Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer told me at delivery that Phoenix is considered an extreme temperature region (duh) and therefore my SC needs to follow the maintenance schedule for severe driving conditions. The normal schedule recommends an 8K mile interval for oil changes, tire rotations, and regular inspections. The only difference for severe conditions is that oil changes are recommended every 5K miles while everything else maintains the 8K mile schedule.

I only drive 400-500 miles per month. So my maintenance schedule must be based on time instead of mileage. I think I'm going to follow the "normal" schedule's cadence but do the 8K service at 6 months, 16K at a year, etc.

What kind of maintenance schedule are you following? I encourage any Hyundai owner to bookmark this link:

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
210 Posts
I also live in AZ and just took my SC for it’s first oil change at 5k miles. Got the SC mid October 21. The oil change and tire rotation were free because of the severe weather (heat) driving conditions. Was told to follow the severe maintenance schedule. Since I have a maintenance plan, has no $$ out of my pocket so that’s what I’m going to do.

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
210 Posts
This is under the 3 year from Hyundai, but I did purchase a maintenance package that kicks in for anything not covered by the complimentary service (brakes, etc). I asked when I picked up the car and was told that service was under the complimentary program.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,091 Posts
Dealer told me at delivery that Phoenix is considered an extreme temperature region (duh) and therefore my SC needs to follow the maintenance schedule for severe driving conditions. The normal schedule recommends an 8K mile interval for oil changes, tire rotations, and regular inspections. The only difference for severe conditions is that oil changes are recommended every 5K miles while everything else maintains the 8K mile schedule.

I only drive 400-500 miles per month. So my maintenance schedule must be based on time instead of mileage. I think I'm going to follow the "normal" schedule's cadence but do the 8K service at 6 months, 16K at a year, etc.

What kind of maintenance schedule are you following? I encourage any Hyundai owner to bookmark this link:
I'm following 8k(km) which is +/- 5k miles.
24k(km) 15k miles and 6 months duration was two weeks ago

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
733 Posts
We have always followed the severe maintenence schedule on vehicles we have owned. Works out to about 7 months for 5K miles. Wife keeps her cars for 8 to 10 years, and no mechanical failures ever. I typically never keep a car past the B2B warranty, but if I ever decide to; I want to know it has been well maintained.

·
Registered
'22 Limited
7 Posts
I'm awaiting delivery of my SC Limited. I guess I'm wrong in thinking the SC has a "maintemnance minder" that uses driving style, temperatures, etc. to determine when an oil change is due and notifies you when it's time?

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,091 Posts
I'm awaiting delivery of my SC Limited. I guess I'm wrong in thinking the SC has a "maintemnance minder" that uses driving style, temperatures, etc. to determine when an oil change is due and notifies you when it's time?
You can set a notification when its due at a certain distance mileage/or Kms or duration, but it doesn't have any smart sensors or telemetrics that determine wear and tear - the App (bluelink) sends a monthly health check, but its no replacement for a regular maintenance check

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,091 Posts
I also recommend downloading the owners manual and perusing it while you wait, as the SC has a lot of tech that is useful to know how it works, how to turn certain tech off, or set to alert only etc.

·
Premium Member
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Prem, White / gray
85 Posts
might want to ask if the free oil change includes full synthetic oil. There are a lot of reports that with the free oil change the dealers are NOT using full synthetic.

·
Registered
'22 Limited
7 Posts
might want to ask if the free oil change includes full synthetic oil. There are a lot of reports that with the free oil change the dealers are NOT using full synthetic.
I bought our Sonata from the same dealer and I asked that question back in 2015. The answer was "whatever the manual calls for." The used Honda Ridgeline we bought from them called for synthetic oil and that's what they used. This particular dealer provides lifetime oil changes, not just three years.

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
491 Posts
I bought our Sonata from the same dealer and I asked that question back in 2015. The answer was "whatever the manual calls for." The used Honda Ridgeline we bought from them called for synthetic oil and that's what they used. This particular dealer provides lifetime oil changes, not just three years.
I think this is more dependent on the dealer. I was told that I would receive bulk 5w-30 for the free oil change.

·
Registered
'22 Limited
7 Posts
I think this is more dependent on the dealer. I was told that I would receive bulk 5w-30 for the free oil change.
Hmmm. I"ll check to make sure. The manual clearly states synthetic is recommended.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Electric blue

And it also states failure to use the recommended oil requires you to use the "severe maintenance schedule."
Rectangle Font Art Magenta Pattern

It's interesting to note that Hyundai apparently likes Quaker State oil, but the only 0w-30 oil from Quaker State is their Euro Full Synthetic designated as LX0w-30 which is unobtanium here in the US. Mobil 1 and others do make a 0w-30.

Also from the interesting to note department is Hyundai's recommendation to use a detergent fuel additive if TOP TIER gas is not available.
Font Art Pattern Number Circle

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
491 Posts
Hmmm. I"ll check to make sure. The manual clearly states synthetic is recommended.
View attachment 11498

And it also states failure to use the recommended oil requires you to use the "severe maintenance schedule."
View attachment 11499

It's interesting to note that Hyundai apparently likes Quaker State oil, but the only 0w-30 oil from Quaker State is their Euro Full Synthetic designated as LX0w-30 which is unobtanium here in the US. Mobil 1 and others do make a 0w-30.

Also from the interesting to note department is Hyundai's recommendation to use a detergent fuel additive if TOP TIER gas is not available.
View attachment 11502
I realize that synthetic is required. The local Kia dealer said the same thing about my wife's K5 GT (same 2.5T). I think it is more of a decision by the dealer to save some money rather than keep an uncommon oil in stock. This is why I will bring my own oil if I ever use the "free" maintenance with Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not sure why one would settle for something less when full synthetic is specified in the owners manual. Out of curiosity I check out the US Hyundai site (no free oil change in Canada) Hyundai US specifically states to use recommended oil and normal use maint. schedule…
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
'22 Limited
7 Posts
Good news and bad news.
GOOD NEWS The dealer uses synthetic Hyundai oil.
BAD NEWS: My Limited will arrive 7/2/22 but the market adjustment was raised to $2200 from $1000. I cancelled the purchase and got my deposit back.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Ultimate
1,091 Posts
Good news and bad news.
GOOD NEWS The dealer uses synthetic Hyundai oil.
BAD NEWS: My Limited will arrive 7/2/22 but the market adjustment was raised to $2200 from $1000. I cancelled the purchase and got my deposit back.
It needs that kind of will power to stand up to robdog dealers, alas, someone else will step into those shoes and the dealer will know his greed pays off, someone else will play chicken, and the only real consequence is your deflated balloon, or dropped ice-cream.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts