Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I posted this thread in the Ford Maverick forum, but I would like to get your opinions as well that could help me to make a decision.
---
Hi all,
I have an order on a Maverick FX4, and I am really excited for it to move up the building ladder, I have tried to get a drive test a few times at my local dealership with no luck so far, at most I got to seat on a XL. I did managed however, to schedule a test drive for a Hyundai Santa Cruz, which I don't love on the outside, but I think is a cool little truck. My main uses for a truck are; random house shores, trips to the landfill, home improvement store, and most importantly to easily carry my MTB (most weekends) and a couple of small kayaks once in a while. I also have a large dog that needs a place to sleep on long drives. We (wife, dog and me) take drives to visit family and vacations that are bout 500 miles each way a few times a year, so we need a car that's comfortable and can haul bikes and camping stuff easily. Bottom line is I am trying to make a decision for the long run, I want to try to avoid the feeling that I should have gone the other way 5-6 years from now, whichever I pick I will try to use it until it dies, and avoid having to get a new car in the near future. Which one of this 2 truck you think will be have the best life span? that includes mechanically and also visually, I like to fiddle with cars to make them look better and I also take good care of them, I clean them and polish them a few times a year, as well as keep them up to maintenance. In general I try to not rough them so much, but thats the problem with my current car, I baby it so much that it becomes rather useless.
So which one of these two will survive the test of time in better shape?

Thank you for your comments 馃
---
Cheers!

Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
Over time, I'd expect the Santa Cruz to fare better. Hyundai has an excellent track record. (Yes, yes, past performance doesn't guarantee future results, I know.)

Honestly, from your description, I think you've made the right choice for you. Especially if you don't love the look of the Cruz. That tells me you prefer the more 'standard' truck look of the Maverick. So you'll be happier with that. Also if you're looking at aftermarket parts/customization/accessories, the Maverick will certainly be better supported than the Santa Cruz.

I love my Cruz. Almost three months with it, and I still just love to stand and stare at it parked, and smile every time I put it in gear to go somewhere. And my first reaction when I saw the Mav on the street was ... blah. It's very 'generic truck' to look at, to me. And my wife agreed. I took her to see the first one that hit our local dealership and the first thing she said was, "I'm so glad we didn't buy that."

Obviously you're going to get a Santa Cruz bias in here for the most part, but to me, it's all about the right vehicle for the right person. I'm 100% a Santa Cruzer, although I did take a hard look at the Maverick when it launched too. By the time it was equipped similarly to the Cruz, the price as about the same ... and it still looked the way it does. If you feel somewhat the same about the Cruz, I say go Maverick. You'll likely be very happy with it.

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
It's hard to say... both are new The Hyundai has a 10yr-100,000 mile drivetrain warranty but honestly who cares if it's in the shop more than out even if it's a free fix.. the 5yr/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty hopefully will iron out any manufacture problems/recalls.
Both have inherit engine and maybe tranny problems.. but which one is worse who knows.. I wouldn't buy the DCT but thats my opinion, I'm an old fart and trust automatic's more..
I would browse consumer reports...and other sites for problems from both companies.

Registered
Visually, if the SC isn鈥檛 appealing to you now, i wouldn鈥檛 be purchasing it. You鈥檙e going to be looking at it everyday. Personally, when I get home using my commuter and pull into my drive way, I look over at my SC for a few seconds, as if i just purchased it. Personally, the Maverick, having seen it close up and on the road, the design is already dated looking and it鈥檚 interior is just so cheap, even in the top Lariat trim.
Functionally, if you鈥檙e going to tow, Maverick is the better option, although it鈥檚 tow rating is less. If you want a smoother ride, more like a modern day SUV, SC is far better hands down.
Both will do what you described equally well.
Cost wise, if fitted out apples to apples, (actually you can鈥檛, cause SC has more features not available in Maverick) the price is about the same.
If you like the three box pick-up look and ride quality, it鈥檚 Maverick- If you like less conservative design, ride comfort and sportier drive - get the SC
im sure both will do fine in the long run.

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
It depends on what you are looking for long term. If it's just looks and basic functionality, you already like the Maverick better. If you want a statement design for a truck and peace of mind that for 6 years bumper to bumper and 10 years your powertrain won't cost you an arm and a leg, the SC is the way to go. It too has the basic functionality but in my opinion, has a far superior look and mechanical peace of mind.

Registered
Agree with the above.

