Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts
I found it interesting that the gen Z and Millenials are all over the Mav which is what I think Hyundai's marketing was aimed at. It isn't surprising to me since the entry-level Mav is so cheap and has a hybrid engine. The hybrid is a huge attraction to the save the earth generations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found it interesting that the gen Z and Millenials are all over the Mav which is what I think Hyundai's marketing was aimed at. It isn't surprising to me since the entry-level Mav is so cheap and has a hybrid engine. The hybrid is a huge attraction to the save the earth generations.
Apparently also appealing to the save the gears generation as it has none. CVT belongs on my Kubota Sidekick.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Actually, I'm surprised October was only 2:1 Mav:SC. I expected more. But there's no shock here. I'd call the Maverick a failure if it doesn't consistently sell at least 4:1 against the Santa Cruz. Why?
1) There are WAY more Ford dealerships to actually sell them.
2) Price. If you're young and looking at entry level in a new vehicle with a warranty, the Santa Cruz isn't even an option in Canada, starting at nearly $39k. Yes, it's a different story in the US, but there's still about a $5k gap. If you're younger and starting out, you don't have a ton of disposable income.
3) MARKETING. Ford did some, Hyundai did not. Ford came right off the announcement swinging, with a working pre-order website, pricing, options, all of it. Hyundai was so far behind the 8-ball they may have been bowling instead. There was, and still is, basically ZERO advertising/marketing for the Santa Cruz. Ford cleaned their clocks there.
4) Reputation. Ford is a truck company. Now, more than ever before. Hyundai is still (regardless of reality) the "cheap compact car company" to a LOT of folks. WTF are they doing trying to build a "truck"?

I'm fine with it. I want BOTH to very much succeed. They need to in order for more options to enter the space and create some competition in the compact truck/crossover pickup segment.

The Maverick isn't for me, because the Santa Cruz exists. If it didn't, I'd probably already have a Maverick in my driveway. These crossover pickups are the size I've been waiting for. But for me, the fact that the Santa Cruz drives like an SUV and not a truck is the key selling point. Although I'd spend far less time in the driveway just staring at how good my trucklet looks if it was a Maverick. It's very generic and boring.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it certainly is time for a usable truck.
Wife and I parked next to a 2021 Silverado last week. The bed walls were so high it seemed to make the bed usable only from the tailgate.

Both the SC and Maverick break new ground...and mark a return to sanity. (Look at an early 1990’s F150 to see what I mean.)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Due to parts and shipping shortages hanging all over everything like a wet blanket, there is probably no real information to be drawn from current production or sales figures. They build what they can, ship when they can. If inventory ever catches up to demand, then we might derive some trends.

Reactions: Yardtruck+

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently also appealing to the save the gears generation as it has none. CVT belongs on my Kubota Sidekick.
A CVT yes. From everything I have read, the eCVT Ford uses on the Maverick is a different operating system. One that is far more robust.
But apparently. One that is just as uninspired in driving performance...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A CVT yes. From everything I have read, the eCVT Ford uses on the Maverick is a different operating system. One that is far more robust.
But apparently. One that is just as uninspired in driving performance...
eCVT under licence from Toyota. Built proof transmission, no issues with my Toyota. Also, true on uninspiring to even daily drive. You have to plan your over takes, get a good run up, get close, change lane and pass…

eCVT only on hybrid models…

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I too totally expected a 4:1 ratio between the Mav and SC due to MPG, price and general hype. I believe the SC will always be a niche vehicle with a small but loyal fan base, similar to the Subaru Baja.

Some of the FWD SC haven't even been built yet so not sure this paints a full picture.

What I want to know is what sales numbers were Hyundai expecting? As long as the SC is a "success" in Hyundai's eyes that is what will determine how well its supported by corporate. The problem with low sales numbers will be aftermarket support. I think we have already seen the Mav being embraced more in this regard. This is going to disappoint those looking for various add ons or upgrades to the SC.

·
Registered
Limited
301 Posts
Well it certainly is time for a usable truck.
Wife and I parked next to a 2021 Silverado last week. The bed walls were so high it seemed to make the bed usable only from the tailgate.

Both the SC and Maverick break new ground...and mark a return to sanity. (Look at an early 1990’s F150 to see what I mean.)
I have owned a 1998 Ranger, 2001 Silverado extended cab, and most recently a 1995 Ford F150 Lightning. The Silverado was perfect for normal homeowner use. The current full-size trucks are huge in comparison. Even the new Ranger isn't exactly small. I think that what will probably be the new sport compact truck market will do well. As people are worried about mpg and the impact of vehicles on the environment. I think the Maverick will sell WAY better than the Santa Cruz. I imagine Ford will sell a ton of them for fleet vehicles alone. I'm afraid once GM, Dodge, and other manufactures come out with vehicles for this segment, the Santa Cruz will be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm afraid once GM, Dodge, and other manufactures come out with vehicles for this segment, the Santa Cruz will be in trouble.
I think that will depend on which end of the market they attack. Ford has clearly gone for cheap with good MPG, basically replacing your typical compact commuter car (Focus / Civic / Corolla) with a truck - this was a brilliant move and reflected in the sales figures already. Hyundai just needs to drop a hybrid drive-train in lower trim SC to be more competitive here. If GM or Dodge leverages what they sell overseas they will have the same problem as the current Ranger: it was out date when it arrived, for example only the Lariat trim has push-button start.

Hyundai went upmarket putting the SC is an odd space as its costs nearly the same as a Ranger but no where near as truck-y. To me this is a good thing... but the general internet continues to laugh at this proposition: $30-40k for a truck that isn't a "real" truck? No thanks. Versus: $20-25k for an old school boxy 4 door vehicle with a bed and some off road ability that isn't some soccer mom CUV? Sure sign me up! Luxury and full size truck buyers want neither. The SC seems aimed at CUV buyers who want more towing and payload capability without sacrificing the overall, more luxurious and smooth CUV experience, very much the Ridgeline crowd which has already proven to be a niche. Clearly the SC is capturing some traditional mid-size pickup truck buyers but I don't think Hyundai sees that as its bread and butter.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think that will depend on which end of the market they attack. Ford has clearly gone for cheap with good MPG, basically replacing your typical compact commuter car (Focus / Civic / Corolla) with a truck - this was a brilliant move and reflected in the sales figures already. Hyundai just needs to drop a hybrid drive-train in lower trim SC to be more competitive here. If GM or Dodge leverages what they sell overseas they will have the same problem as the current Ranger: it was out date when it arrived, for example only the Lariat trim has push-button start.

Hyundai went upmarket putting the SC is an odd space as its costs nearly the same as a Ranger but no where near as truck-y. To me this is a good thing... but the general internet continues to laugh at this proposition: $30-40k for a truck that isn't a "real" truck? No thanks. Versus: $20-25k for an old school boxy 4 door vehicle with a bed and some off road ability that isn't some soccer mom CUV? Sure sign me up! Luxury and full size truck buyers want neither. The SC seems aimed at CUV buyers who want more towing and payload capability without sacrificing the overall, more luxurious and smooth CUV experience, very much the Ridgeline crowd which has already proven to be a niche. Clearly the SC is capturing some traditional mid-size pickup truck buyers but I don't think Hyundai sees that as its bread and butter.
I’m not looking for towing or payload capacity or anything truck like, expect to throw some dirty/wet stuff in the bed. Two SUVs from my past (element and Xterra) both had plastic or rubber finishes in the back (no lining) and it worked well for my needs. Both held a lot of cargo, but had to sacrifice the back passenger seats.
SC suits me just fine and it doesn’t ride like a truck or come with a CVT🤓😎
If GM and Fiat also come into play and the ride is like the Maverick and look like the Maverick- I’m out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Maverick isn't for me said:
That's me exactly. I was all over the Maverick until the SC actually became a reality. I'm an old guy, but I still have some appreciation for styling. The SC is perfect for me. I don't need a "work truck" I need a vehicle that has some truck capabilities on rare occasions, but is enjoyable for me to drive. And yes, I do like some of my creature comforts even though I didn't end up with the Limited or Premium. The SEL Activity has most of what I wanted. Seeing the Mav and the SC side by side just cements my choice even more.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
486 Posts
I'm sure it's been pointed out by others, but option a Maverick as near as possible to a Santa Cruz Limited, and you're looking at over $38k. And even at that, you get just an 8" nav screen, no "brunk", no hard tonneau, and so on.

Anyone spending $38k on a compact truck isn't going to flinch too hard over another $1500 to move up to an SC. So yeah, the Maverick can be had for cheaper dollars, but what you get is a stripper. There's certainly a market for those, but those of us wanting bells, whistles, and creature comforts don't want a stripped-down trucklet.

Apple to apples, the Maverick isn't a trip to Hollywood.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
this sales number is still very bad for SC, if Hyundai Alabama is able to stick to their original plan of 3.5k units produced per month, then 1.8k in October is only roughly half of that, I don't know, maybe they aren't producing that many. But it's so low volume that I worry there will be a future for aftermarket supports for vehicle so niche.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm sure it's been pointed out by others, but option a Maverick as near as possible to a Santa Cruz Limited, and you're looking at over $38k. And even at that, you get just an 8" nav screen, no "brunk", no hard tonneau, and so on.
Doesn't matter... Ford's marketing has already gotten the general population to believe the SC is way more expensive. $40k for a tiny truck !!! so many monies !!! you can get two Mavericks for that !!! Nobody actually bothers to go thru all the check boxes to create an apples-to-apples configuration between the two vehicles. Ford's advantage is all down to the hybrid, once your dealing with the turbo on both vehicles the price different evaporates.

But it's so low volume that I worry there will be a future for aftermarket supports for vehicle so niche.
This has been my worry since day 1.

I was hoping at some point Hyundai would have let slip the sales goals for this vehicle, but they haven't and now might never release them especially if its not living up to expectations. 1.8k a month yields a yearly production of 21k, which is well below the Ridgeline (about 30k a year).

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
I really just think..Things started off slower then expected because of the shortages... I mean who creates a concept vehicle to test the response in 2015 and the response must of been great for them to invest all that R&D to make just 1800 vehicles out of the gate... Nope I think the pandemic has slowed things and Hyundai is being smart with it.. not promising what they can't delivery like Ford has.
I really believe that Ford will only help Hyundai's sales and things will wind up next year....and it will be a sales battle then... I still don't believe Fords Delivered numbers...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts