Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the 2022 Ford Maverick XLT review by The Straight Pipes this morning And they mention the Ford dealer in Toronto (Thornhill actually) who provided the Maverick

Made a small detour this evening to have a look.
Looks, 100 times better in person - Personally, SC styling, inside and out is far above the Maverick. I can see how this would appeal to a “truck“ person… I’m definitely not a truck guy… 🤪

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
I wonder if they added a market adjustment to the price because the truck is now YouTube famous ... LOL

I suspect the Maverick will do well for Ford. It taps into a section of the market up here that has a complete void - small truck under 38k, where the SC starts here. It's a different discussion than in the US where the (albeit mostly nonexistent) base SCs are only a few grand more, where the XLT lives. I'm sure I'll see a few of them roaming the streets around me long before I see a second Santa Cruz up here. I'm good with that. I'm mostly curious to see the two side-by-side. Had a Ranger parked next to me at work the other day and the difference was quite stark.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if they added a market adjustment to the price because the truck is now YouTube famous ... LOL

I suspect the Maverick will do well for Ford. It taps into a section of the market up here that has a complete void - small truck under 38k, where the SC starts here. It's a different discussion than in the US where the (albeit mostly nonexistent) base SCs are only a few grand more, where the XLT lives. I'm sure I'll see a few of them roaming the streets around me long before I see a second Santa Cruz up here. I'm good with that. I'm mostly curious to see the two side-by-side. Had a Ranger parked next to me at work the other day and the difference was quite stark.
I believe it will do amazingly well… far surpassing SC in numbers…
At the office we’ve started discussing replacing our fleet of 5 maintenance vehicles (F150) as the current leases expire… it would be a no brainer, if the hybrid came in 4x4

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I guess the real question is if you REALLY need 4x4 capabilities or if it's one of those things we're being trained to think we need. I don't know what kind of work your maintenance trucks do, terrain-wise. If they spend their lives on literally any type of maintained road, even gravel roads, you don't really NEED 4x4/AWD. Growing up, we had trucks, but NEVER had a 4x4. Never stopped dad from going anywhere the 4x4s were going - and getting stuck. I think that's always skewed my perspective on how "needed" 4x4 is for the most part. Nice to have? Yes. Needed? Almost never. ALMOST. Sometimes all it does is get you into more trouble than you should have tried getting into. LOL

·
Registered
603 Posts
I guess the real question is if you REALLY need 4x4 capabilities or if it's one of those things we're being trained to think we need. I don't know what kind of work your maintenance trucks do, terrain-wise. If they spend their lives on literally any type of maintained road, even gravel roads, you don't really NEED 4x4/AWD. Growing up, we had trucks, but NEVER had a 4x4. Never stopped dad from going anywhere the 4x4s were going - and getting stuck. I think that's always skewed my perspective on how "needed" 4x4 is for the most part. Nice to have? Yes. Needed? Almost never. ALMOST. Sometimes all it does is get you into more trouble than you should have tried getting into. LOL
We had a surprise big snowfall here in the middle of the work day awhile back and all the 4WD pickups were getting themselves stranded all over the unplowed roads and the interstate.

So, can you guess who cruised on home in a plain old RWD Ford Crown Victoria, mushing right past those brodozers? Yes, my friends, it was your humble correspondent, Mr. ToadVine.

·
Registered
Black Limited
162 Posts
Had rear wheel drive for my first couple vehicles as that and four wheel was all there was. Then my bro came over with his brand new Honda CVCC that was super tiny (with a 600cc engine) and it was front wheel drive. First I'd ever seen! I was amazed how well he got around in the winter time compared to my VW Super Bug, which did pretty good. I was sold on front wheel drive ever since. All wheel is something I don't need but my Baja convinced me. Now that I'm getting older... I'll take all the help I can get!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture give you a idea, it’s one of our industrial development sites - it’s fine when it’s dry, a little moisture and forget about getting access. Anyway, it’s likely we’ll keep couple F150s

As for driving, especially in snow, a front wheel drive with a set of snow tires will do better than a 4x4 with all seasons… i never used snow tires before my daughter was born… what a difference it made, I’m a true believer of using snows. Mind you snows on my old XTERRA, it was unstoppable…

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had rear wheel drive for my first couple vehicles as that and four wheel was all there was. Then my bro came over with his brand new Honda CVCC that was super tiny (with a 600cc engine) and it was front wheel drive. First I'd ever seen! I was amazed how well he got around in the winter time compared to my VW Super Bug, which did pretty good. I was sold on front wheel drive ever since. All wheel is something I don't need but my Baja convinced me. Now that I'm getting older... I'll take all the help I can get!
pulling through snowy condition is far better than pushing through it..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We had a surprise big snowfall here in the middle of the work day awhile back and all the 4WD pickups were getting themselves stranded all over the unplowed roads and the interstate.

So, can you guess who cruised on home in a plain old RWD Ford Crown Victoria, mushing right past those brodozers? Yes, my friends, it was your humble correspondent, Mr. ToadVine.
Common site when I lived in Vancouver and driving up to Whistler in winter… my trusty VW Golf would often pass SUVs in the ditch, perhaps something to do with overconfidence… they may accelerate better in slippery conditions, but they don’t break any better… 🤪

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yeah, when that kinda stuff gets muddy, 4x4/AWD will definitely help. Just don't go all Dukes of Hazzard across that trench! LOL

·
Registered
712 Posts
The downside with the Maverick is that going from hybrid to AWD trim really jacks up the price considerably. Have you written off the Santa Cruz SE AWD trim as a fleet vehicle? You'd still get that great 10 year warranty, less maintenance concern GDI+Port fuel injection, and it has the same ground clearance as the Maverick AWD and probably better approach and departure angles just eyeballing their profiles, and the brunk and larger rear underseat storage could be nice on the job.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You missed the flag by his name - we don't get get that warranty or the base engine. 2.5T/DCT with AWD or nothing at all up here. ;)

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
Common site when I lived in Vancouver and driving up to Whistler in winter…
Ah memories of Whistler and Blackcomb! :love: You triggered it... (unrelated to the SC)

A friend and I hit that mountain the first year it opened. It was originally a Ski Club planed trip at my college, but they didn't get enough people to sign up, so they canceled it and tried to get us to join another colleges Ski Club on a trip to Utah instead. We decided to go to Whistler/Blackcomb on our own anyway and the two of us flew up by ourselves. It was right after the Mt. Saint Helen eruption. The pilot tilted the plane hard right, then hard left (after announcing he was going to do it), so the passengers could get a great view of the destruction. Unbelievable! That was the best snow ski trip I have ever been on. IIRC Blackcomb had a run that was 7-9 miles from the top to the bottom. Whistlers snow conditions would change from the top, middle and bottom. We hired a personal ski instructor the first couple days to improve our skills and learn the mountains. Came home with a lifetime memory and big suntan **** eyes. The only negative was when they sent our carry-on's through the Canadian scanners coming home, it erased all our 35mm film pictures and I was taking a photography class at the time in college. Only one 110mm disposable camera that was in my friends checked luggage survived, but the memories were burned into my brain for life! What a resort and mountain. (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just curious, could you purchase a sc in the USA then register it in Canada?
It can be imported, however, Hyundai and Hondas won’t honour US warranties - Toyotas will honour US warranties
I think Subaru you can submit your invoice to Subaru USA for reimbursement

1 - 16 of 16 Posts