs range 300-700 lbs.
Portable generators can weigh 50-350 pounds. A 10,000 watt diesel generator is 950 lbs dry.
Vehicle-mounted professional grade welding machines range from 600 to 2000+ lbs. Hobby level portables are 50-350.
A small block fully dressed Chevy V8 can weigh 650 lbs (LS6 is 460 😎).

Hope that offers some perspective. Trailering is always an option!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Things I’ve hauled in truck beds (some in my Baja):
Off-road motorcycles (dirt bikes) are 200-300 pounds.
Sport bikes 300-500 lbs.
Adventure bikes are generally below 600.
Some Harley hogs and Indians can reach 900 lbs. I wouldn’t try to put one of those in a SC anyway.
ATVs range 300-700 lbs.
Portable generators can weigh 50-350 pounds. A 10,000 watt diesel generator is 950 lbs dry.
Vehicle-mounted professional grade welding machines range from 600 to 2000+ lbs. Hobby level portables are 50-350.
A small block fully dressed Chevy V8 can weigh 650 lbs (LS6 is 460 😎).

Hope that offers some perspective. Trailering is always an option!
The hardest I worked my Baja (other than many miles of towing) was hauling 15 rolls of sod (appx. 600lbs) every day for a month. Santa Cruz will never see that, cause I'll never sod another lawn, I'm to **** old for that B.S. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts