Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Long Time Lurker…..

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  PatrickB 
#1 · (Edited)
My story is a pretty good one. Driving a 2016 Tucson, I would get the Hyundai mailers. Back over the summer I received the mailer for the Santa Cruz that folds out into a poster, and I was instantly infatuated with this vehicle. Fast forward to just last week. I took a ride and stopped by a dealer about 30 mins from me and was told they had 2 expected any day, 1 was already spoken for, but 1 was not. They took my info and said they would let me know when they got there, if nothing else I could at least have a look at one and maybe that would help my decision to finally put down a deposit to get my name on one. To my surprise, they did indeed call the very next day and let me know that the 2 units were delivered overnight. So I went back after work (about 7 hours after receiving at call) and they pretty much laughed at me saying yeah, we got 2, but they are sold, but sure, have a look and if you want to put down a deposit and get one the list, cool. When I got back from driving it they said you will not believe this, but we called 3 people today on this and you are the first to show….this car IS available. So I traded my Tucson and came home with this Santa Cruz SEL Premium (at MSRP). I almost stopped at got a lottery ticket on the way home because I could not believe my luck. My Tucson had around 83K on it, so I did have a fairly desirable trade for the used market. And granted, had I not gotten this car it would have sold the vary next day for sure, but they like to sell what is on hand, not take orders when they can……so I went from literally looking on the internet, to driving one just 2 days later with not deposit, no wait….just simply following up right away (as fast as I could anyway) on a phone call…..
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
so I went from literally looking on the internet, to driving one just 2 days later with not deposit, no wait….just simply following up right away (as fast as I could anyway) on a phone call…..
This just proves how much luck plays in this whole process. I am in Hyundai's largest market, surrounded by high allocation dealers yet still haven't been able to buy one. Of course part of that is my flat out refusal to pay over MSRP while most dealers around me are still marking them up.

One thing I've noticed is just how poorly dealers communicate via email, I've contacted a few and they are clearly using a 3rd party service with bots that auto-reply. Early on in my search my wife used one of those on-line chats with a dealer because she wanted to see the colors in person, she got no where since the bot couldn't actually answer simple human questions.

#4 ·
I sort of ended up with mine the same way. Looked for a white SEL Premium for a few days and could not locate one. Searched all of the dealers in a huge radius. Everything I found was "Sold in transit". Ok fine. I'll shoot for the SEL w/ Activity Package. Found one in white at a dealer just 8 miles away. Called them and was told that two other people had already asked about it but no one had bothered to put down a deposit so I should kinda' hurry to test drive it because it could be gone at any moment. Left work right then and drove the 14 minutes to the lot and bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.