Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up mine a week ago, love it! I don’t Ike the white on white lettering on the tailgate “ Santa Cruz “ and want to have that in black vinyl lettering-any suggestions on how I can get this accomplished?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Picked up mine a week ago, love it! I don’t Ike the white on white lettering on the tailgate “ Santa Cruz “ and want to have that in black vinyl lettering-any suggestions on how I can get this accomplished?
Someone in the SC facebook group just did this on his own.....looks pretty sharp. I have a Phantom black and would maybe consider doing it in white.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
208 Posts
Someone in the SC facebook group just did this on his own.....looks pretty sharp. I have a Phantom black and would maybe consider doing it in white.

View attachment 3168
View attachment 3167
Now that would work!! Did the person mention how much it cost to have it done or did he do it himself?

As for color, I have a black SC also. I was thinking white, or maybe red. I'm trying to de-chrome the truck as much as possible, but want to add a statement color. Any other thoughts on colors for the SC badging on a black SC?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
They did it themselves ... carefully ... with a razor blade. I don't recall any mention of price for the piece of vinyl though.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They did it themselves ... carefully ... with a razor blade.
o_O:censored: VERY carefully

A sign shop should be able to make a template, throw that into a vinyl cutter and be in business selling the letters. I once knew a guy and he cut my boat's name this way after I gave him the artwork.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Anybody got a Cricut? :D
My wife had one - major POS do not buy, worse software interface ever! I've been in graphics / printing all my life (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) and after using it just three times I was ready to set it on fire. She sold it, along with outrageously priced "tools" to some other sucker.

·
Administrator
105 Posts
My brother and I bought a Silhouette Cameo for our mom a few years ago. She became addicted to cutting paper and vinyl. I can't believe how well that thing is holding up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Doing it in place like that is not bad if you are patient and have a steady hand. Practice cutting vinyl scraps stuck on a balloon with an x-acto knife (actually, if you want a brand recommendation: go with Olfa) until you can do it without popping the balloon if you don't want to nick your paint. It's an old pinstriping exercise.

I've got a vinyl cutter and may make a template for this once I get my SC. Making the art from a real world object is sometimes kind of a trial and error process. Also, laying down the vinyl inside the inset lettering while it's coming off a paper mask may be a little tricky - at least across the whole tailgate in one swoop. Some things to think about, anyway.

There is plenty of time for someone to beat me to it, though. I got an email from local dealer that they have a limited due in 10/23 but no other information.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Making the art from a real world object is sometimes kind of a trial and error process.
If you have a scanner it be would easier. Take some light weight paper and trace the letters (rub technique), then scan them, convert to vectors (I use Illustrator) and you'll have a nice template. Cut the letters out of paper first to check the fitment and tweak as needed.

Reactions: 12V

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
I do NOT recommend doing this with a sheet of vinyl and cutting the letters out with a razor blade. There is no way you will not cut into or even through the paint with the razor blade. 😬 Very unwise method! YMMV

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do NOT recommend doing this with a sheet of vinyl and cutting the letters out with a razor blade. There is no way you will not cut into or even through the paint with the razor blade. 😬 Very unwise method! YMMV
But isn't that how you cut the vinyl wrap? What I wouldn't recommend is doing it yourself but rather having it professionally done if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
56 Posts
But isn't that how you cut the vinyl wrap? What I wouldn't recommend is doing it yourself but rather having it professionally done if you decide to go that route.
You can use knifeless tape to cut wrap vinyl. It's tape with an embedded monofilament line, lay down your cut lines, wrap over it then pull the line out to cut the wrap in place. You could probably pull off the lettering that way as well, but you may have issues getting the edge of the tape out if you use regular sign vinyl. I don't have experience enough to speak to that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are some photos that show black letters on a white Santa Cruz. This is the company: Luxwood Trim | Product Details I had contacted the Hyundai dealeship in Canada, but they are unable to sell products across the border. I am waiting to hear from Luxwood. If you look at the photos provided by JASmith in her "Interesting Santa Cruz Cosmetic Accessories Demoed" post you will be able to see how it looks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are some photos that show black letters on a white Santa Cruz. This is the company: Luxwood Trim | Product Details I had contacted the Hyundai dealeship in Canada, but they are unable to sell products across the border. I am waiting to hear from Luxwood. If you look at the photos provided by JASmith in her "Interesting Santa Cruz Cosmetic Accessories Demoed" post you will be able to see how it looks.
Info from the company:

"Thank you for your interest in our products.

We do ship in the US, shipping fees start at 20$.

As for the lettering, we offer for the hood for 195USD and tailgate for 229USD.

If you take both, we can make a special deal, hood and tailgate letters for 250USD shipping included.

The normal production time is 3-5 business days.

To proceed with the order, we will need the following information.

Full Name :

Phone number :

Shipping address :

Part number :

Credit card for payment :

Thank you,

Jonathan CSR / Paint Technician
Luxwoodtrim Auto design Inc.
514-324-3274

1 - 20 of 40 Posts