Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE, AWD, Sahara Sand color
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the SE trim level with the key fob. I had an auto locking experience the other day. I had the vehicle locked, and stood at the tail gate and unlocked it with the fob. Opened and closed the tail gate, and about 12 seconds later the vehicle locked it self. All doors and the tail gate locked. I have tested this to make sure it wasn't something else. I did not know that it would re-lock itself like that... good to know.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
226 Posts
I have the SE trim level with the key fob. I had an auto locking experience the other day. I had the vehicle locked, and stood at the tail gate and unlocked it with the fob. Opened and closed the tail gate, and about 12 seconds later the vehicle locked it self. All doors and the tail gate locked. I have tested this to make sure it wasn't something else. I did not know that it would re-lock itself like that... good to know.
If you unlock the vehicle and don't start it within some relatively short amount of time (don't recall exactly how long it is) it will lock itself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you unlock the vehicle and don't start it within some relatively short amount of time (don't recall exactly how long it is) it will lock itself.
I think you have to open one of the doors within the timeout period or it relocks. I can see the logic of not including the tailgate.

Reactions: _metafizik

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Our Equinox has this "feature" too - I disabled it. **** thing kept locking me out while pumping gas. Sure, the key was in my pocket, but come on. :p

·
Registered
586 Posts
Our Equinox has this "feature" too - I disabled it. **** thing kept locking me out while pumping gas. Sure, the key was in my pocket, but come on. :p
Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe its just because I live in Houston, but I always lock my vehicle when pumping gas so that's a great feature IMO. Our news is littered with the common scam of people walking up to the passenger side when their back is turned, opening the door, and just yanking out a purse or something left in the vehicle, and taking off in a waiting vehicle with our ridiculously common fake paper license plates.

Worse yet, because your keyfob is usually still very close while you're nearby, they can just get in the vehicle, start the car, and take off and it doesn't matter if your keyfob is later unavailable as the car is already running it'll keep working normally. This happened to people that even had their kids in the back seat. This is one of the downsides of automatic proximity door unlock too.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
Life in the US is a lot rougher than it is in Canada, isn't it. LOL I can't get the engine to start while standing in an open drivers door with my leg reaching through to the brake pedal and an arm over the steering wheel ... not worried about it working from the rear quarter panel. Guess I'll make sure to lock my doors while pumping if they ever re-open the border to driving.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Life in the US is a lot rougher than it is in Canada, isn't it. LOL I can't get the engine to start while standing in an open drivers door with my leg reaching through to the brake pedal and an arm over the steering wheel ... not worried about it working from the rear quarter panel. Guess I'll make sure to lock my doors while pumping if they ever re-open the border to driving.
Ah, that's comforting. On a Mercedes GLA, I was dying laughing the first time when my SO was washing the car and the mirrors kept folding and unfolding just because he was spritzing the doors, and that was apparently enough to trigger the automatic lock/unlock which is on every door even the back ones. So that's standing quite a bit away, so at least on that model it works guessing about 6 feet distance. I'll have to test how far the FOB can be for ignition, I assumed it was the same. I know it works from inside a purse on the passenger seat, but never tried it just outside the door like you'd be when pumping.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
Ah, that's comforting. On a Mercedes GLA, I was dying laughing the first time when my SO was washing the car and the mirrors kept folding and unfolding just because he was spritzing the doors, and that was apparently enough to trigger the automatic lock/unlock which is on every door even the back ones. So that's standing quite a bit away, so at least on that model it works guessing about 6 feet distance. I'll have to test how far the FOB can be for ignition, I assumed it was the same. I know it works from inside a purse on the passenger seat, but never tried it just outside the door like you'd be when pumping.
Your new Santa Cruz will definitely lock and unlock if you are washing it with the key in your pocket. Both my Ridgeline and Outback do that with the keyless entry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts