Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I want to know how they have one on the streets of Canada while they still don't have pricing on their website!! #nofair

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Not that it matters, but I'm hoping they followed the break in period. :p

"Do not tow a trailer during the first 1,200 miles (2,000km) of operation."
if it's a press car, no chance, they will be abused, but later sold with a huge discount afterwards if that's any consolation.
some reviewers go on throttle too in a new car from the dealership who later is going to sell to a true customer

·
Registered
TBD
49 Posts
if it's a press car, no chance, they will be abused, but later sold with a huge discount afterwards if that's any consolation.
some reviewers go on throttle too in a new car from the dealership who later is going to sell to a true customer
The OEM I work for actually has employees drive them to break them in. A mixture of on road/off road and requires we write reports on any issues. Then they are kept for many years for press and photoshoots, but ultimately crushed and never sold.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The OEM I work for actually has employees drive them to break them in. A mixture of on road/off road and requires we write reports on any issues. Then they are kept for many years for press and photoshoots, but ultimately crushed and never sold.
Any pre-production ones usually end up crushed, but regular production units that are used for auto shows, events, corporate demos and so on are usually sold back to dealers thru closed auctions. Low demand models can be a huge savings, ones in demand are usually a deal but not as great.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
For me, the wet dual clutch is the big question mark for my purchase.
Same here... especially for towing. Backing my boat into my garage (up a slight incline too) requires a VERY smooth transmission operating at very slow speeds - and traditional automatics handle this task with no issues. Also long term how does a DCT hold up? This is not a transmission you see associated with towing :unsure:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Fair point. I don't have any experience with a DCT to base anything on - but being a wet system makes me much less concerned about overheating than a dry system. Smoothness is the sacrifice for performance here ... and small movements with a trailer on an incline could be tricky. Or maybe not. Guess we'll know soon enough, eh?

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
Hampton Gray SEL Premium
262 Posts
This. I am curious as to how the wet dual clutch feels after the break-in period. For me, the wet dual clutch is the big question mark for my purchase. It doesn’t seem to have been well received in the Santa Fe by reviewers.
I have the 8spd DCT in my new Veloster N (over 300hp now), 1100 miles. Smooth, crisp, excellent shift algorithms in both Normal and Sport. Admittedly, it's likely programed for a more aggressive shift logic, but it has been perfect so far.
For reference, I've had 4 DCT's. VW, Corvette C8, Porsche PDK, and now the Hyundai. For what its worth this trans is as good as any of them..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can offer some insight on towing potential. I have a 2017 Porsche Macan base which has the 4 cyl turbo. It has a little less horsepower than the SC and about the same recommended non-brake assist towing numbers as the SC around 1600 lbs. It has all-wheel drive. I got a jetski earlier this year and have been towing with the Porsche. The ski is about 800 lbs and trailer a little over 200 I believe. The Porsche has the PDK Dual Clutch and it drives great with the trailered jetski. I put it into Sport mode and it still takes off. No problem at the boat ramp. I try not to go into the water with the vehicle wheels, but I'm sure it has hit the slippery slime along the water.

I recently was due for the PDK service at 4 years and paid about $1k for that service. Of course Porsche kills you with service costs. Thats why I do the oil changes myself and not pay them $300.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,816 Posts
I can offer some insight on towing potential. I have a 2017 Porsche Macan base which has the 4 cyl turbo. It has a little less horsepower than the SC and about the same recommended non-brake assist towing numbers as the SC around 1600 lbs.
I think the 1600lb rating for the Santa Cruz is the total load capacity for the whole vehicle. of which 600lbs can go in the bed. The 2.5T/DTC is rated for 5000lb towing.

But yeah, great to hear the DTC is doing the trick. The Sport Mode button and/or manual shifting is a good work around for many things. Works great for assisting with back pressure slowing when you lift the throttle too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.