One thing to consider is Mav will sell better and thus likely gain more aftermarket support. It already appears Ford offers more accessories then Hyundai. I don't like the look of Mav and it's cheap interior. The SC looks more futuristic, the interior is more in line with current trends so down the road the SC will not look "old" while the Mav has less tech and is already outdated to me. The Mav just looks like every other truck in the market - only smaller, nothing new or exciting about it. Now many people like that traditional boxy "truck" look... and to me this is the biggest trigger when it comes to sales: you either love or hate the SC look. The SC has the better warranty so long term the factory support should be there. However one worry is the DCT transmission vs the traditional automatic in the Mav. The lower trim SC models don't have the DCT so this may not effect you.

Registered
Hi all,
I posted this thread in the Ford Maverick forum, but I would like to get your opinions as well that could help me to make a decision.
---
Hi all
I have an order on a Maverick FX4, and I am really excited for it to move up the building ladder, I have tried to get a drive test a few times at my local dealership with no luck so far, at most I got to seat on a XL. I did managed however, to schedule a test drive for a Hyundai Santa Cruz, which I don't love on the outside, but I think is a cool little truck. My main uses for a truck are; random house shores, trips to the landfill, home improvement store, and most importantly to easily carry my MTB (most weekends) and a couple of small kayaks once in a while. I also have a large dog that needs a place to sleep on long drives. We (wife, dog and me) take drives to visit family and vacations that are bout 500 miles each way a few times a year, so we need a car that's comfortable and can haul bikes and camping stuff easily. Bottom line is I am trying to make a decision for the long run, I want to try to avoid the feeling that I should have gone the other way 5-6 years from now, whichever I pick I will try to use it until it dies, and avoid having to get a new car in the near future. Which one of this 2 truck you think will be have the best life span? that includes mechanically and also visually, I like to fiddle with cars to make them look better and I also take good care of them, I clean them and polish them a few times a year, as well as keep them up to maintenance. In general I try to not rough them so much, but thats the problem with my current car, I baby it so much that it becomes rather useless.

---
Cheers! Well when you consider Ford has a 3 year 36 k mile warranty the Hyundai has a 5 year 60k with 3 year free maintenance and 10 year power train which do you really think will last.

Registered
Hi all,
---
Hi all,

---
Cheers!
If you're not a fan of the appearance of the Santa Cruz, I would probably go with the Maverick. Having said that, I am the opposite and think the Santa Cruz looks exciting and futuristic and I don't care for the appearance of the Maverick. The Santa Cruz comes with a much better warranty and I've had much better luck with Kia and Hyundai products than I have with Ford (I'm still hesitant to by a Ford due to all the issues I've had with them in the past). The Santa Cruz should be more fun on the road with roughly equal capability off road. The Santa Cruz should also be more comfortable on the road (the rear suspension can be more compliant because they are self leveling for towing where the Maverick will have a stiffer back end to account for the extra weight you may load in it).

Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
It's clear what each manufacturer thinks of their products by the warranty that is included at purchase. Ford gives you a 5yr/60K, while Hyundai gives you a 10yr/100K on the main components. That said, I suspect both will be about equally reliable in the long-run, but Hyundai will have your back for an extra 5yr/40K. (y)

When it comes to other features like styling, comfort, quietness and technology; I think Hyundai has the edge there for the long-run as well.

I've owned mine for about 3 months now and love everything about it. My brother just locked in an identical Santa Cruz to mine this week, only in Sage Gray instead of my Blue Stone. This vehicle ticks off a whole lot of boxes for the 60+ crowd that are long past the need for a full size truck that is high off the ground and rides like a buckboard. No need for 36" mudder's and massive towing capacity with matching poor gas mileage either.

Personally I think the Santa Cruz is a work of automotive art and function that hits a sweat spot for a lot of people.

Registered

---
Cheers!
My bias is of course SC the whole way. With first time models, you are bound to get a few issues, the most important part is how will the OEM respond. Ford has a terrible track-record (personal experience biased). I'm still fighting Ford over an ongoing V10 design flaw from 2003!!

The SC is my fourth Hyundai and with each model, Hyundai has stood by it 100%. Even when the MPG were incorrectly reported... Hyundai sent me a gas card and I never really spent any of my own $$ for gas again. Other recalls and fixes have been timely, convenient and the most importantly, have resolved the issues.

Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
Very well versed in both vehicles. Spent 4 months in Ford's screwed up new system, waiting for my Maverick Lariat Lux. No response from Ford or the dealer, who was sitting on a $500 deposit. Got tired of the hollow promises and wanted to move on and stop thinking about all this. Really wasn't a fan of the SC looks at first, but had spent quite a bit of time looking at the SC to compare with the Maverick, since they are really the only choices for this concept at present, and they probably both accomplish the basic tasks equally well, just in slightly different ways. Settled on the Maverick because fully-loaded, it cost much less than the Hyundai. Long-story-short, I ended up with the SC. I wanted a Limited model, but if you can find one at all, or one that hasn't been ordered or spoken for, you are likely to see dealer price increases of anywhere from 2K - 15K over MSRP. I wasn't interested in the SC at 50K. Dealer informed me of two lesser trims which had just arrived. Thought I should at least go look at one. Two days later I am an extremely happy SC owner. My wife loves it too.There is a level of fit and quality, and a quietness that I doubt ANY Maverick trim can match. Even a Lariat Lux is still just a 20K economy truck outfitted with more bells and whistles. You may be better off comparing the two by realizing that the Maverick is all about lots of features at a low price. The SC will give you fewer features for more money, but it's sense of quality is palpable. I really don't believe that the Maverick would have given me the pure joy I experience driving and operating the SC. So in a nutshell it's utility VS luxury. My wife and I now love it's looks! I now feel like I saved myself from something mediocre.

Registered
The more I look at the Maverick, the more I realize how cheaply it's built. The gas door was opening on its own. The rear bench seats have lots of movement when down, the cloth on the seats detach from the foam, that ridiculous "storage" compartment next to the infotainment screen, the cheap plastics in the interior, weak front window motors, and the list goes on. Ford is not known for lasting and the Maverick was quickly and cheaply built so I really don't have much faith in it.

Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
Every time I drive my SC I am relieved that I didn't stick it out for the Ford. Regardless of trim, I think the SC is a much sounder vehicle at it's core.

Registered
the Maverick was quickly and cheaply built so I really don't have much faith in it.
It was built to a price... and of course every OEM does this, even parts of my Corvette show GM's cheapness, but Ford cut things to the bone, going so far as to outsourced the labor to Mexico. One look at the engine bay shows they just kept cutting, there is no sound insulation or plastic engine cover. Does that matter? No, not really, but it shows their train of thought. Ford optimized on price where Hyundai optimized on style.

To me with the Mav you've got the foundations of a $20k vehicle regardless of which options or upgrades you add on. But with the SC if you pick a lower model, removing a few things, the $40k Limited foundation is still there.

Registered
Very well versed in both vehicles. Spent 4 months in Ford's screwed up new system, waiting for my Maverick Lariat Lux. No response from Ford or the dealer, who was sitting on a $500 deposit. Got tired of the hollow promises and wanted to move on and stop thinking about all this. Really wasn't a fan of the SC looks at first, but had spent quite a bit of time looking at the SC to compare with the Maverick, since they are really the only choices for this concept at present, and they probably both accomplish the basic tasks equally well, just in slightly different ways. Settled on the Maverick because fully-loaded, it cost much less than the Hyundai. Long-story-short, I ended up with the SC. I wanted a Limited model, but if you can find one at all, or one that hasn't been ordered or spoken for, you are likely to see dealer price increases of anywhere from 2K - 15K over MSRP. I wasn't interested in the SC at 50K. Dealer informed me of two lesser trims which had just arrived. Thought I should at least go look at one. Two days later I am an extremely happy SC owner. My wife loves it too.There is a level of fit and quality, and a quietness that I doubt ANY Maverick trim can match. Even a Lariat Lux is still just a 20K economy truck outfitted with more bells and whistles. You may be better off comparing the two by realizing that the Maverick is all about lots of features at a low price. The SC will give you fewer features for more money, but it's sense of quality is palpable. I really don't believe that the Maverick would have given me the pure joy I experience driving and operating the SC. So in a nutshell it's utility VS luxury. My wife and I now love it's looks! I now feel like I saved myself from something mediocre.
I鈥檝e noticed the only difference between the base Ford and a loaded one is the faux leather seats, as the rest is different colored plastic on the inside. With the SC you get a true upgraded interior. Base Ford tows 2k where the base SC is 3500 and have to upgrade the Ford to the 2.0 and then only 500 lbs more. The Ford needs all kinds of upgrades to match the SC base. I even say a video that tried to match the 2 and the Ford was more expensive then the SC and even then didn鈥檛 match the SC in equipment . As far as the fords warranty it is only 3yr 36 k so you get a Texas warranty ,if it splits in half you get both half鈥檚

Registered
The Maverick is already getting recalls ......But I am jealous of the MPG just as long as it's outta of the shop more than it's in..

Registered
Hampton Grey Limited
another notable.

Registered
The more I look at the Maverick, the more I realize how cheaply it's built. The gas door was opening on its own. The rear bench seats have lots of movement when down, the cloth on the seats detach from the foam, that ridiculous "storage" compartment next to the infotainment screen, the cheap plastics in the interior, weak front window motors, and the list goes on. Ford is not known for lasting and the Maverick was quickly and cheaply built so I really don't have much faith in it.

Really? Ford isn't known for lasting..... I can find you a million 300k plus mile taxi cabs. Cop cars ambulance. Work trucks etc etc. They get retired and then sold and haul families around for 10 more years. I'm all for a good debate but I also own a shop. There are more 70s and 80s Ford work truck still on the road than all hyundai combined.

As far as cheap feeling... that depends on what you come from too. My Denali, 21 F150 or Highlander Limited make the SC and Maverick feel and look very cheap. Id describe both as budget interiors. Yes the SC is nicer.

My impression of the SC is a decent kids car. Its slow. Folks on here talking about fast are simply lying or haven't driven a lot. A near 15 second 1/4 is slow today and that's for the turbo. If it's fast to you then great but don't drive much anything else. In 200 it would have mediocre. Today is slow. Full size trucks are faster and they aren't known for speed.

The mileage is very disappointing too. IF the maverick gets the mileage claimed id buy one just for that over the SC. But id be shocked if the Ford gets the mileage i read about. Ive driven the SC plenty. It gets full size truck mileage with cramped interior and half the power. Ive put no miles on a Maverick although I have sit in a couple. Id imagine the driving experience is equally lackluster

If I were having to bet which would last longer Id guess the SC with Na engine without the dual clutch transmission. But they are both new that's just a guess by a garage owner.

Registered
Really? Ford isn't known for lasting..... I can find you a million 300k plus mile taxi cabs. Cop cars ambulance. Work trucks etc etc. They get retired and then sold and haul families around for 10 more years. I'm all for a good debate but I also own a shop. There are more 70s and 80s Ford work truck still on the road than all hyundai combined.

As far as cheap feeling... that depends on what you come from too. My Denali, 21 F150 or Highlander Limited make the SC and Maverick feel and look very cheap. Id describe both as budget interiors. Yes the SC is nicer.

My impression of the SC is a decent kids car. Its slow. Folks on here talking about fast are simply lying or haven't driven a lot. A near 15 second 1/4 is slow today and that's for the turbo. If it's fast to you then great but don't drive much anything else.

The mileage is very disappointing too.

If I were having to bet which would last longer Id guess the SC with Na engine without the dual clutch transmission. But they are both new that's just a guess by a garage owner.
:ROFLMAO:
While I agree a lot of old Fords are on the road.. But there are a lot of variables to consider Like ; How many were built compared to Hyundai in a given year, The Maint. upkeep..ie., how much has it cost to keep them going?..How long has Ford been putting cars/trucks on the American Roads compared to Hyundai?

Fast....mmmm Most of us are talking street fast not Quarter mile fast, We are talking a family car fast and a 15 sec family car is fast but really we are talking light to light, not quarter mile fast.
And who wants their 15 year old new driver setting behind a wheel of a 3-4 sec 0-60 car ?
I agree with the Turbo Life span as it's well known the harder you push an engine the faster it wears out.... Now the WDCT is a new tranny and I'm not impressed with it where the 2.5 NA has been around for while
And this is my 64 years .02 cent opinion

Registered
:ROFLMAO:
While I agree a lot of old Fords are on the road.. But there are a lot of variables to consider Like ; How many were built compared to Hyundai in a given year, The Maint. upkeep..ie., how much has it cost to keep them going?..How long has Ford been putting cars/trucks on the American Roads compared to Hyundai?

Fast....mmmm Most of us are talking street fast not Quarter mile fast, We are talking a family car fast and a 15 sec family car is fast but really we are talking light to light, not quarter mile fast.
And who wants their 15 year old new driver setting behind a wheel of a 3-4 sec 0-60 car ?
I agree with the Turbo Life span as it's well known the harder you push an engine the faster it wears out.... Now the WDCT is a new tranny and I'm not impressed with it where the 2.5 NA has been around for while
And this is my 64 years .02 cent opinion
No. A car that's slow in the 1/4 isn't fast light to light. A 15 second car is just not FAST in the USA today. It's middle of the pack at best. Which is fine. But when I see so many "fast" comments I have to question what people have driven. Malibu/ Focus/ etc etc are all just as fast and they are known for being slow. A four door full size truck is faster.... the one I've spent time driving is a Na Santa Cruz. I can't really think of anything I've driven made in the past 5 years that I'd say is any slower and I drive customers cars all the time.

And Hyundai actually built disposable cars for Ford in the 60s as did KIA in the 80s and 90s

And no matter how you want to break it down Ford is known for lasting. Hyundai was known as being disposable until recently. They have made huge gains in reliability. But to bash a brand that one can easily find a billion cars with 300k miles or more and still running is foolish. Be it GM or Ford.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts