·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not surprised, they guessed poorly on what engine people would want. I read something like ford expected 40% to want hybrid and 60% turbo and it was the other way around, and with parts shortages as it is, they have to sell more of the turbos they planned production for.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium 2.5T AWD
46 Posts
"This scheduling halt appears to affect both dealership stock and retail/customer orders as well. Another Maverick news related to this bulletin is that the Maverick FWD will no longer be available with a Trailer Tow Package (53Q). Maverick AWD with a towing package is rated to tow up to 4,000 lbs."

So If you are going to tow with a Maverick now you are going to have spring for the AWD. I think that the Maverick is going be far more expensive that the price point Ford is expressing. By the time they hit the ground with Destination and Dealer Fees they are going to be up near Ranger cost.

I'm betting there is another surprise or two before they hit the street. I believe Ford had something like 100000 pre-order reservations. I bet a lot of those folks are going to be :mad::mad:

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
417 Posts
"This scheduling halt appears to affect both dealership stock and retail/customer orders as well. Another Maverick news related to this bulletin is that the Maverick FWD will no longer be available with a Trailer Tow Package (53Q). Maverick AWD with a towing package is rated to tow up to 4,000 lbs."

So If you are going to tow with a Maverick now you are going to have spring for the AWD. I think that the Maverick is going be far more expensive that the price point Ford is expressing. By the time they hit the ground with Destination and Dealer Fees they are going to be up near Ranger cost.

I'm betting there is another surprise or two before they hit the street. I believe Ford had something like 100000 pre-order reservations. I bet a lot of those folks are going to be :mad::mad:
I agree, Ford realized the price point they had hoped for was not attainable after they made the big splash in the news with the Maverick. There are going to be plenty of upset reservation holders. I fully expect the same thing will happen with the Lightning. It seems nearly everything at Ford is being halted for one reason or another - chips, roof covers, etc.

I blame Tesla for starting this whole "cheap" reservation system that means nothing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Uh-oh! Pretty soon those Ford guys will be sniffin' around over here! Now, I'll never find a Santa Cruz!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Does anyone know the real reason the Maverick production and ordering was halted?

I get the canceling of the Tow Package on the Hybrid in some respects, but I doubt very much that the Maverick Hybrid is canceled completely.

My best guess is they will blame it on a shortage of potato chips to feed the hamsters! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guess nobody's going to be getting that $20k XL ... OR that 40mpg ... what will they use as Santa Cruz bashing fodder now? Those were always the two big points. ;)
Ford never said the hybrid isn't being produced, and is still taking orders for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While this is interesting and I will definitely keep track of this it really sounds like all Ford did was stop taking orders for Hybrids online but they will still take orders at the dealerships at least that is what the article sounds like it is saying after the update/corrections. The Hybrid and no towing thing is intriguing though. I wonder if that is a parts availability thing or something else?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The hybrid was not designed to tow is my guess. They tuned it for max mpg and forgot it was a truck and people Might want to tow with it. Tow and mpg probably drops like a rock. That wouldn't be good press. My guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The hybrid was not designed to tow is my guess. They tuned it for max mpg and forgot it was a truck and people Might want to tow with it. Tow and mpg probably drops like a rock. That wouldn't be good press. My guess.
You could be right about it not being really able to tow for some reason but many of the compact suv's are able to tow 1.5k to 2k lbs. It could just as likely be that they don't have enough parts to set the hybrids and the turbos up to tow. Ford miscalculated the popularity of the Hybrid thinking "truck people" will want the more powerful truck. But I think they idea of such a cheap Hybrid along with 40 mpg and being able to haul some stuff better that a compact SUV alone. was the big seller. I also think you are right about Ford finding out that the super low cost Hybrids were not going to be profitable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts